Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scelestra)
    The upside is that, whilst I can't translate for toffee (or, aparently, for a uni offer) I have discovered the ultimate trick to passing lit is to lie through your teeth and pretend that every little thing to do with spelling, meaning or placement is some deep and literary device known only to the minds of roman sadists - sorry - authors...
    This. Exactly. That summarises every person I've ever known to do Latin, including myself and my entire class. Haha, "take Latin and learn to bull***t your way through an A level":yes:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Livy......?

I'm teaching myself Latin and I'm finding the literature ok, although my Virgil translation is pretty messy... I am absolutely ******** it about the language though, I can't translate poetry to save my life!

And with the lack of past papers/questions I have absolutely no idea of what to expect AHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa111)
    Everyone I've spoken to is doing Tacitus... I'd forgotten there was a choice actually.

We did some Livy as an unseen translation the other week and my god, it was hard. Good luck to you .

Don't worry about the unseens, as far as I've heard, everyone is *****ing themselves about it, so the boundary will be quite low I'm assuming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    "take Latin and learn to bull***t your way through an A level":yes:
    This should be published in pamphlet form and distributed as the Latin Literature Bible.

Side note - aaa111, Oxford? Which subject? (English person, Worcester )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scelestra)
    Side note - aaa111, Oxford? Which subject? (English person, Worcester )
    Classics at Univ

(bearing in mind I actually pass my exams, which is looking more and more unlikely......)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise the verse exam is only 14 days away. *dies*

This. Exactly. That summarises every person I've ever known to do Latin, including myself and my entire class. Haha, "take Latin and learn to bull***t your way through an A level":yes:
    That is *exactly* what I do aswell and I'm not complaining because it gets me over 90% in my essays.

ReputationRep:
    ahh has anyone got ANY advice for the verse unseen bit (ovid) of this paper. its just impossible...do other people find this hard?!!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedm61)
    ahh has anyone got ANY advice for the verse unseen bit (ovid) of this paper. its just impossible...do other people find this hard?!!?
    Learn all the rules for scansion = 4 easy marks

Erm, learn vocab and make sure to always check gramatically what you're translating. If every word bar one seems to fit and make gramatical sense, then just write down the translation without the missing word. You will get more marks than if you try to include the word wrongly and f*** up the sentence's meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to learn the verse as well. Tried doing a past paper (2008) today and I kept getting very confused with the grammar- the euphemisms, missing verb parts and plural nouns that are actually singular are doing my head in! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    My grammar knowledge is horrendous and I thought I'd be ok in the exam without knowing too much.........but then I tried a paper. I'm going to have to do some fast-track grammar revision I think AHH
    The only thing making me feel better is that everyone seems to be finding it hard..... which is selfish I know

ReputationRep:
    tbh, you can swallow a grammar book and a latin dictionary and it won't make a great deal of difference :P
    poets seem to disregard any grammar rules and expect you to be inside their heads...
    i think scansion is the only marks im going to be getting at this rate.
    why oh why did i think latin was a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, you can swallow a grammar book and a latin dictionary and it won't make a great deal of difference :P
    poets seem to disregard any grammar rules and expect you to be inside their heads...
    i think scansion is the only marks im going to be getting at this rate.
    why oh why did i think latin was a good idea.
    Yeah, but for the Tacitus/Livy there's the "Why is this subjunctive?" or "what case is this and why?" questions which require learning of uses of cases. ARGH! I don't think I'ma cope.

If someone had just slapped Ovid years ago, we wouldn't be here now...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but for the Tacitus/Livy there's the "Why is this subjunctive?" or "what case is this and why?" questions which require learning of uses of cases. ARGH! I don't think I'ma cope.

If someone had just slapped Ovid years ago, we wouldn't be here now...
    by tacitus/livy do you mean the unseen comprehension part?
    i'm not doing that.. we haven't been prepared at ALL for it so i'm going to brave it and attempt the prose composition, which basically involves being a roman in order to do vaguely well.
    and i agree on the slapping part

ReputationRep:
    by tacitus/livy do you mean the unseen comprehension part?
    i'm not doing that.. we haven't been prepared at ALL for it so i'm going to brave it and attempt the prose composition, which basically involves being a roman in order to do vaguely well.
    and i agree on the slapping part
    Haha, if I had a time machine... I know I'd do it :yep:

Didn't even know there was prose comp at A2. Not that I'd be able to remotely do it:rolleyes: . I can do cases of servus puella and templum. That is all. Not eve hic haec.... and ille... etc.

:eek3: Oh well, at least I'm not doing that. Is there verse comp too, and if so, are you doing that, or doing Ovid?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, if I had a time machine... I know I'd do it :yep:

Didn't even know there was prose comp at A2. Not that I'd be able to remotely do it:rolleyes: . I can do cases of servus puella and templum. That is all. Not eve hic haec.... and ille... etc.

:eek3: Oh well, at least I'm not doing that. Is there verse comp too, and if so, are you doing that, or doing Ovid?
    yeahh you can choose between doing an unseen comprehension and prose composition. but i'm definitely in the same situation as you regarding grammar right now so whatever i end up writing isn't going to be actual latin... i keep watching this monty python clip in the hope that i'll remember something useful :p: ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI
    oh wow imagine doing verse composition!!!! nooooooo there isn't thank god. :P that'd be truly horrific.

ReputationRep:
    yeahh you can choose between doing an unseen comprehension and prose composition. but i'm definitely in the same situation as you regarding grammar right now so whatever i end up writing isn't going to be actual latin... i keep watching this monty python clip in the hope that i'll remember something useful :p: ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI
    oh wow imagine doing verse composition!!!! nooooooo there isn't thank god. :P that'd be truly horrific.
    Legendary clip- I think I'll just be writing that in my exam. :p:

ReputationRep:

I'm teaching myself Latin and I'm finding the literature ok, although my Virgil translation is pretty messy... I am absolutely ******** it about the language though, I can't translate poetry to save my life!

And with the lack of past papers/questions I have absolutely no idea of what to expect AHHH
    Hi, nice to meet a fellow self-teacher!
    Yep, I'm having roughly the same experience.
    I considered doing Livy, but switched to Tacitus as soon as I realised that seemingly no-one else was doing Livy!
    Might I ask how you're coping with scansion? :eek:

Learn all the rules for scansion = 4 easy marks
    Bluch, that's the easy bit of the exam?
    I hope they give me like 3 marks for being able to do the ones with double consonants, elision and diphthongs :p:
    But as for the ones which are just long 'by nature,' well you'd just have to learn a whole bleedin' dictionary's worth of macron positions for that, so I think I'll pass, and not stress my mind with it :yep:

By the way, anyone, I bothered to learn all of the stuff like what the spondee/dactyl/iamb/trochee/anceps are - was this a complete wasted effort, since I can't see any application for it in the one (utterly useless) specimen paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Hi, nice to meet a fellow self-teacher!
    Yep, I'm having roughly the same experience.
    I considered doing Livy, but switched to Tacitus as soon as I realised that seemingly no-one else was doing Livy!
    Might I ask how you're coping with scansion? :eek:
    Hi, there are a few of us knocking around! Haha yes it does seem that I am the only one in the world doing LIvy.... I'm finding it ok at the moment so hopefully I didn't make too bad a choice - difficult to make notes on occasionally with nothing to refer to but a translation and encyclopedia!!
    Scansion is ok.. i've learnt the rules and stuff because I'm very worried about the translation so I'm thinking if I can get 4 easy scansion marks then I'll be a little happier... but I do come across a few anomalies.

Also I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that it's only Ovid elegiacs that we have to translate, so that would mean you only need to learn the hexameter and pentameter meter - I can send you some of my scansion rules if you want

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that it's only Ovid elegiacs that we have to translate, so that would mean you only need to learn the hexameter and pentameter meter - I can send you some of my scansion rules if you want
    Woo, yes, it looks like you're right!
    I guess that, since our friend 'Metamorphoses' is out of the question, it's likely to be a pretty damned straight elegiac couplet thing, like on page 2 of this ueberly useful document:
    http://www.curculio.org/meter1a.pdf

So this means that it is probably going to be just that one dactylic hexameter then elegiac pentameter pattern?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Woo, yes, it looks like you're right!
    I guess that, since our friend 'Metamorphoses' is out of the question, it's likely to be a pretty damned straight elegiac couplet thing, like on page 2 of this ueberly useful document:
    http://www.curculio.org/meter1a.pdf

So this means that it is probably going to be just that one dactylic hexameter then elegiac pentameter pattern?
    Yes, that is my feeling! Don't take my absolute word for it but I'm pretty sure

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.