Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Someone from my class just sent me the links on facebook, can't really take credit for that. I'm attempting to learn them now.

Good luck

Oh, thanks anyway and good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while (about 4 hours :p: ), so I'll just say a blanket thank you to anyone who has quoted etc. for their extreme, extreme generosity and general stuff

One thing that just occurred to me, however, is the issue of 'quin' and 'quominus' - does anyone have the faintest? :ball:

ReputationRep:
    I miss the times in year 7 when I didn't do Latin, and pokémon was all I needed to keep me entertained after homework.... Do you still like Latin or are you beginning to feel it's a chore? I certainly am. I like it, but it feels like... "urgh".
    I had better still like it, I have 3 more years of it!

....But yeahhh, sometimes it does feel a bit like 'HOW am I going to cope?!' At least History and French will be over soon. Mostly the History. Thank god. I do feel like it's a chore because it's not like being able to translate stuff without a dictionary would help you much in the future - even hardcore Latin nerds, translating epics and poems and stuff, whack out a dictionary now and again :rolleyes:

Don't let Latin stop you playing pokémon :p: I never did...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    Also, is anyone doing prose comp? I'm terrified - it's one thing to know Latin-English vocab but to remember it the other way is SO hard, I honestly don't know how they expect us to be able to do it. I miss the times when there were 5 relatively easy sentences to translate.
    Same here. it's wierd jumping from 5 rather simple sentences to a big paragraph. Although I do okay on practice ones I keep making the same silly mistakes (like forgetting when a verb takes a dative, or getting an ending wrong) so I'm worried this will happen on the real thing now!

Plus I've been doing small Ovid unseems from this very old book and practising scansion- at least that is getting somewhat easier, because none of the poetic vocab my teacher gave me is sinking in. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    thank you - hopefully i might just be able to understand half of what i read tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    How are we supposed to structure the Virgil essays, and how many quotations do we need? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    It's been a while (about 4 hours :p: ), so I'll just say a blanket thank you to anyone who has quoted etc. for their extreme, extreme generosity and general stuff

One thing that just occurred to me, however, is the issue of 'quin' and 'quominus' - does anyone have the faintest? :ball:
    quin = but for the fact that?

ReputationRep:

I have grammar notes, but not on me right now... Remind me & I'll see if I can type them up for you

ReputationRep:
    do you think that if i answered the literature with good points but with very few latin quotations (i just don't know them!!) then i'd stilll get the marks for knowing the text/details...... IM SO SCREWED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa111)
    do you think that if i answered the literature with good points but with very few latin quotations (i just don't know them!!) then i'd stilll get the marks for knowing the text/details...... IM SO SCREWED
    You only need to quote the Latin that's infront of you (and translate it).

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who finds this sort of thing useful:

(Original post by http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Poetry_of_Gaius_Valerius_Cat ullus/Meters_Used_By_Catullus)
    In the Hexameter rises the fountain's silvery column,
    In the pentameter aye falling in melody back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    I have grammar notes, but not on me right now... Remind me & I'll see if I can type them up for you
    That would be amaaazing - however, this is your revision time, so please don't spend too much time helping little fools like me, at the expense of your own Latin time!

ReputationRep:
    That would be amaaazing - however, this is your revision time, so please don't spend too much time helping little fools like me, at the expense of your own Latin time!
    Weeeell I just spent around an hour searching in vain for my Latin Grammar book, so I may have to get back to you on that. I hope I find it, I need it too....

Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I found it out, eventually lol.

Quin = but that,

Quominus is the equivalent to 'from' after verbs of preventing

That's obviously a very shortened version but, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    You only need to quote the Latin that's infront of you (and translate it).
    ah ok nice one cheers better get learning it now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livi_510)
    I found it out, eventually lol.

Quin = but that,

Quominus is the equivalent to 'from' after verbs of preventing

That's obviously a very shortened version but, yeah.
    Oooh yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of proverbial meanings for 'quin', since it's used in many a set phrase, but that definition for quominus is rather fetching :yep:

I can't help wondering whether you're the only one, given your name, who has opted for Livy this year? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oooh yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of proverbial meanings for 'quin', since it's used in many a set phrase, but that definition for quominus is rather fetching :yep:

I can't help wondering whether you're the only one, given your name, who has opted for Livy this year? :rolleyes:
    Oh sorry lol, yeah my grammar's not amazing.

Haha nope, I'm doing Aeneid and Tacitus, though yes it is cool when you get asked questions about how good a writer Livy is :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    PANIC lol. How's everyone prepped for the ovid, just learning vocab and scansion and practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)
    PANIC lol. How's everyone prepped for the ovid, just learning vocab and scansion and practice?
    My immediate instice is to simply say "badly" because I feel enormously under prepared, but I've basically done as much translation of ovid as possible, because my general plan is to learn how to do oit when you can't understand what it says... :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livi_510)
    Oh sorry lol, yeah my grammar's not amazing.

Haha nope, I'm doing Aeneid and Tacitus, though yes it is cool when you get asked questions about how good a writer Livy is :rolleyes: .
    As a prolific writer yourself, you must have to get them to spell the name out in order to be able to answer.
    Though, having recently read your major works polished up with dry pumice, I myself detect a certain uncanny similarity between your writing styles in any case :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.