Turn on thread page Beta

Latin A2 specimen papers (F363 and F364) watch

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone seem to be doing prose comp? Surely the comprehension is sooo much easier? If you know enough grammar to do the comp, then 20 marks of the comprehension are a giveaway. And translation should again be straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Why does everyone seem to be doing prose comp? Surely the comprehension is sooo much easier? If you know enough grammar to do the comp, then 20 marks of the comprehension are a giveaway. And translation should again be straightforward.
    only been taught prose comp ... what kind of thing does the comprehension involve? :/

ReputationRep:
    Well.. I don't know, we just haven't looked at the comprehension, and to be honest I will suck at both, so I feel like going with what I know slightly better. This will be my downfall though, either way.

ReputationRep:
    20 marks on "who does this refer to" or "state the case and explain why" or "explain why this is subjunctive" and maybe a style question

Then 30 mark translation

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone seem to be doing prose comp? Surely the comprehension is sooo much easier?
    It just occurred to me that 'comp' is the first part of both composition and comprehension! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    20 marks on "who does this refer to" or "state the case and explain why" or "explain why this is subjunctive" and maybe a style question

Then 30 mark translation
    oooh might give it a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)
    oooh might give it a go
    Don't take my word for it... That's just what the specemin did. I don't want to be responsible for everyone failing after taking my advice...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    However, marks in the prose comp if you have been taught it are easier to come by as, generally, fewer people do it and there are many variants of the correct answer, and the marking is also more generous. You can pick up marks for style (yusing a good construction) and not even be penalised if you get the grammar within that construction wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Don't take my word for it... That's just what the specemin did. I don't want to be responsible for everyone failing after taking my advice...:eek:
    hmm, which have you been taught?

and Ed - I've been getting 50% consistently so i don't think that applies for me!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, which have you been taught?

and Ed - I've been getting 50% consistently so i don't think that applies for me!
    Well, we've been taught the comprehension. Having said that, we don't know anything about it, just what can be guessed off the specemin. Our teacher, though lovely, didn't really tell us a lot about it. So we're just bracing ourselves for the worst. I don't think I could even attempt prose comp though, I wouldn't even be able to do those sentences from AS. My grammar knowledge is crap, and that's being generous to myself.:woo: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, we've been taught the comprehension. Having said that, we don't know anything about it, just what can be guessed off the specemin. Our teacher, though lovely, didn't really tell us a lot about it. So we're just bracing ourselves for the worst. I don't think I could even attempt prose comp though, I wouldn't even be able to do those sentences from AS. My grammar knowledge is crap, and that's being generous to myself.:woo: :rolleyes:
    Lol same though. I'm going to just try and learn as much grammar as I can this weekend, then have al ook at the paper and work out whcih I think I'll fail less at :/ but like i can usualyl vaguely recognise structures and stuff, its jsut actualyl creating them i cant do! so hopefully the comprehension will be ok

ReputationRep:
    Lol same though. I'm going to just try and learn as much grammar as I can this weekend, then have al ook at the paper and work out whcih I think I'll fail less at :/ but like i can usualyl vaguely recognise structures and stuff, its jsut actualyl creating them i cant do! so hopefully the comprehension will be ok
    This is my problem with Greek! There are so many ways of doing things and I get them all confused (eg three different kinds of Indirect Statement for starters)

ReputationRep:
    I've only been taught to do the comprehension and I've never done composition before. My teacher said that generally people do worse on the composition or something. I would have like to have had the chance to do it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    I've only been taught to do the comprehension and I've never done composition before. My teacher said that generally people do worse on the composition or something. I would have like to have had the chance to do it though.
    Whatk ind of stuff have you done in lessons to prepare for the comprehnsion?

ReputationRep:
    Whatk ind of stuff have you done in lessons to prepare for the comprehnsion?
    I've just done a lot of timed comprehensions. I've done vocab tests for commonly used Caesar words and grammar reviews too but I'd imagine thats not too different from those doing the composition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    I've just done a lot of timed comprehensions. I've done vocab tests for commonly used Caesar words and grammar reviews too but I'd imagine thats not too different from those doing the composition.
    Oh I see thanks. Do you happen to have any Caesar vocab lists online? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    However, marks in the prose comp if you have been taught it are easier to come by as, generally, fewer people do it and there are many variants of the correct answer, and the marking is also more generous. You can pick up marks for style (yusing a good construction) and not even be penalised if you get the grammar within that construction wrong!
    Sounds promising, but my prose comp teacher has never been that generous with marks... The worst part I think (although yes, grammar is a b*tch...) is actually remembering vocab. It's easy to say that a Latin word that looks exactly like the English is the same, not so easy the other way round (yet always worth a try )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    Sounds promising, but my prose comp teacher has never been that generous with marks... The worst part I think (although yes, grammar is a b*tch...) is actually remembering vocab. It's easy to say that a Latin word that looks exactly like the English is the same, not so easy the other way round (yet always worth a try )
    Indeed, although I was proud of my guess of 'conspiro' for I conspire being right! But I doubt they'll throw us anything really nasty (it's meant to 'stretch and challenge' but also have a fair range of marks), and after nearly seven years of some form of English into Latin tuition I'm fairly confident on most of the simple constructions. Quin and subordinate clauses within extended oratio oblique (esp reported questions/commands) get me a bit nervous though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    Indeed, although I was proud of my guess of 'conspiro' for I conspire being right! But I doubt they'll throw us anything really nasty (it's meant to 'stretch and challenge' but also have a fair range of marks), and after nearly seven years of some form of English into Latin tuition I'm fairly confident on most of the simple constructions. Quin and subordinate clauses within extended oratio oblique (esp reported questions/commands) get me a bit nervous though!
    7 years?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    We only "learnt" quin and oratio oblique in the last few months :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyAurora)
    7 years?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    We only "learnt" quin and oratio oblique in the last few months :cry:
    I know! It seems like a long time but I've been extremely lucky in that it has always been part of the syllabus at school in some form or another. It's only been the past couple of years that it has really taken off, though.

But don't worry - I still can't do quin! I know it's about doubting (non dubito quin) but apart from that, I'm stuffed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.