Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are 7,000 faith schools in the UK at the moment - but are they actually necessary?? Do we need them to keep religion 'alive' and encourage children/young people to show religiosity in everyday life - or do they cause segregation and do not aid in education?

What do you think??

ReputationRep:
    Of course they're not necessary, they shouldn't even exist.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Education should be secular, and parents should let their children make up their own damn mind as to what religion they want to pursue, if any.

We say we're a society that allows self-determination, yet before we're even born choices are already being made for us that will have a profound effect on our existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Of course they're not necessary, they shouldn't even exist.
    Why is that? Is that because they promote segregation and force some into religion??
    Why is it then so may parents try to get their children into faith schools?

ReputationRep:
    No.

They shouldn't be banned but they should definitely NOT be state funded. They should all be private..

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they're...what's the opposite of necessary?

As far as 'keeping it alive' is concerned, religion can go to hell! (see what I did there!)

I don't think it's always the case but I think faith schools and faith in general can be damaging to education. Especially scientific education.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they unnecessary? It's not even like they're exclusive to one religion (especially the Christian schools). All the Catholic/Protestant schools I know are only 30% Christian and 70% other religions whereas all the Sikh and Muslim school I know decline every student of another religion. Schools like that should be banned IMO. In a Catholic school, one guy used to bring in videos and used to preach Islam to everyone non stop. WHY DID YOU GO TO A CATHOLIC SCHOOL THEN?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahSmiles:))
    Why is that? Is that because they promote segregation and force some into religion??
    Why is it then so may parents try to get their children into faith schools?
    Because children shouldn't be taught that one religion is right. I have no problem with faith schools for the 16+. Religion should be the choice of the individual, not their parents.

Parents try to get their children into faith schools because they want their children to be taught that their faith is the right one. And some faith schools are academically better than other state schools, but I'm sure that religious indoctrination is not the cause for this difference, so the religious indoctrination can go.

ReputationRep:
    Because children shouldn't be taught that one religion is right. I have no problem with faith schools for the 16+. Religion should be the choice of the individual, not their parents.

Parents try to get their children into faith schools because they want their children to be taught that their faith is the right one. And some faith schools are academically better than other state schools, but I'm sure that religious indoctrination is not the cause for this difference, so the religious indoctrination can go.
    The Christian faith schools that I know do not even preach Christianity. The Islamic schools that I know definitely do. All faith schools shouldn't be painted with the same brush...they're not all the same. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    The Christian faith schools that I know do not even preach Christianity. The Islamic schools that I know definitely do. All faith schools shouldn't be painted with the same brush...they're not all the same. :confused:
    What makes them a 'Christian school' then? Just the name? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They aren't necessary and they should all be converted to non-faith schools. There should be no state ones at the very least. Kids should not be divided up this way.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know, for one school in particular, all the students suggested to drop the word "catholic" in school title as the student population was 70% hindu/islamic etc. They were afraid to reject anyone was was not Christian. Tbh, it's not really a faith school :rolleyes: (Christian) faith schools give students the opportunity to practice their faith while at school, they aren't taught that it's the only religion and no one is forced to practice it. For other faith schools, however, students are told that their religion is the only one and that they should all practise it.

ReputationRep:
    The Catholic primary school that I went to [best of a bad lot] spared no effort in shoving Catholicism down our throats as the one true path.

Religion simply has no place in public environments.

ReputationRep:
    The faith schools near me, one roman catholic and one church of england don't let anyone in until 6th form unless you can prove you've been going to church and doing loads of religious stuff with support from your family. They're really competitive to get into and they have better facilities. It's not fair on people like me/my family who aren't religious in the slightest. I don't see why they should get state funding when they're so selective and there's other schools down the road struggling to make ends meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The Catholic primary school that I went to [best of a bad lot] spared no effort in shoving Catholicism down our throats as the one true path.

Religion simply has no place in public environments.
    All faith schools are different, that's why I was talking about the ones that I know of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    The faith schools near me, one roman catholic and one church of england don't let anyone in until 6th form unless you can prove you've been going to church and doing loads of religious stuff with support from your family. They're really competitive to get into and they have better facilities. It's not fair on people like me/my family who aren't religious in the slightest. I don't see why they should get state funding when they're so selective.
    Just lie? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just a name indeed. I think they're more 'attractive' to parents of a particular faith. I've got quite a few mates from a Catholic school in my area and there's a noticeable difference in the number of Christians who went there than the other schools in my area. But they don't preach and it doesn't seem like they were preached to either.

ReputationRep:
    They are not necessary, no.

But I don't hate the idea of faith schools either as a lot of TSRians do.

I go to a Catholic school myself (used to go to a State primary which had a strong CofE Christian ethos) and I'm happy that I went to these schools. I think the religious dimension, even for those who are not Christian or even those who are faithless, was beneficial for us and helped us grow up appreciating some of the deeper and finer things about social culture and even history which a secular school would have had difficulty with.

Even now I recite pleasant Biblical verses at certain times and I'm not Christian - but what is the harm of that?

If these schools are open to members of all faiths but choose to be centred around Christianity, or Islam, or Sikhism etc. then I see no problem with that, nor State funding of that. As for the selective nature of these schools and the benefits they exclude some from enjoying, well learn to live with it. Life isn't 100% fair and we shouldn't steam-roll over established institutions in a futile act of 'enforcing equality'.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know, for one school in particular, all the students suggested to drop the word "catholic" in school title as the student population was 70% hindu/islamic etc. They were afraid to reject anyone was was not Christian. Tbh, it's not really a faith school :rolleyes: (Christian) faith schools give students the opportunity to practice their faith while at school, they aren't taught that it's the only religion and no one is forced to practice it. For other faith schools, however, students are told that their religion is the only one and that they should all practise it.
    What do you mean by 'the opportunity to practice their faith while at school'? If you mean they're allowed to pray during the normal breaks then okay... but all pupils can do that if they're so inclined. If you mean that they have designated 'prayer times' or something, then that is wrong. What if some pupils don't have a faith? At the very least, blatant waste of educational time should not be state-funded.

ReputationRep:
    I think they, althought not absolutly necessary, are good and definatly worth having as they allow people to understand their faith better, to simply go to mass every sunday, or often less then that, for a christian does not inform them of their religion overly, often the more informed you are, the easier it is to make a desition off your own back when you are older.

I am more aware of catholic then christian schools for primary schools & as far as I can see it gives the children a focus as to how they should lead their lives, not that that religion is right, sure it is all done under the religious name, but it sets out good morals & respect for each other and their fellow peers. There is Mass very iregularly, usually just on holy days of obligation, meaning that the parents don't have to then take their children later in the evening, and to celibrate the start and end of term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.