Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    sory, thats what I meant. :p:
    What, so the scansion we have to do is definitely going to be pentameter? :confused: thought it could be hexameter too

ReputationRep:
    Now seems like a good time to ask, a day before the exam :rolleyes:

Is there any kind of exam technique you've been advised to follow for the essays?

Like do 5 points, with a quote and translation of the quote, explained, with historical evidence, plus a further 5 such points taken from elsewhere in the text, these with just their English translation or paraphrased?
    (Or are we actually meant to learn the Latin itself as well at A2? )

And then also for comprehension questions, if it's a 4-marker, would you make four explained points, or would that be 2 - or should you do 3 just in case one of them might not be exactly what the examiner's looking for ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livi_510)
    What, so the scansion we have to do is definitely going to be pentameter? :confused: thought it could be hexameter too
    The elegiac 'couplet' pattern is hexameter-pentameter-hexameter-pent ... and so on.
    Check out second entry on page 2 of http://www.curculio.org/meter1a.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Now seems like a good time to ask, a day before the exam :rolleyes:

Is there any kind of exam technique you've been advised to follow for the essays?

Like do 5 points, with a quote and translation of the quote, explained, with historical evidence, plus a further 5 such points taken from elsewhere in the text, these with just their English translation or paraphrased?
    (Or are we actually meant to learn the Latin itself as well at A2? )

And then also for comprehension questions, if it's a 4-marker, would you make four explained points, or would that be 2 - or should you do 3 just in case one of them might not be exactly what the examiner's looking for ...
    From what we've been told there'll be two essays, one on "how does Virgil create..... in this passage" and "how does **'s character in this passage remain consistent with the rest of book 1" or something like that.

For the first, we've been told to make as many points as possible each with a quote in the time given.
    For the second we've been told to, again, do lots of sets of 2 points, so "in this passage "quote" (trans.) wheras otherplaces in book 1..."

Comprehension, I can't really help you as I don't get it most of the time :P But if its a "what happens here [2]" then it will be 2 points.
    if it's "how does ovid create.... [4]" then it will be 2 points with two quotes i feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Haha, interesting point: If you type the Aeneid into Spotify, it comes up with a priest reading book one. Was an interesting experience....
    Lol! - I tried typing last year's Cicero into YouTube, and it came out with a guy dressed in a toga absolutely wailing it out, perfectly 'eliding' everything into one gooey mess :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The elegiac 'couplet' pattern is hexameter-pentameter-hexameter-pent ... and so on.
    Check out second entry on page 2 of http://www.curculio.org/meter1a.pdf
    No yeah, I can do the scansion...just which type can come up tomorrow? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    From what we've been told there'll be two essays, one on "how does Virgil create..... in this passage" and "how does **'s character in this passage remain consistent with the rest of book 1" or something like that.

For the first, we've been told to make as many points as possible each with a quote in the time given.
    For the second we've been told to, again, do lots of sets of 2 points, so "in this passage "quote" (trans.) wheras otherplaces in book 1..."
    do you think this set up is the pretty standard one? for the characters surely there isn't really that many they could ask about.... i'm hoping a generic gods question will come up. as i'm teaching my self though i have absolutely no idea if what i'm doing is right AHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livi_510)
    No yeah, I can do the scansion...just which type can come up tomorrow? Thanks
    Oh right, I think I getcha.
    It seems as though they will just give a whole couplet, so one line of hexameter and one line of pentameter.
    I guess it makes sense that they test both.

By the way, to anyone, this is probably just me being dim, but in the middle of a hexameter line, you can have elision, but in the middle of a pentameter line you can't, right?
    And you can't have elision between lines either can you? :woo:

ReputationRep:

Comprehension, I can't really help you as I don't get it most of the time :P But if its a "what happens here [2]" then it will be 2 points.
    if it's "how does ovid create.... [4]" then it will be 2 points with two quotes i feel
    That's absolutely brilliant; thanks so much!
    It seems as though they're pretty kind with the essays then, making them nice and open (and subjective :mmm: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa111)
    do you think this set up is the pretty standard one? for the characters surely there isn't really that many they could ask about.... i'm hoping a generic gods question will come up. as i'm teaching my self though i have absolutely no idea if what i'm doing is right AHHH
    Don't worry mate, everyone on here who does have a teacher doesn't have a clue either!
    Haha, sorry, slightly over-exaggerated, but we're all in the same bleedin' phaselus, is what I mean to say.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And we're about to hit the Sea of Marmora ... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely brilliant; thanks so much!
    It seems as though they're pretty kind with the essays then, making them nice and open (and subjective :mmm: ).
    Don't take my word on it, that's just what our teacher seems to think, and what I've gleened off the specemin papers. It could well be the case that the papers look nothing like that on the day.

In the Tacitus section a week on tuesday, there's no "compare" question apparently, it's just "how does ** do ** in this section" and "how does Tacitus show **'s ** in this section" so both are POINT-QUOTE-TRANS-EXPLAIN and repeat

ReputationRep:
    Don't take my word on it, that's just what our teacher seems to think, and what I've gleened off the specemin papers. It could well be the case that the papers look nothing like that on the day.

In the Tacitus section a week on tuesday, there's no "compare" question apparently, it's just "how does ** do ** in this section" and "how does Tacitus show **'s ** in this section" so both are POINT-QUOTE-TRANS-EXPLAIN and repeat
    Lol, don't worry, I won't come charging after you with an axe if the actual paper isn't much like what is expected.
    I am prepared for the worst! :cool:

Might I ask what advice you have been given about quoting things not in the passage provided, i.e. paraphrasing, giving an English translation of the quote as exactly as you can remember, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Might I ask what advice you have been given about quoting things not in the passage provided, i.e. paraphrasing, giving an English translation of the quote as exactly as you can remember, etc.
    You may :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Haha, sorry couldn't resist.

Yeah, erm, we've been told basically to not quote the latain unless we're 100% sure on it's endings etc. otherwise run the risk of loosing marks. Personally I don't really quote. For example, if it was how does Aeneas' leadership from here compare to the reast of Bk 1? One of my points would be:

"Well in this section Aeneas is a strong leader as he takes charge: "Aeneas subit septem navibus collectibus ex tota numero" (Aeneas went up here with 7 ships collected from all the number) which shows he is taking charge and leading the remainder of his men to a safe place. However, elswhere when Aeneas first goes into Carthage, he is shrouded by a cloud and watches his men enter Carthage at potential peril. Instead of going in to help he just surveys the situation. This could be taken two ways..."

So I described the situation rather than quoting in either English or Latin. (sorry for the apalling Latin and point, I couldn't think of any point for some reason. That was pretty *****)

ReputationRep:
    It seems as though they will just give a whole couplet, so one line of hexameter and one line of pentameter.

By the way, to anyone, this is probably just me being dim, but in the middle of a hexameter line, you can have elision, but in the middle of a pentameter line you can't, right?
    Right, thankyou!

Now to go and revise pentameter..

ReputationRep:

I've never heard of that rule with the pentameter... Doesn't mean you're wrong though. In my experience (of the Ovid elegiacs comprehensions I've done) elision rarely comes up anyway, but with it being the exam it probably will be. But I honestly don't know - if that is true, I doubt they'd make it confusing deliberately. If you understand what I'm saying

Also, is anyone doing prose comp? I'm terrified - it's one thing to know Latin-English vocab but to remember it the other way is SO hard, I honestly don't know how they expect us to be able to do it. I miss the times when there were 5 relatively easy sentences to translate.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god other people find this hard! I am absolutely screwed for prose comps and elegiacs!! - what vocab lists have people used? I've only been using the aqa list on the cscp website, are there any others anyone can suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madlibs88)
    Thank god other people find this hard! I am absolutely screwed for prose comps and elegiacs!! - what vocab lists have people used? I've only been using the aqa list on the cscp website, are there any others anyone can suggest?
    www.thelatinlibrary.com/101/

The Latin Via Ovid section

It's pretty **** to be honest, but in the later ones (5 and 6) there are some words that I didn't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    I miss the times when there were 5 relatively easy sentences to translate.
    I miss the times in year 7 when I didn't do Latin, and pokémon was all I needed to keep me entertained after homework.... Do you still like Latin or are you beginning to feel it's a chore? I certainly am. I like it, but it feels like... "urgh".

ReputationRep:
    I miss the times in year 7 when I didn't do Latin, and pokémon was all I needed to keep me entertained after homework.... Do you still like Latin or are you beginning to feel it's a chore? I certainly am. I like it, but it feels like... "urgh".
    Thats exactly how I feel (even the pokemon bit! :yep: ) Its not I don't like it because I do... But I feel I've just about had enough latin for a lifetime. :p: I will glad when this is over.

ETA: And those ovid vocab lists aren't half bad- thanks for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Thats exactly how I feel (even the pokemon bit! :yep: ) Its not I don't like it because I do... But I feel I've just about had enough latin for a lifetime. :p: I will glad when this is over.

ETA: And those ovid vocab lists aren't half bad- thanks for them.
    Someone from my class just sent me the links on facebook, can't really take credit for that. I'm attempting to learn them now.

Good luck

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.