Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! My best friend is looking to study Oriental Studies at Oxford. She is really passionate but doesn't know which colleges offer Oriental Studies (Chinese/Japanese).

She is applying in 2011, she is interest in both Chinese and Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...rse/index.html

Chinese and Japanese are only available as single courses, you can't do them joint (couldn't tell from your post if you were aware of that).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I realise that. Thanks a lot for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    What kind of jobs can you get by studying it?...just curious.
    Such a degree would be a great foundation if you're interesting in working in East Asia, however, I don't believe a degree in Oriental Studies will lead you into a specific job. I think it is a good, respected degree which could lead you into many careers including diplomacy; journalism; law etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pf1)
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...rse/index.html

Chinese and Japanese are only available as single courses, you can't do them joint (couldn't tell from your post if you were aware of that).
    It's true that they're only available as single courses but remember that half-way through your course you can choose to pick up the other language (or Korean or Tibetan). If you chose to do that you would end up with a degree in Oriental Studies (Chinese with Japanese) or Oriental Studies (Japanese with Chinese).

For Chinese quite a few students come from St Hilda's, St Anne's or Wadham and, for Japanese, Hertford or Queens. That's not to say they're the only colleges just that they seem to be particularly accommodating to Orientalists and perhaps have better libraries / a tutor in that subject.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.