Turn on thread page Beta

Unconditional offer 20/40 points off? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unconditional offer for English & American Literature and English Language & Linguistics (Q391) and I have accepted this and confirmed my place and I'm ecstatic as this was my dream university...

BUT it was a complete long shot, even Oxford Brookes only gave me a conditional offer! I got ABD at A-Level, and resit the D but the grade obviously doesn't come through until March so I may not have even passed!

The Lit course at Kent asks for 340 points and the Lang side course asks for 320, the point being the combining my A-Levels with my crappy AS grade, I've only got 300 points - still below the offer!

I'm not complaining, would just like to know if anybody else has had a COMPLETE suprise like this (AMAZING as it is) and if anybody has any idea why they've given me this offer?

ReputationRep:
    you mustve had a really good/relevant personal statement, im kinda sameish i got AABC at higher and the minimum entry for my course was AABB but i got an uncondtional! just lucky so its all good good good.

ReputationRep:
    I got exactly the same A level grades as you! I got an unconditional place in December for a Speech and Language Therapy at a univeristy that asked for BBB, but then they knew I wasn't doing resits (I had already retaken all of my AS exams for the subject I got a D in, and couldn't stand to do it again).

I suppose I got in because I have exceptional personal and professional work experience, and I'm also really enthusiastic about the subject.

I was still very surprised though, mostly because they replied to my application so quickly. It took me a day to get up the courage to check Track after I got the notification email!

What A levels did you take out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    I got exactly the same A level grades as you! I got an unconditional place in December for a Speech and Language Therapy at a univeristy that asked for BBB, but then they knew I wasn't doing resits (I had already retaken all of my AS exams for the subject I got a D in, and couldn't stand to do it again).

I suppose I got in because I have exceptional personal and professional work experience, and I'm also really enthusiastic about the subject.

I was still very surprised though, mostly because they replied to my application so quickly. It took me a day to get up the courage to check Track after I got the notification email!

What A levels did you take out of interest?

Ahh that's awesome! Well done anyway, I hope you're enjoying your course, what do you want to do when you're older? I studied English Language/Literaure, Government & Politics and History what about youuu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitherehwsu)
    you mustve had a really good/relevant personal statement, im kinda sameish i got AABC at higher and the minimum entry for my course was AABB but i got an uncondtional! just lucky so its all good good good.

Yeah, it does seem to be pure luck haha! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    Ahh that's awesome! Well done anyway, I hope you're enjoying your course, what do you want to do when you're older? I studied English Language/Literaure, Government & Politics and History what about youuu?
    I'm starting my course in September, and I can't wait! Speech and Language Therapy is a vocational course so I can be a Speech and Language Therapist when I graduate. I studied Psychology, English Literature and Human Biology.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    May not have had as many good applicants for that course as previous years, allowing them to exercise, with confidence, a greater amount of leniency.

<3

ReputationRep:
    I've got two unconditionals so far that were both kind of a surprise (as was not getting asked for interview for Aber because they said they usually did. )

I'm studying for a certificate with the OU at the moment and I kind of expected an offer to be made on that, so it was a bit of a shock when I saw 'unconditional' when I got my first offer.

Both my offer letters mentioned stuff I'd put in my PS though (Aber's admissions tutor sent me a handwritten note saying I was just the sort of person they wanted on the course :eek: ), so I'm assuming they were impressed by that, so obviously a good PS can really do you a lot of good. I'm really glad now that I spent so long on mine. :yep:

Except now I don't know what to expect from Cardiff if they give me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    May not have had as many good applicants for that course as previous years, allowing them to exercise, with confidence, a greater amount of leniency.

<3
    I'd agree, but when is Kent ever undersubscribed for English? In fact, when is any university?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd agree, but when is Kent ever undersubscribed for English? In fact, when is any university?
    I didn't say they were undersubscribed, of course they weren't. I said the general quality is likely to have been lower. Or, it is possible that they just really liked you. I have not read your PS etc and so shan't judge.

Well done anyway =]

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I didn't say they were undersubscribed, of course they weren't. I said the general quality is likely to have been lower. Or, it is possible that they just really liked you. I have not read your PS etc and so shan't judge.

Well done anyway =]

<3

My bad! I only started this thread because I'm worried they'll realise they've made a mistake and withdraw my offer - MARE.

Thank you xx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My bad! I only started this thread because I'm worried they'll realise they've made a mistake and withdraw my offer - MARE.

Thank you xx
    I'm pretty sure they would not be able to if it was a mistake on their part, only if you lied about something etc but I could be wrong.

You're welcome.

<3

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.