Do you like/get on with your parents? Watch

Poll: Do you like your parents
I like and get on with my parents (68)
62.39%
I get on with my parents but I don't like them (6)
5.5%
I like my parents but I don't get on with them (17)
15.6%
I do not like or get on with my parents (5)
4.59%
I do not like or get on with my parents and I love them (as parents) (9)
8.26%
I do not like or get on with my parents and I do not love them (as parents) (4)
3.67%
paella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
As the title says, do you get on and like your parents. I don't mean do you love them, or hate them, or w/e. Just whether you get on with them, and if you enjoy their company.
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My father's sole purpose in life is to embarrass me, so no, I don't like him most of the time or like being in his company in public. Mum's ok.
pocketfulofposy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like and get on with my dad.

I hate my mum.
James4d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dads ok- clever, a little embarrissing, funny (well..not always), devoted.

Mum on the other hand...by god- close minded, aggressive, boring, naggy, boring, unreasonable and has as much logic as an mp.
armageddonbride
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I get on with them a million times better since I went to Uni...
asdalol
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
Like and get on with my mum, can be a bit embarrassing sometimes but I love her. Get on with my dad sometimes, hardly talk to each other.
DaveSteed24
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yep get on with both of them hope i'm as good a parent as they've been one day
Consilio Et Animis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't like or get on with at all. Do love them tho :sigh:
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My dad can't be arsed to get in touch with me after he fled the country and came back again without telling me, and my mum's an unreasonable psychotic *****.

If anyone feels like carrying out a kidnapping, I'm all yours. If you're doing it for the ransom, sorry, nobody will care enough.
LooCee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Me and my mum are really close, she helped me through a lot as a teenager and we talk a lot about things, she's really easy going most of the time.

My dad I can get on with but I don't like living with him and I don't really respect him. In fact I resent the way he's always treated us, like we're the reason his life is so **** and things would be a million times better if the rest of us aren't here. No-one in the house has any privacy, he makes everyone's life hell when he doesn't agree with something and we all have to tiptoe round him, for example if one of us is in the kitchen and he wants to make a cup of tea we have to get out. Or if me and my mum try and have a conversation we get shouted at for talking over the telly. I think the main reason I don't respect him that much is because he doesn't actually do anything. He rarely leaves the house because he works at home and has no interests other than watching the telly, he's impossible to buy presents for because of this. What upsets me (and my mum) most is that as children we were never allowed to be children because it involved making mess or being noisy, he complains if we have friends round and so our friends think that we're unsociable and it's not that at all and we never did or do much as a family because he didn't want to go or he wouldn't pay and the things we did do as a family I generally have unhappy memories about or no memory of! So my mum just took us places on her own or with my Auntie/her friend's family, basically as if she were a single parent.

My mum and my dad are completely different people and their relationship is only really out of convenience now. I envy other people's happy families! So I guess that explains why I feel the way I do about them!
laura_j90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Love my dad to bits and get on really well with him. Can talk to him about pretty much anything. My mum: not so much. I love her as a parent but we're just about civil.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I actually really like and get on with them both. My mum absolutely adores children (anyone's I mean) so she was obviously a nice bubbly mum when I was younger, and just never stopped because she's really sort of...I dunno excitable and hyperactive. Dad is much more reserved but didn't get on well with his family when he was growing up and doesn't really see any of them now, so I think he puts loads of effort in with me and my brother partly because of that.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Even though we have lots of things in common, I find it hardest to get on with my dad (he explodes over stupid things sometimes and never admits when he's wrong) but now I've learnt just to leave the room and not get into it with him.

I still get on with him pretty well though, and overall my parents are pretty great. I like spending time with them, I know I can always count on their support no matter what and they're generous to a fault; couldn't really ask for better parents. We all generally get on with each other in my family though, even when we're annoying the hell out of each other (to a scary degree sometimes, almost like the brady bunch :zomg: )

I have to say though, if I was my mum I'd have divorced him already, so I'm glad I just have to put up with him being my dad instead. :teehee:
SomeStudent
Report 8 years ago
I love and get on with my dad. I love and get on with my mum most of the time
Bongboy6969
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
my dads ok, a bit absent minded but i guess he's got alot to think about, otherwise he just let's me get on with it. We usually just talk about footie.

Mum on the other hand is a pain in the arse. Always up for an argument, always has to have it her way, explodes for no reason, and the only social obstacles i've had are because of her. she always moans that she's tired, yet she has the least amount t do.

I love her as a parent, but on a personal level she's just too damn annoying, and her vibe of bein uptight rubs off on everyone else, which really pisses me off. If she was more relaxed, everyone else would be also.
RatnSha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
dont get on with anyone in my family
blueshoes123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like my mum most of the time, but hate my dad most of the time (close-minded, ignorant, racist, acts like a teenager, just generally annoying) but i can usually bring myself to be civil to him.
cardine92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can get on with them as long as I don't mention any touchy subjects and ignore the massive elephant-in-the-room problems we have.
mr eko
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I get on with my mum but I know that if she wasn't my mum I wouldn't like her. She can act chavvy at times, also does some pretty stupid things and I have to cover for her.
username385546
Report 8 years ago
Mums ok, Dad is condescending, constantly moaning about random things and always feels the need to start randomly judging people who doesn't even know. Simply can't stand him most of the time.
Last edited by username385546; 8 years ago
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (634)
91.09%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.91%

Watched Threads