Turn on thread page Beta

Rude French customer service watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of months back, I broke my leg in a skiing accident and became completely reliant on Paris's taxi service.

Wobbling precariously on my crutches after a family dinner in a local restaurant, I hailed the first cab in the rank.

He drove up, glanced at my plastered leg and drove straight off again shouting: "I don't take cripples. Your crutches might damage my paintwork!"

Somewhat stupefied, I hailed the next cab in line and politely asked the driver if I could sit up front as it was easier for my leg.

"I'm not arranging my whole damn cab to accommodate you," he snapped. "I've got all my personal things piled on the front seat!"

As he drove off at an angry speed, I got a glance of the front passenger seat and saw it was adorned with one folded newspaper.

The taxi driver who finally chauffeured me home was pleasant enough, although a stark notice on the back of the seat reminded me that it would not be wise to push my luck.

Under the circumstances, even though I was paying for this ride, I felt unable to ask this clearly sensitive man to turn down his deafening rap music.

This Sunday, a Parisian friend of mine waited in line at the fruit and vegetable stall of his local market.

When it was his turn to be served, he asked the seller for a kilo of leeks.

"They're at the other end of the stall," snapped the vendor waspishly. "Take a bit of exercise and get them yourself."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/8500246.stm

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Thats the French for you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All I can say is "Welcome to Paris".

In other parts of France (speaking from experience) the locals are as friendly as you could ever want. For example we were walking on a roundabout and some old guy stopped to ask if we needed directions (presumably we looked lost) he didn't speak any English but he still wanted to help.

In Paris, however, the waiters correct your pronunciation in some restaurants, among other things.

ReputationRep:
    I'd still prefer this over ridiculous fake smile customer service where they can't leave you alone in a shop and tell you to have a nice day. At least the rudeness is genuine

ReputationRep:
    I think they are just upset about how funny their accent sounds when they try and speak english. Can't blame 'em really.

ReputationRep:
    People in big, often capital, cities are rude? Old news.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised this is even news. The French are practically world-renowned for their crap customer service, rudeness and snobbiness. Parisians in particular - everyone hates Parisians, even, nay especially French people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/8500246.stm

:rofl:
    yeah what was the notice on the back of seat that made you not push your luck to far?? what did it say?

ReputationRep:
    If you get into any trouble with the French, just stomp your foot on the ground lightly and every frenchie in a 300 mile radius will surrender.

ReputationRep:
    There are people like this everywhere, don't be silly...
    Have you ever been to a place where everyone was sooooo nice with you that you made a TSR thread out of it? Grow up...

ReputationRep:
    I found them quite friendly in Paris :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paronomase)
    There are people like this everywhere, don't be silly...
    Have you ever been to a place where everyone was sooooo nice with you that you made a TSR thread out of it? Grow up...
    I was bored :laugh: Besides, I didn't write it you silly person

ReputationRep:
    well what do people expect their frogs

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.