Turn on thread page Beta

Israeli commander: 'We rewrote the rules of war for Gaza' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    You can if you like. I don't really know the Israel/Palestine conflict well enough to say. Do you have any examples of the Israeli government targeting civilians to fulfil a political aim? I can't really. I don't think Israel attacks the pali civilians for any specific purpose.
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yet, you're happy to brand Hamas as a terrorist organisation?

You're taking the piss aren't you - you're having a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    OK. Yes, it would be a good thing in principle, if it was around Israel's territory (which is less than half what they currently occupy) and Israel did not use it to humiliate the 100s of 1000s of innocent Palestinians who have to cross through their intentionally slow check-points several times a day, send troops across to terrorise the population and shoot at its rain-collectors, subject them to water-torture (according to Amnesty International) and generally have a heavy hostile presence in land which is not there.

Then, it would be OK but it is nothing like this in reality, hence why it is an apartheid regime.

Oh, and a source for what I said:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6891154.ece
    God damn son, stick to the ******* issue next time. A 'yes' would have sufficed. I don't care that the people are fighting over the desert and they all want to kill each other. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the jewish nationalists and arab terrorists kill each other, it makes the world a nicer place for the rest of us normal people to live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    No, the PA that takes the role of the Israeli military in the West Bank.
    Yeah the one under Israeli control.

Still racist. Still apartheid.
    It is a racist policy but it's not comparable to Isareli policy.

Comment all you want, just don't limit it to Israel.
    You'd be happy to know I don't.

ReputationRep:
    Thread temporarily closed. Some cleaning up is needed here, but it will probably be reopened shortly.

Edit: re-opening. Please keep the discussion sensible and avoid personal insults or the thread is liable to be permanently closed.

ReputationRep:
    No, this is where you completely ignore the ever so valid point I just made and talk a load of nonsense! :woo:

Now, please, criticise the other regimes for being apartheid. Go on.
    Just a gram of wrong compared to a gazillion tonnes of evil on any objective scale of comparison.

You don't have to go to Saudi if you don't like their divisions along religious lines. And as Sakujo said: “You do realise what that is? It's a road sign to Mecca. A place where non-Muslims haven't lived for over a thousand years and is considered holy to Muslims. It's not comparable to the land of Palestine, where Arabs had lived for over a thousand years then Zionist settlers displaced them or to the Law of Return.”

And neither do I think the Palestinian people had a choice not to be in their own land when Israel decided that they would take it all and make Palestinian lives a living hell for the next 70 years at the very least; and let's see how long this oppression continues.

(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Easy to just designate war as a massacre, therefore those who win wars are always committing massacres. However perhaps you should blame the wside which is causing the wars(Eg. Palestinian militant groups such as Hamas) rather than the side which is trying to minimize civilian casualties in a very difficult situation.
    Under no situation can you define the Israeli military as "the side which is trying to minimize civilian casualties". And no, victors of war are usually just that, victors. Nations who mass-bomb civilian populations are not victors of war, they are the culprits of a massacre.

Last time I checked the laws of logic, bombing civilian residences does quite the opposite to minimising their deaths. But you know that.

You're almost as funny as JakePearson mate, though not quite. :rolleyes:

(Original post by george54)
    I think your lying.
    Of course he's lying!

I also think that they don't want to kill your family, I think they'd rather have their houses back.

I also think that your sob stories may have more effect being told to someone who hasn't visited the home (check that; tent) of a family who's 7 year old son was sniped for throwing a rock at the tank that bulldozed through his home, and, coincidentally, his granddad.
    Indeed. I've been to "Israel" too (I refuse to call illegally acquired territories as part of the "greater-Israel" without the inverted commas.

To justify taking the homes from Palestinians and killing stone-throwing children (who throw stones against huge tanks and armoured vehicles) is utterly sickening. Anybody who tries is no better than the worst of genocidal dictators in history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Not the jews my friend, the Zionists. Those are the evil turds who give the human race a bad name.
    "Just as antisemitism denies Jews their rights as individuals in society, anti-Zionism attacks the Jewish people as a nation, on the international level. Similar to the use of "the Jew" as a scapegoat for many of society's problems, Israel has been singled out for special condemnation in the international arena.

"The goal of anti-Zionism is to undermine the legitimacy of Israel, thereby denying the Jewish people their place in the community of nations. Denigration of Zionism is therefore an attack on Israel's basic right to exist as a nation equal to all other nations, in violation of one of the fundamental principles of international law.

"Moreover, it is no coincidence that the recent censure of Israel in international forums and the media has been accompanied by a sharp increase in antisemitic incidents in many parts of the world."

I see it in the way that Israel knew full well the consequences of their actions, by ignoring Ban Ki Moon's wishes for a ceasefire.
    I doubt Hamas were big on ceasefires.

Why did Israel continue to bomb heavily populated areas?
    To root out terrorists. The IDF took the utmost care and precision in their operations.

Why did an IDF jet bomb the only flour mill in the Gaza strip?
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...841604,00.html

Why did Israel give figures concerning dead Palestinians, different to that of the U.N?
    Source? Israeli figures? UN figures? It'd help.

Why did Israel ban Arab parties from running for office?
    They didn't. In Israel you mean? The same Israel that mandates 15% of seats in their parliament be filled by Arabs?

Why did Israel cut off water supplies to Gaza?
    They didn't. They gave them 20 million more gallons than was agreed in the water treaty.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who tries is no better than the worst of genocidal dictators in history.
    Am I one of those? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straightpath)
    How does this apply to Gaza though? If the Israeli soldiers weren't in residential areas in the first place, how would they be at risk from civilian suicide bombers, as you put it?
    ...and if Hamas hadn't launched rocket and bomb attacks at civilians Israel wouldn't have taken action in the first place.

Both sides are equally to blame when you consider the complex sequence of events and reactions to these events over the course of decades.

(Original post by Straightpath)
    What do you have to say then about Isreal killing over 1000 civilians in its offense on Gaza. I swear Hamas have only killed about 10 Israeli civilians in how many years?
    Any loss of life is unacceptable.

Just because Hamas is less efficient at killing it doesn't instantly legitimise their actions and criminalise others.

Would you be a terrorist if an army invaded here and you stood up to fight them ?
    I can understand hitting military targets if you're genuinely fighting for your country but I cannot understand intentionally targeting civilians - that is the work of a terrorist.

(Original post by Qaz25)
    Although, if rockets are still being fired anyway then it obviously shows that the Gaza MASSACRE ( ) was a failure since the aim of the operation was to stop the firing of rockets.

Therefore, this shows that Israel committed war crimes for no successful outcome. So they killed thousands of innocent people and also risked the lives of their own soldiers for little success. WELL DONE ISRAEL! :clap2:
    What do you expect Israel to do? Roll on it's back an die?

Hamas may be fighting for it's people but equally so is Israel.

(Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    Hamas would have fought with the Israelis face to face, because they are not afraid of death, but it's the scared Israeli soldiers who decided to kill the innocent using computerised planes and missiles that stroke from miles in Israel.
    You learn a new thing every day - I didn't realise that they accidentally hide behind civilians and use rockets, mortars, suicide bombs, etc.

(Original post by Qaz25)
    This point is being made in order to outline the fact that Israel has never been punished for the atrocities it has committed.
    Nor has Hamas.

One day both sides will be brought accountable for their actions and it won't be by a rogue, biased and extremist state like Iran.

Today, the whole Middle-East and much of North Africa as well as some of Asia lives within range of illegal Israeli nuclear weapons.

Tell me, who poses the greater threat?
    The action of the US, the UK, etc has prevented Israel from joining/starting conflicts in the past and they will continue to do so in the future.

It is in nobody's interests to start a nuclear war and likewise why there hasn't been a significant conflict involving a country which possesses nuclear weapons since WWII.

(Original post by Rucklo)
    Prove they were Hamas fighters.
    Prove they weren't - circular argument.

(Original post by Rucklo)
    And there protecting there people, from ***** like Israel who take there land.
    ...likewise Israel acts to protect its people from attacks - another circular argument.

ReputationRep:
    "Just as antisemitism denies Jews their rights as individuals in society, anti-Zionism attacks the Jewish people as a nation, on the international level. Similar to the use of "the Jew" as a scapegoat for many of society's problems, Israel has been singled out for special condemnation in the international arena.

"The goal of anti-Zionism is to undermine the legitimacy of Israel, thereby denying the Jewish people their place in the community of nations. Denigration of Zionism is therefore an attack on Israel's basic right to exist as a nation equal to all other nations, in violation of one of the fundamental principles of international law.

"Moreover, it is no coincidence that the recent censure of Israel in international forums and the media has been accompanied by a sharp increase in antisemitic incidents in many parts of the world."
    What a load of tosh. :rolleyes:

Just because you italicise and put quotation marks around a piece of text, does not stop it from being absolute bull****. :yep:

Oh, an Israeli source.

That will be objective and trustworthy, I'm sure. :curious:

They didn't. They gave them 20 million more gallons than was agreed in the water treaty.
    Oh really?

Here is an article covering Amnesty International's (an objective humanitarian charity) report on the matter (covered by a respected British newspaper):

Entitled: World Agenda: Palestinians suffer under Israeli water torture
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6891154.ece

(Original post by Stalin)
    Am I one of those? :rolleyes:
    I genuinely couldn't say. Not studied that area of history properly yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    What do you expect Israel to do? Roll on it's back an die?
    To lift the seige.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand hitting military targets if you're genuinely fighting for your country but I cannot understand intentionally targeting civilians - that is the work of a terrorist.
    In that case call me and everyone who would do so a hypothetical terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    Just a gram of wrong compared to a gazillion tonnes of evil on any objective scale of comparison.

You don't have to go to Saudi if you don't like their divisions along religious lines. And as Sakujo said: “You do realise what that is? It's a road sign to Mecca. A place where non-Muslims haven't lived for over a thousand years and is considered holy to Muslims. It's not comparable to the land of Palestine, where Arabs had lived for over a thousand years then Zionist settlers displaced them or to the Law of Return.”

And neither do I think the Palestinian people had a choice not to be in their own land when Israel decided that they would take it all and make Palestinian lives a living hell for the next 70 years at the very least; and let's see how long this oppression continues.

Under no situation can you define the Israeli military as "the side which is trying to minimize civilian casualties". And no, victors of war are usually just that, victors. Nations who mass-bomb civilian populations are not victors of war, they are the culprits of a massacre.

Last time I checked the laws of logic, bombing civilian residences does quite the opposite to minimising their deaths. But you know that.

Of course he's lying!

Indeed. I've been to "Israel" too (I refuse to call illegally acquired territories as part of the "greater-Israel" without the inverted commas.

To justify taking the homes from Palestinians and killing stone-throwing children (who throw stones against huge tanks and armoured vehicles) is utterly sickening. Anybody who tries is no better than the worst of genocidal dictators in history.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssrKJ3Iqcw

Watch that please.

ReputationRep:
    So the Jordanian law banning Jews from becoming citizens is nothing compared to what Israel does? (Israel - the country that mandates freedom of speech, religion and assembly for all - even Arabs)

DOES IT MAKE IT RIGHT THOUGH? NO. The Palestinian Authority's law of return for Muslims is just as bad as Israel's Jewish one, surely, as Jews have lived there for thousands of years too?

It's not oppression. The oppression is the actions of other states in the region throughout Israel's history, and their actions against the Jewish people.

Of all the countries in the world that face the kind of threat Israel does, no other army takes as much care to minimalise collateral damage. FACT.

Not civilian houses - Hamas terrorists' houses. :holmes:

Why thank you! It's nice to get away from the personal attacks.

Of course he's lying!
    And we're back. Please don't tell me that I'm lying, implying you know more about my life than I do. I have had family killed by Hamas rockets. Any claim that I am lying is nothing short of *****shness.

Sigh. You are so misinformed it is ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    What a load of tosh. :rolleyes:

Just because you italicise and put quotation marks around a piece of text, does not stop it from being absolute bull****. :yep:
    And just because you say something does not mean I should bow down and take it as fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yet, you're happy to brand Hamas as a terrorist organisation?

You're taking the piss aren't you - you're having a laugh?
    Does Hamas deliberately target civilians to fulfil it's agenda? Yes, it does.

Does Israel? I don't really know. Do you have any examples of it doing so?

ReputationRep:
    Suppose Germany started constantly shooting rockets to the French soil. What do you think France would do even if the casualties were low? What would you do?

Not many of you seem to understand how the Israeli-Palestinian conflict isn't only fought with weapons. It is also fought with media. Hamas plays its role of freedom fighters of an oppressed state well, and, believe me, they do their best to make Israel look as bad as they can. This involves deceit. And Israel is no different.

Now why is there no peace in Middle East? And whose fault is it?

ReputationRep:

Prove they were Hamas fighters.
    Prove they weren't - circular argument.
    That's utterly ridiculous. I already had this argument with somebody.

The onus is surely on the positive to establish that somebody is a Hamas fighter before bombing his residence!

It is impossible to prove a negative. Can I prove you're not a Hamas fighter right now? No, and I never will be able to. That does not justify my use of force against you and it never will.

Innocent until proven guilty wraps this all up, or society will break down and Israel will be ceaselessly bombing Gaza... oh no - wait, that has already happened.

ReputationRep:
    It is in nobody's interests to start a nuclear war and likewise why there hasn't been a significant conflict involving a country which possesses nuclear weapons since WWII.
    Are you forgetting about the Korean War or Vietnam - where the US, China and the Soviet Union fought against one another? Moreover, each side, by the time the Vietnam War came about had WMDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squeegy)
    Suppose Germany started constantly shooting rockets to the French soil. What do you think France would do even if the casualties were low? What would you do?

Not many of you seem to understand how the Israeli-Palestinian conflict isn't only fought with weapons. It is also fought with media. Hamas plays its role of freedom fighters of an oppressed state well, and, believe me, they do their best to make Israel look as bad as they can. This involves deceit. And Israel is no different.

Now why is there no peace in Middle East? And whose fault is it?
    Yes, with all their powerful media influence and the billions of pounds they have to waste on propaganda. It's not as if they barely have enough money for food and water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssrKJ3Iqcw

Watch that please.
    Erm, no. :erm:

I could tell you to watch a billion videos and read a thousand books I've read parts of.

If you aren't going to invest the effort of speaking to me directly, I'll aptly ignore your YouTube links. :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.