Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would occasionaly smoking weed affect my health? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Not at all. I could say that eating a sheet of paper once a week is unlikely to do any significant damage, but it's not worth the risks. Alcohol has nothing to do with what the OP is asking. I'm not giving my views on alcohol or eating paper though. They're asking is smoking weed once a week is likely to do any damage, so let's address that question maybe. It's not difficult.
    I'm not sure why we must refrain for comparing the harms of drugs? It gives the OP a perspective. You stated that it wasn't worth the risk. However it is highly likely that most people drink alcohol most weekends and so are putting themselves at a similar/worse risk and wouldn't care about another similar risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Cannabis can have detrimental effects, particularly if it's smoked. What seems to be missing throughout this discussion is the fact that consuming any substance poses certain risks. Risk is an ineradicable part of life--we have to decide how much risk we'll tolerate. So, while a person might tolerate the detrimental effects of cannabis, that does not mean the detrimental effect doesn't exist. I don't particularly care about cannabis consumption, but you can't compare consuming cannabis with consuming salt--one's necessary for biological functioning, the other is not.
    I don't deny that Cannabis can have detrimental effects. Hence why I said it should be used in moderation.

But this discussion isn't about any substance. It's about Cannabis.

Again, that's irrelevant. Because Cannabis isn't vital for us to survive doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Ok ok, I phrased that badly.
    WhatI ment was that if both were legal, its much more likly to find someone growing a pot plant instead of a tobbaco plant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ok ok, I phrased that badly.
    WhatI ment was that if both were legal, its much more likly to find someone growing a pot plant instead of a tobbaco plant
    Yeah definitely. I don't know anyone who grows Tobacco but I know plenty of people who would grow Cannabis if it were easier.

ReputationRep:
    Once every two weeks? pfft nothing to worry about.
    That is if you're healthy to begin with of course.

ReputationRep:
    All smoking affects your lungs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Yeah definitely. I don't know anyone who grows Tobacco but I know plenty of people who would grow Cannabis if it were easier.
    I somehow managed two plants, even with living with the rents
    I was dreading the day they might say to me "Why does your closet smell like pot?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    I somehow managed two plants, even with living with the rents
    I was dreading the day they might say to me "Why does your closet smell like pot?"
    Haha. Legend. How much can you get out of one plant? Out of curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I take it you don't drink alcohol then?
    Just occasionally. And not to an extent it would alter my mind significantly.

(Original post by anon4042)
    Lol.
    Retard.
    I don't mind the negative rep but I feel truly sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    I know.

The OP isn't asking about alcohol though, so what's the relevance?
    'Is it worth the risks?'

Well the same could be said about alcohol and yet people do it anyway so i doubt that will defer the op from taking weed.

I think i had a better point to quoting you but i can't remember, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    'Is it worth the risks?'

Well the same could be said about alcohol and yet people do it anyway so i doubt that will defer the op from taking weed.

I think i had a better point to quoting you but i can't remember, sorry!
    Oh yeah, I completely understand!

But if the OP were to ask me if having a few pints of rough scrumpy at the end of the week was going to affect their health, then I'd ask the same question.

I'm not saying it's not worth the risk btw, I was just asking the OP to answer this for themself; really, that will give them the answer to what they should do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I don't deny that Cannabis can have detrimental effects. Hence why I said it should be used in moderation.

But this discussion isn't about any substance. It's about Cannabis.

Again, that's irrelevant. Because Cannabis isn't vital for us to survive doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.
    I never said, nor did I imply, that cannabis is bad because it's unnecessary. You invoked salt as a comparison of a substance which is detrimental if consumed immoderately. Salt must be consumed in moderation. You imply a similar dichotomy with regard to cannabis. Yet we can refrain entirely from the risk of cannabis smoking. I wished merely to clarify that risk is endemic. This is all a matter of degree, so the OP's concern is not avoiding risk entirely, but reducing the risks he takes to a personally acceptable level.

Of course it's irrelevant that salt is necessary. One wonders why you raised salt consumption at all--it was a poor argument from the start, and now you're pretending I've introduced something irrelevant. You made spurious comparisons first, not I.

ReputationRep:
    I never said, nor did I imply, that cannabis is bad because it's unnecessary. You invoked salt as a comparison of a substance which is detrimental if consumed immoderately. Salt must be consumed in moderation. You imply a similar dichotomy with regard to cannabis. Yet we can refrain entirely from the risk of cannabis smoking. I wished merely to clarify that risk is endemic. This is all a matter of degree, so the OP's concern is not avoiding risk entirely, but reducing the risks he takes to a personally acceptable level.

Of course it's irrelevant that salt is necessary. One wonders why you raised salt consumption at all--it was a poor argument from the start, and now you're pretending I've introduced something irrelevant. You made spurious comparisons first, not I.
    Sorry did I not make it obvious that that was my point entirely?

I wasn't using salt consumption to argue that Cannabis is safe. I was (and I thought quite clearly, but apparently not) using it to demonstrate that sometimes a thing can be healthy in moderation but not in excess, and that the same could apply to Cannabis.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry did I not make it obvious that that was my point entirely?

I wasn't using salt consumption to argue that Cannabis is safe. I was (and I thought quite clearly, but apparently not) using it to demonstrate that sometimes a thing can be healthy in moderation but not in excess, and that the same could apply to Cannabis.
    Using cannabis in moderation isn't necessarily healthy--that's my point when I say we don't have to use it. It will not harm a person to refrain from using cannabis. It almost certainly will do some harm to use it. It's not particularly harmful, but it's not healthy.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    Using cannabis in moderation isn't necessarily healthy--that's my point when I say we don't have to use it. It will not harm a person to refrain from using cannabis. It almost certainly will do some harm to use it. It's not particularly harmful, but it's not healthy.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes to a certain extent.
    Naturally.

Some people would say it has had a positive influence on them intellectually/mentally/spiritually or whatever. So they'd say it is 'healthy' in terms of well-being. Biologically it isn't beneficial (to most people) but its almost totally harmless to healthy people who use it sensibly.

I think we probably are.

ReputationRep:
    But if the OP were to ask me if having a few pints of rough scrumpy at the end of the week was going to affect their health, then I'd ask the same question.
    Really?

"What's the point? Is it really worth the risks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Really?
    Yes. What's wrong with asking the OP their reasons and asking them if they think it's worth the risk?

These aren't rhetorical questions.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been smoking cannabis? This article says that cannabis is causally related to increased psychosis and acts to inhibit the effect of antipsychosis drugs, which is exactly the opposite of what Elipsis claimed.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been smoking cannabis? This article says that cannabis is causally related to increased psychosis and acts to inhibit the effect of antipsychosis drugs, which is exactly the opposite of what Elipsis claimed.
    Glad to see you were taking notice

I was trying to find Cannabidiol as an antipsychotic - Markus Leweke

http://www.ukcia.org/research/researchsearch.php Is normally a good place to find research, but all i can find is this:

Cannabidiol as an antipsychotic - new perspectives
    Prof. Markus Leweke, Germany

Background: The human endocannabinoid system interacts with various neurotransmitter systems and the endocannabinoid anandamide was found significantly elevated in CSF and inversely correlated to psychopathology (Giuffrida et al. 2004) providing a link to the neurobiology of schizophrenia. While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive compound of Cannabis sativa shows psychedelic properties, the major herbal cannabinoid compound cannabidiol was suggested recently a re- uptake inhibitor of anandamide. In addition potential antipsychotic properties have been hypothezised.

Methods.

We performed an explorative, 4-week, double-blind, controlled clinical trial on the effects of purified cannabidiol in acute schizophrenia compared to the antipsychotic amisulpride. The antipsychotic properties of bothwere the primary target of the study. Furthermore side effects and anxiolytic capabilities of both treatments were investigated.

Results:

42 patients fulfilling DSM-IV criteria of acute paranoid schizophrenia or schizophreniform psychosis participated in the study. Both treatments were associated with a significant decrease of psychotic symptoms after
    2 and 4 weeks as assessed by BPRS and PANSS. However, there was no statistical difference between both treatment groups. In contrast, cannabidiol induced significantly less side effects (EPS. increase in prolactin, weight gain) when compared to amisulpride.

Conclusions:

Cannabidiol proved substantial antipsychotic properties in acute schizophrenia. This is in line with our suggestion of an adaptive role of the endocannabinoid system in paranoid schizophrenia, and raises further evidence that this adaptive mechanism may represent a valuable target for antipsychotic treatment strategies.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.