Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whats an immigration caseworker? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is is different from an immigration solicitor?

I've been looking at immigration jobs, because im quite interested in this area, and im getting a bit confused when they ask for think such as level 2 accreditation..but im not sure what is in? :s

ReputationRep:
    Level 2 = GCSE grades A*-C, so presumably they want 5A*-C GCSEs inc. English and Maths.

I would guess that being an immigration caseworker has more to do with the social side of things than the legal side (which an immigration solicitor would deal with), and deals with people (i.e. cases) on an individual level.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseworker_(social_work)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouz)
    Is is different from an immigration solicitor?

I've been looking at immigration jobs, because im quite interested in this area, and im getting a bit confused when they ask for think such as level 2 accreditation..but im not sure what is in? :s
    Please ignore the last 2 posts they are incorrect. An immigration case worker is nothing like a social worker, nor is level 2 acreditation GCSEs!!!

Immigration case workers basically run immigration legal cases and can represent people at the immigration tribunal - kind of like social security or employment case workers - you are essentially undertaking the role of a solicitor but you don't need to be qualified, instead you do OISC training.

You can find out more here.

http://www.iasuk.org/training---immi...-1-course.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that link and your help!

i didnt think it was just GCSE's lol, but thanks guys anyway.

i think ill talk with my careers adviser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    Please ignore the last 2 posts they are incorrect. An immigration case worker is nothing like a social worker, nor is level 2 acreditation GCSEs!!!

Immigration case workers basically run immigration legal cases and can represent people at the immigration tribunal - kind of like social security or employment case workers - you are essentially undertaking the role of a solicitor but you don't need to be qualified, instead you do OISC training.

You can find out more here.

http://www.iasuk.org/training---immi...-1-course.aspx
    so you dont need to do the LPC and a training contract? you just do the accreditation courses and exams after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouz)
    so you dont need to do the LPC and a training contract? you just do the accreditation courses and exams after you graduate?
    Thats correct. Getting into it may not be easy though as there is the same sort of competition as there is for any kind of legal exec / paralegal work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    Thats correct. Getting into it may not be easy though as there is the same sort of competition as there is for any kind of legal exec / paralegal work.
    Yes i can imagine, nothings easy these days

But do you think its more or less competitive than getting a training contract to become a solicitor?

Are you doing this by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how competative it is. I imagine (but guessing) you may need to do some voluntary stuff in the area to stand out. Any remotely law related job is over subscribed in the current climate of rescession combined with the last 10 years of shoving everyone into education to the point that a degree these days is worth little more than O levels were 20 years ago.

No, the only area of law i am less interested in is PI and its a close thing!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.