Turn on thread page Beta

Why do parents make you miserable if the chores aren't done before they're home? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mother is so unreasonable I don't see her much as we work different hours and I'm out with my boyfriend quite a few evenings as he works away a lot. Despite that we do stay in with her some evenings, I do pay my way and look after my stuff around the house and TRY to do something nice when I am in.

She ordered me to do the hoovering, my washing (which I do anyway, she's just noticed that I have some waiting) and shove something on for dinner because she'd be back at half 4.

I decided that since we don't get mother and daughter days very often that I'd do something really nice for dinner and not worry about spending the last of my disposable income on a few bits to make this nice. So I did the washing, dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, tidied up after her grandkids, sorted my room and decided to do the hoovering after I'd put the food on (as it had to cook for half hour and I needed to get some stuff before I could do that). Plenty of time.

So as I was about to nip out for last minute bits when she walked in, 50 minutes early. She threw a hissy fit because the hoovering wasn't done... I suggested no big deal, can be done in a mo after I've been shop and then I told her what lovely lunch I'd planed on cooking for the two of us. All I get is a 'whatever', 'I'm not bothered what you cook!!' and 'All I asked you to do was...'

Why?? Why does it matter that one 10 minute chore wasn't completed? Even though it would have been had she not walked in early... Please someone tell me why this is the case, I can't seem to do anything right

Yes I am ranting, yes I am emotional today, yes I would appreciate serious replies as I would like just once to be appreciated instead of scoulded.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum is being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic. That is the only thing I conclude from all of this.

Maybe she's had a stressful day in work, I know times when my mum would have reacted the same way and others when she would have really appreciated the nice food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    Maybe she's had a stressful day in work, I know times when my mum would have reacted the same way and others when she would have really appreciated the nice food.
    Well I sort of anticipated that she would have a stressful as she worked 1.30 till (what was supposed to be) 4.30, when usually she works a lot earlier and is finished by 1. That's why I thought she'd appreciate it I knew she'd be really hungry and what's better than walking in starving and having better than her usual microwave pie and several bags of crisps?

I give up

ReputationRep:
    Wow, my Mum is not like that. :no: :hugs:

Maybe she's had a bad day?
    In those situations I find breaking down and crying saying you just wanted to do something nice for her usually makes them feel bad enough to say sorry and explain why they're acting like they are.

or they just shout at you for crying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    Wow, my Mum is not like that. :no: :hugs:

Maybe she's had a bad day?
    In those situations I find breaking down and crying saying you just wanted to do something nice for her usually makes them feel bad enough to say sorry and explain why they're acting like they are.

or they just shout at you for crying..
    That is exactly what would happen I just don't understand what the right thing to do would have been and she can't even be bothered to talk to me.

I put her dinner on anyway and was then quite disheartened that after I'd briefly nipped upstairs she'd took over...

Who the hell moans that a 10 minute hoovering job hasn't been done when you're about to have a lovely lunch prepared for you to enjoy over a bit of mother and daughter time??

Well now I'm just lonely, miserable and very hungry :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    That is exactly what would happen I just don't understand what the right thing to do would have been and she can't even be bothered to talk to me.

I put her dinner on anyway and was then quite disheartened that after I'd briefly nipped upstairs she'd took over...

Who the hell moans that a 10 minute hoovering job hasn't been done when you're about to have a lovely lunch prepared for you to enjoy over a bit of mother and daughter time??

Well now I'm just lonely, miserable and very hungry :puppyeyes:
    write her a letter? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    She had a bad day. You sound like a nice person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    She had a bad day. You sound like a nice person.
    I try. But sadly I'm not perfect and that's what she wants, apparently.

Anyway we had a blazing row and she told me to pack my suitcase. So we've both said some awful things today and now I feel like crap and need to find somewhere to stay :emo:

I really need to move out before I end up driving into a brick wall.

I realise that you didn;t ask for all this, I just felt the need to vent - sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.