Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)
    PANIC lol. How's everyone prepped for the ovid, just learning vocab and scansion and practice?
    Vocab, grammar stuff and scansion and practice pretty much.

I'm going to die tomorrow. I knew latin would be the death of me... :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    Presently I am trying to cram vocab into my head, and it's just spilling out the other side. I don't know why, you can pretty much guess most of the meaning anyway for the comprehension. It's that damned 10-liner I always drop the marks on...

Well at least it's not Cicero again... Although, actually, I got very high marks on that... (despite missing out a 10-mark question, thank you UMS )

I am actually despairing right now. Good luck to everyone...

ReputationRep:
    I'm panicking about the vocab - I just don't know where to look or what to learn, I've had so many different lists chucked at me!

And the Catullus will *fingers crossed* be OK. I've memorised all but a couple of lines of 63 and most of the others - is anyone else finding it really hard to remember what poem is which? Are we gonna get marked down if we write down the wrong number when referencing?

ReputationRep:
    For those doing Catullus poetry, would you advise citing which poem number your evidence is from, if not the one on the page, like He says it's a fish by using the word piscis (Catullus 8)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    For those doing Catullus poetry, would you advise citing which poem number your evidence is from, if not the one on the page, like He says it's a fish by using the word piscis (Catullus 8)?
    ...There isn't actually a fish in poem 8, is there? I'm worried now... That's the rambly 'LOVE ME LESBIAAAAA' one isn't it? Tell me I haven't missed a fish and you're joking or I might have a mental breakdown :crazy:

Aaaanyway, I have cited in the past and got it wrong - I don't know if they mark you down, but I'd say it's probably similar to writing a date in History and getting it wrong... Not that I know what they'd do for that either. God, why am I answering this.

I'd say, yes, cite the poem number if you can. If not, make it clear by generally talking about the outline of the poem which you're referencing? That's what I'd do...

ReputationRep:
    Here's a little something for all youse who might wish for a little 'quin' and 'quominus' this lonely Sunday night

http://quizlet.com/131643/quinquomin...s-flash-cards/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    ...There isn't actually a fish in poem 8, is there? I'm worried now... That's the rambly 'LOVE ME LESBIAAAAA' one isn't it? Tell me I haven't missed a fish and you're joking or I might have a mental breakdown :crazy:

Aaaanyway, I have cited in the past and got it wrong - I don't know if they mark you down, but I'd say it's probably similar to writing a date in History and getting it wrong... Not that I know what they'd do for that either. God, why am I answering this.

I'd say, yes, cite the poem number if you can. If not, make it clear by generally talking about the outline of the poem which you're referencing? That's what I'd do...
    Okay!
    Are you in liquida mente? :woo:

Fear not! - there, vae te, is no fish in Catullus 8!
    I said it merely as an example, and on something utterly spurious so that no-one went off galavanting to poem 102 (or whatever number chosen) to find the quote I'd mentioned instead of doing their proper revision!

I hope you're okay dear; no undue stress was meant!

ReputationRep:
    :O Have I been missing this all this time?

Just found some notes which say that poem 4 is some kind of conceit, but I can't work out exactly what?
    All it seems to give away is that Catullus is probably not the erus mentioned ... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all - this thread has been really helpful, so all the best today

ReputationRep:
    I would like to re-echo the words of madlibs88; good luck, y'all.

Spoiler:
    Show
    But would that be resonare or reboare? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So what'd everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    horrendous. i have a headache.
    literature was ok, but unseen...impossible

ReputationRep:
    Where is everyone? Are we all in shock?

That was a really hard unseen I thought, especially that vera loquar, veri vix habitura fidem line.

Quite liked the Aeneid questions but who knows :/.

ReputationRep:
    O.M.G. the lit was ok, but the translation was basically impossible. I just checked the online translation and must have got about 70% wrong. Well this bodes well for the prose nex tuesday................ :confused: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    aa

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think it was too bad tbh... nice Aeneid questions and the Ovid was far easier than the practice passages we'd been doing in class!

here's a link to a translation: http://www.poetryintranslation.com/P...oides16-21.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanfookes)
    ...need A FOR UNIIIIIIIIIIII AHHHHHHHHHH POO POO
    This!

'If there is any god with a sense of right...If there is justice in the world....' Please let me get 76% overall. :puppyeyes:

And thanks for the translation. I don't think it was too bad either... I mean it wasn't great but I didn't totally die like when doing some of the comprehensions in class and the Aeneid questions were nice.

Ah well, Tacitus next~~~ (arghprosegrammarquestionsfail)

ETA: Just looked at the translation and stupidly forgot to translate pulchrior, now that just sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Just so you don't have to search through, this is the quote concerned:

(Original post by Website)
    I speak the truth, scarcely having had faith it was true –
    Mercury, the grandchild of mighty Atlas and Pleione,
    appeared before my eyes, driven on his swift wings –
    it was lawful to see it, let it be lawful to say what I saw –
    and there was a rod of gold in the god’s fingers.
    And at that same moment three goddesses, Venus, Athene,
    and Hera, set down their tender feet on the grass.
    I was stunned, and icy terror raised my hair on end,
    when the winged messenger said to me: ‘Have no fear!:
    you’re a judge of beauty: end the goddesses’ quarrel,
    one beauty is worthy of conquering the other two.’
    Lest I refuse, he commanded it in Jupiter’s name,
    and took himself off right away, on the sky-path to the stars.
    My spirits recovered, a sudden courage came to me,
    and I wasn’t afraid to observe each one with a look.
    They were all worthy of winning, and as judge I lamented
    that all of their cases couldn’t succeed.
    But even then one of them pleased me more,
    she, as you might guess, is the one by whom love’s stirred.
    They so much wanted to win: they were fired up
    to tempt my judgement with powerful gifts.
    Jupiter’s consort mentioned kingdoms: his daughter valour:
    I might wish to think about power or being brave.
    Sweet Venus laughed: ‘Don’t let either of their gifts fool you,
    they’re filled with anxious fear,’ she said:
    I’ll give you, what you should love, the lovelier daughter
    of lovely Leda will indeed enter your embrace.’
    She spoke, and, with her gift and her beauty both approved,
    victorious, she retraced her steps to the sky.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't find it too bad but looking at that i see that i've made some stupid mistakes, ah well hopefully it's enough for an A... i thought the Aeneid questions were nice, i spent far too long on the first one though.

ReputationRep:
    I really messed up the Ovid! But the Virgil wasn't too bad was it? Although I think the boundaries will be high as the questions were fairly safe!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.