Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mathematics: Imperial vs Warwick watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.. I'm also having a similar dilemma between choosing Imperial and Warwick. I intend to do mathematics research after getting my degree.. Which is recommended in this case? Not concerned with money or location because I'm from overseas anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeohaikal)
    Hey there.. I'm also having a similar dilemma between choosing Imperial and Warwick. I intend to do mathematics research after getting my degree.. Which is recommended in this case? Not concerned with [b]money or location because I'm from overseas anyways.[b]
    So? One university is very self-contained and is a campus university, while the other is in the middle of a huge urban city. Both have an excellent reputation for maths and will provide you with different experiences; you should be considering where you want to spend the next 3/4 years of your life studying.

Although on saying that, Imperial is more internationally well-known.

ReputationRep:
    both are good. both have large international bodies. warwick will probably be cheaper. warwick course has more flexibility. imperial is more internationally well-known (Warwick isn't even 50 years old...).

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is more known however it depends on where you want to spend the next 3/4 years. Personally I like campus unis hence I applied to Warwick instead of imperial so I think it matters a lot to you on where you would enjoy studying most in the next 3/4 years, would you rather be in the middle of a city or in a place more university based but more isolated.

ReputationRep:
    They are both very good universities so you probably should think about location... their both completely different.

ReputationRep:
    how about in terms of their mathematics department, opportunities for undergraduates to gain more experience and connections into the research arena? any differences in those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    imperial is more internationally well-known (Warwick isn't even 50 years old...).
    Thats not really relevant for maths. Warwick has been a very highly regarded maths department internationally from the 1980s, with its undergrad rating catching up with its research reputation in the later 1980s, and was pretty good when Zeeman founded the maths department in the 1960s (with an exodus from Cambridge). The recent rise of maths at Imperial seems to me to stem from round about when Simon Donaldson moved there from Oxford in 1999 if my memory serves me correctly (although I don't mean to imply cause and effect).

But as Totally Tom says you are likely to make your decision on London versus Campus as that is a bigger factor than the course.

ReputationRep:
    in the world of mathematicians, scholars, top employers and those who care, Warwick mathematics are slightly superior to Imperial's. for the average person who knows very little to nothing, it's a different story.

both unis are great for maths. if you want to be in megacity for the next 3/4 years of your life, go for imperial. otherwise, go for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillLionheart)
    Thats not really relevant for maths. Warwick has been a very highly regarded maths department internationally from the 1980s, with its undergrad rating catching up with its research reputation in the later 1980s, and was pretty good when Zeeman founded the maths department in the 1960s (with an exodus from Cambridge). The recent rise of maths at Imperial seems to me to stem from round about when Simon Donaldson moved there from Oxford in 1999 if my memory serves me correctly (although I don't mean to imply cause and effect).

But as Totally Tom says you are likely to make your decision on London versus Campus as that is a bigger factor than the course.
    I would still argue that Imperial is a more internationally well-known university though. You're more qualified to speak on the topic, so perhaps Warwick would be as well known by an internation employer who recruits maths graduates; I'm just talking about it in terms of universities and not the (maths) departments.

ReputationRep:
    If you will base your decision on popularity, then you're going to end up at Imperial College. But how is that a wise decision?

ReputationRep:
    At Imperial you will do projects in your 1st and 2nd years, with the 2nd year project being a group one. You'll spend about a month and a half on these, and be assigned a supervisor for both. Also you have the opportunity to do another project in your third year, which will have the weighting of a single module, and you have a longer period of time in which to complete it. If you choose to do an MSci, a project is compulsory.
    You'll find that some supervisors are more helpful then others, but the supervisor who I had for the 1st and 2nd year, was very helpful and you can ask questions by e-mail or meet up, whichever you prefer. So as you can probably tell there is a lot of scope to develop your research skills in your undergrad degree at Imperial.
    I have several friends doing Maths at Warwick and I don't think there is any real difference in terms of the difficulty of the courses.
    However a downside I found to Imperial, for me personally, is that the course is very rigid in the first 2 years.(you only get to choose a single module out of 16) But in the third and fourth years, you get given the freedom to choose all your courses.

Also you may change your mind about what you want to do after your undergrad degree, as uni maths is very different from high school maths, so try to keep an open mind.

The biggest difference between the two unis is,has been said before, the location, campus or city uni? In terms of prestige, I don't think there is any real difference between the two unis. Most major recruiters do go to Warwick, so in terms of networking aswell there isn't any major gap.

Good luck with your decision !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    I would still argue that Imperial is a more internationally well-known university though. You're more qualified to speak on the topic, so perhaps Warwick would be as well known by an internation employer who recruits maths graduates; I'm just talking about it in terms of universities and not the (maths) departments.
    I think both UCL and Imperial have a factor that everyone has heard of London and they figure there must be some good university there. For international students being able to find it on the map is a good start. But that kind of "internationally well known" isn't really a factor for home students. For home students the employment advantage of Imperial over Warwick is the small one of simply being closer to more employers eg for networking. As other posters have said this is pretty marginal difference compared to the big differences in the locations, and the smaller differences between the courses.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno, both ridiculously hard for maths probabaly, id go imperial though

ReputationRep:
    where's the challenge if it ain't ridiculously hard? haha..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.