Turn on thread page Beta

Fat people! Do you mind when people call you 'fat'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, do you?

Just wondering.

'Cause I don't mind. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im a size 10 and have been called fat - i mind because im not, but im sure i would still mind if i was

ReputationRep:
    they should keep shtum whether they do or don't; they'd be ruining my fun otherwise :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It's offensive so I would mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    It's offensive so I would mind.
    Why? It's simply pointing out the obvious.

Like someone telling you that you've got black hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)

Yeah, exactly - it's obvious. I'm sure you're perfectly aware of it, right? People usually say it to offend you, not enlighten you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)

If you were ugly would you mind being called ugly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    If you were ugly would you mind being called ugly?
    Nobody evr thinks they're ugly ugly. Not really. Which is fine seeing as beauty is in the eye of the beholder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirl182)
    Nobody evr thinks they're ugly ugly. Not really. Which is fine seeing as beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Do you really believe this crap?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really believe this crap?
    Yes!! Lol everyone has a different idea of what 'pretty' is as exemplified in e.g. debates over whether taylor lautner is fitter than robert pattinson...

ReputationRep:
    I don't like people calling me fat. I already know I'm fat. Don't need people telling me.

ReputationRep:
    simply saying it in itself is not offensive. if a guy is 6' 3", is it offensive to call him tall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    simply saying it in itself is not offensive. if a guy is 6' 3", is it offensive to call him tall?
    Actually yes. He might feel insecure and different.

But this example is not a good one.

Imagine - you're stupid (perhaps you are, I don't know) - and people say you are stupid. It's nothing revelatory because you have a low IQ, your grades are bad and you're acting like an idiot. But I'm sure you wouldn't feel comfortable with it. You would feel worse.

ReputationRep:
    Actually yes. He might feel insecure and different.

But this example is not a good one.

Imagine - you're stupid (perhaps you are, I don't know) - and people say you are stupid. It's nothing revelatory because you have a low IQ, your grades are bad and you're acting like an idiot. But I'm sure you wouldn't feel comfortable with it. You would feel worse.
    what?

Saying he is tall is a statement of fact. In itself it is not offensive. It only is if said in a negative way. Another example is calling, say, Rio Ferdinand black, or Wayne Rooney Liverpudlian. Again, statements of fact, not offensive.

ReputationRep:
    It's all gonna depend on person to person. BUT, weight is generally a very sensitive issue to most overweight people, and even those not. I dont care what **** you try and counter this with, but its damn rude to call someone fat, and if you can't see that, well...

Being tall is generally seen as a positive thing, but there are still people who are uncomfortable being tall. Stick to saying "you look nice today".

ReputationRep:
    eh, depends on the person in question really... I wouldn't dream of calling a female friend fat

one of my mates is pretty fat, but he pokes fun at himself about it all the time, so I wouldn't hesitate in making the odd fat joke in his case. I wouldn't want to genuinely hurt his feelings or anything... but in fairness, he's a bit of a porky *******

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.