Turn on thread page Beta

Latin A2 specimen papers (F363 and F364) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Woo, yes, it looks like you're right!
    I guess that, since our friend 'Metamorphoses' is out of the question, it's likely to be a pretty damned straight elegiac couplet thing, like on page 2 of this ueberly useful document:
    http://www.curculio.org/meter1a.pdf

So this means that it is probably going to be just that one dactylic hexameter then elegiac pentameter pattern?
    That's what I've been doing the hexameter can be a b*tch but pentameter is pretty much done for you, so it's not too hard

I am NOT looking forward to prose comp. I've only been doing it for a year, and I suck at grammar... and vocab... Especially all that military vocab. UGH.

ReputationRep:
    Latin is killing me at the minute.

As is Greek.

Whyyy did I chose these A levels I have no idea.

So much vocab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livi_510)
    Latin is killing me at the minute.

As is Greek.

Whyyy did I chose these A levels I have no idea.

So much vocab!
    Why do you do four languages? lol :eek:

Not started looking at vocab yet, and I'm out all weekend at uni courses/performing in concerts. This is NOT going to go well. Does anyone know if we get the grammar questions on the VERSE paper (on monday) or are they just on the prose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)

Not started looking at vocab yet, and I'm out all weekend at uni courses/performing in concerts. This is NOT going to go well. Does anyone know if we get the grammar questions on the VERSE paper (on monday) or are they just on the prose?
    They're just on the prose paper - scansion is the equivalent on the verse paper.
    But hi! - we seem to bump into each other rather a lot on the academic side of TSR.
    So you're doing Latin and which maths units exactly?

Just to let everyone know, by the way, join The Classics Society on TSR, if you're not already a member! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any battle plans for Ovid unseen? It's looking fairly daunting...

ReputationRep:
    They're just on the prose paper - scansion is the equivalent on the verse paper.
    But hi! - we seem to bump into each other rather a lot on the academic side of TSR.
    So you're doing Latin and which maths units exactly?

Just to let everyone know, by the way, join The Classics Society on TSR, if you're not already a member! :yep:
    We do:woo: Are you ready for this paper at all? I feel quite scared.

Mathswise I'm doing: C1-4, FP1-3, S1-4, M1-4, D1 STEP II,III:p:
    This time round it's C4 FP3 S3 S4 M3 M4 D1 II III :p:
    Yourself?

I think I'll bob by that way in a mo.

REALLY off topic, but I am the OP so I think I'm allowed one slip. Anyone used the M6 toll around rush hour times before? Is it worth it if I'm in a hurry or is it no different to the M6? Hah, I cba posting a new thread.

ReputationRep:

Yourself?

REALLY off topic, but I am the OP so I think I'm allowed one slip. Anyone used the M6 toll around rush hour times before? Is it worth it if I'm in a hurry or is it no different to the M6? Hah, I cba posting a new thread.
    You're doing S4!
    Oh my goodness me, can you help me with this one little thing?!
    Which chapters in the book correspond to which question?
    Because I can't work this out, I've not actually ... studied everything ... yet ... :p:
    Oops.

Will reply again about the rest, once I've got over the excitement of maybe finding this out! :woo:

ReputationRep:

I don't KNOW why i do 4 languages haha, it's horrible, and it's made it so that i have 4 consecutive days of exams this year :/.

We've got the old AQA vocab list, 700 words. Twice since I have the same for Greek aaahhh hate them!

And i think it's understanding and scansion for the verse.

ReputationRep:
    I don't KNOW why i do 4 languages haha, it's horrible, and it's made it so that i have 4 consecutive days of exams this year :/.

We've got the old AQA vocab list, 700 words. Twice since I have the same for Greek aaahhh hate them!

And i think it's understanding and scansion for the verse.
    I have 6 consecutive days!
    (That's if you don't include weekends though, since I have two one friday, and then one on each of the weekdays of the next week)

But hi from last year's Latin thread! :hi:

ReputationRep:
    You're doing S4!
    Oh my goodness me, can you help me with this one little thing?!
    Which chapters in the book correspond to which question?
    Because I can't work this out, I've not actually ... studied everything ... yet ... :p:
    Oops.

Will reply again about the rest, once I've got over the excitement of maybe finding this out! :woo:
    I have no idea. TBH I may just not go to the exam... I mean, it's just for fun, I've not declared it or anything. All i know is that chapters... can't remember the numbers but pgf and mgf chapters (4 and 5 i THINK) are the generating question. That is all. Not had time to look at it =/

ReputationRep:

Yourself?

I'm pretty well dying about every exam to be honest!
    I've put lots of effort into the Labour Party with the election and other 'distractions' instead of doing school work, for quite a while.
    So I am less than prepared.
    Yet here I am, working away on Latin verse right this instant!

For maths, I'm doing: C1-4, FP1-3, S1-4, M1-4, D1-2, DC, STEP I-II, AEA
    This time: FP2-3, S4, M4, DC, STEP I-II, AEA

Might I ask which uni you're headed for?
    Edit: Just noticed your signature!

ReputationRep:
    I bet you that poem 70 is given, with the question, "To what extent does this represent Catullus as a whole?" :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have 6 consecutive days!
    (That's if you don't include weekends though, since I have two one friday, and then one on each of the weekdays of the next week)

But hi from last year's Latin thread! :hi:
    Lol okay yours is pretty bad too! I have something like 9h15 of exams in 4 days :/.

Battle plans for Ovid unseen is doing as many and crossing my fingers.

Is anyone doing Greek here?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else panicking slightly for this now? I was given a vocab book with 2000 words in it and I have the AS vocab list which is around 700 and another book with another 250 words commonly found in prose. The overlap a bit but still... I've memorised the verse text too and there is the grammar. My head- Explode!!!!!!

...Need to start looking at the prose...

And I sympathise with you guys who have a lot of exams in a short space of time! o.o

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, I am so damn certain that Catullus 63 will come up that I would willingly down a shot of vinegar if it doesn't.

Fingers crossed it does now!

ReputationRep:
    Lol okay yours is pretty bad too! I have something like 9h15 of exams in 4 days :/.

Battle plans for Ovid unseen is doing as many and crossing my fingers.

Is anyone doing Greek here?
    I hadn't thought to think of it that way - because two of the exams are STEP, in the week when I have an exam each day, it adds up to 12hrs of exams in those 5 days :woo:
    And then a further 3h15 on the previous Friday :cool:

To anyone: I managed to find some Ovid unseens on Metamorphoses, but this particular work can't come up on the exam, right?

ReputationRep:
    To anyone: I managed to find some Ovid unseens on Metamorphoses, but this particular work can't come up on the exam, right?
    Nope because its hexameters and the unseen will be in pentameters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Nope because its hexameters and the unseen will be in pentameters.
    I thought it was elegiacs - one line hexameter, one line pentameter etc?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, interesting point: If you type the Aeneid into Spotify, it comes up with a priest reading book one. Was an interesting experience....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm0492)
    I thought it was elegiacs - one line hexameter, one line pentameter etc?
    sory, thats what I meant. :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.