Turn on thread page Beta

Seeing a bi-sexual boy, afraid of my school year watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently a boy in the year above came out as bi-sexual, and the immature boys in my year (11) just took the piss loads and have been giving him a really hard time. We're now "seeing" each other, and may get together soon, but I'm a little worried about the abuse I may get when the relationship becomes public. Things like this never do bother me, but some boys in my year have been spitting on him and making very harsh comments.

I've never really experienced anything like this before, so your advice would really help. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    if you like him, it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks, says or does, darling. you can't change or not have a relationship because you're scared of other peoples reactions. x

ReputationRep:
    year 11 is nearly over and by sixth-form all the ignorant chavs will probably have left and you wont have to worry about them... in the mean time just ignore them and their stupid type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabian)
    It is really shocking that you make a relationship with this guy. A girl should be very offended when her boyfriend cheats on her with another girl, how come you will not feel offended when he cheats on you with a guy.

I feel it is so sick, sorry if you find my comment harsh but I am just being honest and to the point. I advice you to end this relationship and find someone straight
    just cos he's bi-sexual doesnt mean he's gonna cheat on her

ReputationRep:
    Spitting? Thats pretty low.

What does he do in return. Does he stand up to them or is it a bit of a mob?

My advice: They've latched onto something they can dog him about. He's gonna have to ignore them until they get bored. Or he could start working out, get ripped and his physical appearance will make them change their impression of him.

Probably not that helpful, but might do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeSkywalker)
    year 11 is nearly over and by sixth-form all the ignorant chavs will probably have left and you wont have to worry about them... in the mean time just ignore them and their stupid type
    This. Just be there for him if you really like him

ReputationRep:
    The school has a responsibility to prevent bullying of any kind, for a start. Secondly, if you're moving into the sixth form be aware that a lot of the idiots tend to leave or mature by then, so hopefully they'll stop of their own accord anyway. If you like the guy, be there for him - if you do end up getting together the fact he's getting some would be a fairly good comeback for him. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabian)
    It is really shocking that you make a relationship with this guy. A girl should be very offended when her boyfriend cheats on her with another girl, how come you will not feel offended when he cheats on you with a guy.

I feel it is so sick, sorry if you find my comment harsh but I am just being honest and to the point. I advice you to end this relationship and find someone straight
    You're an idiot.

OP: If you really like him then you can ignore all that rubbish. Those boys are just immature and I would ignore them. However don't engage into a relationship with him and resent him if they make the odd comment.

Just because he's bisexual doesn't mean he's not capable and or wants a straight relationship at all. I know several 'bisexual' people in straight relationships and they have no problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    If you're more concerned about what people think, than the quality of the relationship with this guy; you appear a tad immature.

If you like him, what does the fact he's bisexual have to do with anything? He's chosen to spend time with you. Being bisexual doesn't mean he'll cheat on you with a guy or a girl - it simply means he can be attracted to either sex. In your case, he's attracted to you.

You're obviously 15/16, so are probably going to care more about the opinion of others than your own happiness - try and grow out of this quickly and don't let it ruin what could be a good relationship.

Your peers will be immature and cruel - you won't change them, but you can change how you react to them. Don't let them get to you.

ReputationRep:
    I you going to make the relationship public, or is it going to become other people finding out and spreading the word? If you are going to make it public voluntarily, don't. Year 11 students can be right t***s. Wait till Sixth Form, everyone should be more mature by then.

If everyone just finds out, well I am not really sure I can help you. :sad:

Bisexual doesn't mean that someone prefers their own sex - if that were the case, they'd be gay My boyfriend's bi and although I don't necessarily self-define as anything, I'd probably be considered bi too... Just because either of us can be attracted to either sex doesn't mean that we don't love each other. I don't see how sexuality is relevant - when you're in a relationship with someone all that's important is that you're attracted to and love the person they're with. Whether you might potentially be attracted to someone of a different gender if you weren't in a relationship is irrelevant. For the record, my boyfriend's never cheated on me and I've been in and out of monogamous relationships for five years.

OP - they'll get over it. As long as you're happy and aren't bothered too much everyone will just leave it alone eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I find it weird how a 16 year old would really feel the need to 'come out' as bi-sexual, bit young imo

ReputationRep:
    just ignore them and wait for them to grow up. it's what everyone says, but it does normally work, they'll get bored and move on. and just because this guy is their punching bag at the moment, doesn't mean this will continue for too long, or that they'll be so harsh on you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man the **** up. Seriously.

(Original post by Dnator)
    I find it weird how a 16 year old would really feel the need to 'come out' as bi-sexual, bit young imo
    Why is somebody not allowed to be bisexual at 16?

ReputationRep:
    my friends have known i was bi since i was about 14 and realised myself, if you know that you are bi/gay then wouldn't you want people around you to know? whatever age you are, it's not fun having to hide something about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    What the ****? Coming out is an important part of being happy with yourself, otherwise you're basically lying by omission about one of the most crucial parts of your identity & that's pretty damaging. & I hate this attitude that LGBT people can't be sure about their sexuality until they're older, no one tells straight people that they're going through a 'phase' or whatever other ******** homophobes come up with. If someone can be sure they're straight, then other people can be sure they're gay.

OP: Yeah, just ignore them. If we let the opinions of ignorant chavs decide our lives, we'd have pretty **** lives.

ReputationRep:
    So? If people do give you grief over it ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    What the ****? Coming out is an important part of being happy with yourself, otherwise you're basically lying by omission about one of the most crucial parts of your identity & that's pretty damaging. & I hate this attitude that LGBT people can't be sure about their sexuality until they're older, no one tells straight people that they're going through a 'phase' or whatever other ******** homophobes come up with. If someone can be sure they're straight, then other people can be sure they're gay.

OP: Yeah, just ignore them. If we let the opinions of ignorant chavs decide our lives, we'd have pretty **** lives.
    Im not homophobic, its just funny when kids are declaring their bisexuality, though obviously its usually girls, though I would say a guy who says he is bisexual probably is, no guy would be willing to take the **** he will get for that if it wasnt true

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.