Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just left college, where I was studying French, Philosophy, English Literature, English Language and Critical Thinking at AS level. I wanted to continue but I was considerably behind in French and Philosophy due to having missed so many lessons from when I was suffering pretty badly from depression end of last year.
    My college have said they'll take me back in September to start over as an AS student, but obviously in the mean time I'm not really sure where that leaves me, aside from of course trying to get a job which is proving a bit tricky :p:
    Academically, I'd love to study English Literature at university and I want to use the next 8 months constructively but I'm not entirely sure of what I should be doing! Aside from running and trying to read as widely as possible, and maybe doing some volunteering work, I'm a bit stumped. I'm considering trying to do a YASS course with Open University, but I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions of things I could do which I might be able to use in my university applications or which will help when I return to a-levels? Help would really be appreciated! :o:

ReputationRep:
    The volunteer work would be great on the CV. My friend has just decided to take a gap year and she's gone off to Kenya to do volunteer work. It's great fun AND it's gonna look great on her CV.

ReputationRep:
    Make it into a half a gap year, or see if you can get a 9 to 5 job and earn some cash. So maybe you could go abroad, or do some work experience

Never mind, you can start afresh later this year Better than failing AS and completing A levels in 3 years
    Get a job and save for sixthform/uni or you could even go travelling this summer You can also start self-teaching French/Philosophy/the other AS levels you're going to be starting this year. This way AS will be easier as you've learned most of the topics already and you can aim for higher grades in order to study English Literature at any university you want.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah volunteering would be great. But being realistic this is a great oppourtunity to get a job and some work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe get a job (if you can, obviously - if not then claim benefits & do volunteer work) and save money so that you can go on a mini-gap year trip before you go back to college in September.

Probably the best way to look at it is that it is an opportunity to get a rubbish job, hate it, quit before you go back to college / go travelling. Then, whenever you feel unmotivated next year, you can think about how much you don't want to be doing that sort of job again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, the mini gap year thing is something I hadn't really considered, and looking online there's loads of courses available so I'm considering it!

Still going to try and get a job in the meantime of course, and the suggestion about trying to self teach what I can of my course is something I'm gonna do I think. It's so easy to get lazy when there isn't the structure of college every day...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.