Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am considering applying as a mature student come September, I have heard from some people that applying as a mature student gives me a greater chance of obtaining an offer in comaprison to no-mature student applications.

Is this true, I know Oxford access applicants based on capability but are a certain number of places set aside for mature students and the competition for these places less?

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gangst)
    Hi,

I am considering applying as a mature student come September, I have heard from some people that applying as a mature student gives me a greater chance of obtaining an offer in comaprison to no-mature student applications.

Is this true, I know Oxford access applicants based on capability but are a certain number of places set aside for mature students and the competition for these places less?

Thanks.
    No. If mature students have a higher success rate (and I don't remember seeing any statistics showing that they definitely do), that will be because there is perhaps a higher degree of self-selection - plus possibly the fact that it's a relatively small sample of applicants.

Edit: Well, technically all of Harris Manchester's places are 'set aside for mature students', but it's a very small college, so we're only talking about 20-25 places a year here; I don't think they'll have any trouble filling them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)

Edit: Well, technically all of Harris Manchester's places are 'set aside for mature students', but it's a very small college, so we're only talking about 20-25 places a year here; I don't think they'll have any trouble filling them.
    After speaking to admissions regarding Harris Manchester, I was told that this college was more 'mature' than one might think, I was given the impression it was 30's+...and was advised to look towards postgrad colleges as the age match would be better.

Do you know if Oxford frown upon applying whilst currently studying at a Uni?

Thanks for your reply.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    After speaking to admissions regarding Harris Manchester, I was told that this college was more 'mature' than one might think, I was given the impression it was 30's+...and was advised to look towards postgrad colleges as the age match would be better.
    Well, it varies between years, because obviously it's a very small college. I think I remember someone on TSR saying the majority of Harris Manchester students in her year were actually 23-25, but that was two years ago, so things may well have changed since then.
    Are you a postgrad applicant, then?:confused: Because if you're not, you wouldn't be able to join one of the graduate colleges anyway, so it won't matter that they'd provide a closer age match. [/Captain Obvious]
    For doing the same subject, you mean? Well... the short answer is that there's no official line on this, so presumably it does happen once in a while, otherwise they'd just rule it out completely. However, as I've said on other threads, to me their obvious reluctance to talk about it (the question isn't even included in the FAQ section of the website, even though it's bound to get asked quite a lot, and the question about transfers, which is closely related, is answered in a roundabout way, referring only to second BAs) kind of suggests they're really quite keen not to encourage those type of applications and not even make people consider it as an option. So I'm inclined to think they do frown on it a bit.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Well, it varies between years, because obviously it's a very small college. I think I remember someone on TSR saying the majority of Harris Manchester students in her year were actually 23-25, but that was two years ago, so things may well have changed since then.
    Are you a postgrad applicant, then?:confused: Because if you're not, you wouldn't be able to join one of the graduate colleges anyway, so it won't matter that they'd provide a closer age match. [/Captain Obvious]

For doing the same subject, you mean? Well... the short answer is that there's no official line on this, so presumably it does happen once in a while, otherwise they'd just rule it out completely. However, as I've said on other threads, to me their obvious reluctance to talk about it (the question isn't even included in the FAQ section of the website, even though it's bound to get asked quite a lot, and the question about transfers, which is closely related, is answered in a roundabout way, referring only to second BAs) kind of suggests they're really quite keen not to encourage those type of applications and not even make people consider it as an option. So I'm inclined to think they do frown on it a bit.:erm:
    Thanks again.

I am currently on an undergrad course, Dentistry, which is a 5 year course, I'm in my second year, and have had quite a strong change of heart and want to apply for PPE.

Whether I even have a chance is another matter, I have the grades etc, but I hope Ox would be willing to consider my application.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your reply.
    Just to throw some light on Harris Manchester and students' age Majority of us here are in our early to mid 20's - in fact, its a lot less mature than one might think!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks again.

I am currently on an undergrad course, Dentistry, which is a 5 year course, I'm in my second year, and have had quite a strong change of heart and want to apply for PPE.

Whether I even have a chance is another matter, I have the grades etc, but I hope Ox would be willing to consider my application.
    Oh, OK. In that case I don't think it would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, OK. In that case I don't think it would be a problem.

So personally you do not think Oxford would look upon my application in a bad light if I can justify it? I just fear that I am wasting a lot of time/ effort applying when the chances are very slim.

thanks to everyone that replied.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So personally you do not think Oxford would look upon my application in a bad light if I can justify it? I just fear that I am wasting a lot of time/ effort applying when the chances are very slim.

thanks to everyone that replied.
    I think if you've had a change of heart about your subject, that's a justification they will definitely accept. And if you're already in your second year (i.e. you'd be almost halfway through your 5-year course by the time the next application cycle starts) it's understandable that you don't want to drop out and throw it all away before you actually know for certain that you have a place for PPE somewhere. So I think you should be OK. It shouldn't really cost you *that* much time and effort - getting your current tutors to support your application and vouch for your academic ability will probably be the trickiest bit, but other than that it's really just a matter of writing a PS and sitting the TSA.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.