Turn on thread page Beta

Would occasionaly smoking weed affect my health? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    snip
    Try again:

http://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/op...drug_harms.pdf

ps. you're wrong :yes:

EDIT - if you can't be bothered reading the whole thing, check out the section on cannabis in particular, or the chart on page 10

ReputationRep:

1) That link doesn't work for a start.

2) I never said that you lied, or that what you said was not a real and somewhat scientifically substantiated point of view. So posting one link which supports what you said means nothing, there are a lot of studies which support what you said.

3) There are, however, a great deal of scientific studies, including some published in the revered Journal of applied physiology which disagree with the view that cannabis is not as harmful as the source you advocate as true posits. As such, a single web-link source (which doesn't work by the way) from a not-so-respected laboratory-study in one situation does not prove your point at all.

Conclusion: That link, which is an article I believe entitled: "Evidence that cannabis causes less harm than nicotine or alcohol" is just that: evidence. It is not conclusive, objectively-agreed and unassailable proof of your argument that it is, with certainty, less harmful and it remains just another of many unproven and contentious scientific hypotheses.

Although there are arguments about just how harmful cannabis is there is very little doubt amongst the scientific community about the fact that it is less harmful and addictive than both alcohol and tobacco. For a start cannabis is non-lethal; whereas too much nicotine or alcohol can kill you in one.

I smoke everyday and it hasnt done anything bad......SO FAR!

ReputationRep:
    No

(Original post by Ham22)
    is it worth the risk? you could perminantly alter your mental state.
    Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.
    Doesn't sound like much of risk for once every couple weeks....

ReputationRep:
    no
    not at all
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    For a start cannabis is non-lethal; whereas too much nicotine or alcohol can kill you in one.
    Cannabis can kill you....if you smoke half your body weight in one sitting. To be honest though, in that situation, you'd die through lack of Oxygen before the Cannabis even got a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Depends how much you're smoking each time, but generally, although I don't recommend drug use, it's unlikely to do any significant damage. But what's the point? Is it really worth the risks?
    Same reason could be used for alcohol though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Cannabis can kill you....if you smoke half your body weight in one sitting. To be honest though, in that situation, you'd die through lack of Oxygen before the Cannabis even got a chance.
    I think people have tested extracting the active ingridients of cannabis then injecting say 50 plants worth, and they just went mental for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Weed is a lot less harmful than alcohol, so you're absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Same reason could be used for alcohol though.
    I know.

The OP isn't asking about alcohol though, so what's the relevance?

ReputationRep:
    I think people have tested extracting the active ingridients of cannabis then injecting say 50 plants worth, and they just went mental for a few days.
    Exactly. Nothing is 'non-toxic' but there are some things that come so close that its worth considering them perfectly safe. Like water really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon4042)
    "OH WHY IS IT ILLEGAL THEN?!"

Government can't tax it if it was legal.

Yes they can!!! cigarettes are ******* taxed to the max!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    fail.
    You fail at producing a constructive argument. Elaborate, or stop being a little troll.

ReputationRep:
    Although there are arguments about just how harmful cannabis is there is very little doubt amongst the scientific community about the fact that it is less harmful and addictive than both alcohol and tobacco.
    I know, but not nicotine. :rolleyes: That is what I am contending here.

For a start cannabis is non-lethal; whereas too much nicotine or alcohol can kill you in one.
    That means nothing. Too much water can kill you in one go (oedema)... doesn't mean it's not good / necessary in appropriate quantities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muddy91)
    Yes they can!!! cigarettes are ******* taxed to the max!
    Bit impossible to grow your own **** mate.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but not nicotine. That is what I am contending here.

That means nothing. Too much water can kill you in one go (oedema)... doesn't mean it's not good / necessary in appropriate quantities.
    It means that in the short term cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. It means that cannabis, in the short term, is as safe to use as water. Whereas alcohol and nicotine are not. That means in the short term cannabis is 100% guaranteed safer than alcohol and tobacco. Nicotine in itself in low amounts isn't really dangerous, but the carrier of nicotine i.e. tobacco, kills like 10% of our population. You'd have to be retarded to say that cannabis is anywhere near as harmful as nicotine and alcohol, o wait...

ReputationRep:
    Not impossible at all. I don't know why people don't do it! i would!

ReputationRep:
    I know, but not nicotine. :rolleyes: That is what I am contending here.

Then read the frickin' source!?

ReputationRep:
    Im sure if they made it legal, alot more people would go to the shops and buy marijuana ciggarettes, than grow their own...

ReputationRep:
    no it wont affect it that badly - if it was that bad would it be legal in places like amsterdam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.