Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got my test coming up quite soon 18/2, and I find after about an hour or so driving I get a rather sore left leg due to the clutch. It is a 06 Ford Fiesta petrol car. Has anyone had this before, and more importantly any ideas to solve it? Could it be to do with my setting position which is reasonably far forward.

Also according to my instructor I need to relax a bit more for my test, any tips for this too?

ReputationRep:
    seating position probably the cause; it's unlikely a modern small car is going to have a heavy clutch.

to relax: try to imagine the examiner is someone you know well and are comfortable with (parent/friend), ask the examiner how long they have been in the job to initiate some small-talk (DON'T ask if they enjoy it - too much potential for negativity!, just imagine it's a normal drive.

seemed to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    Seating position?

Seen as its your test, drive how you are comfortable with driving, don't do something "new" in your test.

I didn't utter a word to the examiner apart from when I went the wrong way once or twice, managed to pass though

ReputationRep:
    I want to scream every time I see a (almost always girl) sitting right forward up against the steering wheel. In a serious crash the interior of the car will get quite considerably smaller. It needs space to get smaller into. If your boobs are in that space then say hello to massive internal damage, if not death, when if you'd had your seat in the proper position you might have walked away. If you're driving an older car then the chances of being speared by the steering column soar too.

I always have the seat as far back as I can get it; usually at the back of the runners. Being 6'3 accounts in part of this but I really don't feel as if I'm properly in control pushed up against the steering wheel.

As far as the clutch thing goes, it may well be because of where your seat is but it may also be that you just need more time to strengthen your leg muscles up. It seems to be quite a common problem among learners.

As far as your nerves go, have half a spliff before your exam
    I joke, try relaxation techniques like deep breathing and thinking of happy things. The more stressed out you are the more likely you are to make mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Do you keep your foot permenetly above the clutch? I do this...even now!...Is there a place to put your foot at the side of the clutch? Don't rest though if your in a stopping and starting situation haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I want to scream every time I see a (almost always girl) sitting right forward up against the steering wheel. In a serious crash the interior of the car will get quite considerably smaller. It needs space to get smaller into. If your boobs are in that space then say hello to massive internal damage, if not death, when if you'd had your seat in the proper position you might have walked away. If you're driving an older car then the chances of being speared by the steering column soar too.

Some of us aren't blessed with long legs :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    seating position probably the cause; it's unlikely a modern small car is going to have a heavy clutch.

to relax: try to imagine the examiner is someone you know well and are comfortable with (parent/friend), ask the examiner how long they have been in the job to initiate some small-talk (DON'T ask if they enjoy it - too much potential for negativity!, just imagine it's a normal drive.

seemed to work for me.
    Yeah this too, small talk is great!! I made my tester laugh her arse off all the way through haha and I passed!

ReputationRep:
    I had this a bit and i think i remember that lowering the seat worked for me. I think changing the angle of my ankle was the key.

ReputationRep:
    i used to get that, i think it's half getting used to constantly having your leg hovering over the clutch and half seating position. i actually found my seat was too far back, i was having to straighten out my leg completely to fully depress the clutch. Now i sit in a position where i can get the clutch to the floor and still have a slight bend in my knee, it has helped me and is more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    Hehe I'm a girl and I naturaly go into the slouch position when driving so have to have my seat right back or I'd be in crampsville!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody! I think one problem might be the lack on anywhere to rest my foot off the clutch, (not room to the left of it, like in my parents car). I still have 1 lesson before the test so I will try sitting further back. Do you tend to use you knee or your ankle to push the clutch? Since I sit to far forward as it seems, I use my ankle more so that could be a cause, also I'm not that tall, but I doubt that matters too much!

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends never puts her clutch heel on the floor. Yep, you heard me right, her left foot is always hovering over the clutch pedal and NEVER touches the floor. When she said about it everyone looked at her like she was nuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    It's not just your seat base position though, most of the girls I know that do it suffer from a combination of having the seat too far forwards and the seat back too far forwards too, so they're sitting bolt upright or even leaning forwards a little to snuggle up to the steering wheel. Utter craziness.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If i recall correctly, the test isnt even upto and hour (the driving bit certainly not) so whats the problem? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Relax ? very deep breaths, but trust me, you'll be nervous in the test centre, but when you get out and drive you will be fine. Just tell yourself its a regular driving lesson. Have a lesson beforehand and go 20mph everywhere, that way 25 mph will feel fast and you wont speed too much. Good luck.

Drove the same car as you btw, and I didn't get that problem. Probably 'cause of my thunder thighs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    If i recall correctly, the test isnt even upto and hour (the driving bit certainly not) so whats the problem? :dontknow:
    Well I have to drive there, and have a bit of a warm up lesson beforehand so once the test starts I've driven for 40mins. But I will experiment in my hopefully last lesson with a different seating style, even if I go back to my old way for the test it will help in life.

I'm hoping as it is (unfortunately) my second test I'll be less nervous. Also as it is lunchtime Thursday the traffic will be light, so won't need to use the clutch as much due to traffic. Another problem is I look at the speedometer nearly as much as the road, really must avoid doing that on my test.

ReputationRep:
    In my mums car I cannot get the position right - whatever I do, my left knee clicks (and painfully) when I push the clutch in. It's never happened to me in any other car (and I've driven lots of other cars of all sorts of ages and types). I think things like that can depend purely upon the car.

As for relaxing, that's difficult to give advice on really. I suppose just try and picture the examiner as a friend rather than a scary, life changing person is the best I can do.

ReputationRep:
    think you must have weak leg muscles! I drive 1960s tractors to cars, to bikes and everything in-between. Never had my clutch leg hurt. Use your ankle if you can, fiesta clutches arnt that heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    think you must have weak leg muscles! I drive 1960s tractors to cars, to bikes and everything in-between. Never had my clutch leg hurt. Use your ankle if you can, fiesta clutches arnt that heavy.
    That is probably true, but I think the lack of a foot rest doesn't help, also I doubt normal driving isn't as clutch intensive as driving lessons, but I suspect I am being a bit pathetic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriz M)
    That is probably true, but I think the lack of a foot rest doesn't help, also I doubt normal driving isn't as clutch intensive as driving lessons, but I suspect I am being a bit pathetic!
    Keep your foot on the floor, under, or just in front of the pedal, and lift it only when changing gear. I dont even bother doing that in cars - my heel stays on the floor about 99% of the time im behind the wheel and the ball of my foot presses the pedal.

Poll
Are you going to a Festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.