Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone...i would really appreciate any help. I've got the opportunity of a job, playing the piano in this local shopping centre.
    I am TERRIFIED. But i was wondering if anyone could suggest suitable pieces??
    It's surrounded my little cafes and a few shops.
    Please help.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Omg that's such an AWESOME job
    Pieces by Debussy are quite nice, methinks (:

ReputationRep:
    I think everything by Chopin is a good idea, also try vivaldis four seasons (especially spring and winter largo, if you manage to find the piano notes anywhere, I did not. so let me know ) and bach, air.
    something more contemporary but also reeeeeally nice (my latest discovery) pieces by a pianist called yiruma, i.e. River flows in you, time forgets, etc. its kind of classical pop -type thing.
    btw, this job sounds REALLY cool, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much guys. Gonna try those. I've got one of the world renowned pieces books. Not sure which one, but ill give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Chopin's Nocturnes!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a good mix of classical and contemporary pieces. Yiruma is indeed very popular. Pieces from TV, films etc would also be great. Non-classical pieces like Mad World or instrumentals of songs would be cool as well because they'd hopefully be recognised.
    For classical pieces, Chopin's Teardrops always seems to go down great. Any popular classical pieces would probably be fine as well. If you're surrounded by oldies, play some bluesy pieces, maybe some musicals like Gerschwin? Learn a few jazz pieces as well, people always love jazz.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going classical, do a well known one so people who don't generally listen to classical will more likely know it
    Funny that everyone's saying Debussy because I'm in a phase where I'm completely in love with his stuff, it's taking me extra long to play because his pieces are like grade 7+ beauties though.
    Or do that Mozart Nocturne- No 9 or something, the really famous one?
    Or Yiruma's River Flows in You- super easy but impressionable

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone who hears you will know either little or no classical music. Keep it to the popular stuff, and throw in one or two pieces you personally enjoy playing.

For example, everyone loves Moonlight Sonata, and it's a relaxing, easy piece to play as a pianist.

You will probably get the same kind of response playing Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, as playing the 3rd movement - so don't make things too hard for yourself. This will not be a discerning audience.

ReputationRep:
    Eric Satie's Gymnopedie numero uno. It's fairly easy and gets a fair old oooohh reaction!
    plus it's bloody gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Almost everyone who hears you will know either little or no classical music. Keep it to the popular stuff, and throw in one or two pieces you personally enjoy playing.

For example, everyone loves Moonlight Sonata, and it's a relaxing, easy piece to play as a pianist.

You will probably get the same kind of response playing Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, as playing the 3rd movement - so don't make things too hard for yourself. This will not be a discerning audience.
    exactly! Total tune. It's all very well saying just play a bit of Debussy's Flaxen wonder, but it's not really a walk in the park if you're a bit nervy.

ReputationRep:
    How about some Einaudi? Easy to play and lovely to listen to.

Otherwise, Chopin wrote some wonderful nocturnes, etudes and mazurkas.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.