Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone again. I've probably posted this in the wrong place. But I was just wondering about taking Further Maths next year. (Im in Y11 at the moment). I do both Maths & Statistics (not additional maths as school didn't offer it), and they are both my favourite lessons. I intend to get A* in both of these subjects, and I know I am taking Maths but not sure about the further maths? Is it really difficult - I wouldn't consider myself anykind of Maths genius but I think I am reasonably good.

Anyone who did/does Further Maths comment on how much harder it is then normal A-level maths, and how much extra work do you have to put in? Also do you need a reccomendation from your old school to do Further Maths? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuseStarlight)
    Hello everyone again. I've probably posted this in the wrong place. But I was just wondering about taking Further Maths next year. (Im in Y11 at the moment). I do both Maths & Statistics (not additional maths as school didn't offer it), and they are both my favourite lessons. I intend to get A* in both of these subjects, and I know I am taking Maths but not sure about the further maths? Is it really difficult - I wouldn't consider myself anykind of Maths genius but I think I am reasonably good.

Anyone who did/does Further Maths comment on how much harder it is then normal A-level maths, and how much extra work do you have to put in? Also do you need a reccomendation from your old school to do Further Maths? Thanks.
    what do you think you would want to do post a levels? what kind of degree/career?

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is really no harder than regular maths. It's more like extra maths..

You do however have to take compulsory modules (FP1, FP2 etc) which may seem a little different to regular maths but it are by no means impossible. It's things like imaginary numbers and matrices to begin with - really quite easy to grasp.

There is the option then to take a selection of modules, some follow on from regular maths and others which take a completely different slant can be picked up too (D1 - more about algorithms and stuff than pure maths).

I would recommend it as I thoroughly enjoyed it, being a maths lover myself. Maybe look into some of the modules first before you make your mind up?

I would suggest though, that is further maths would not benefit your future course/ career, you consider whether taking something else in it's place might benefit you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan.)
    what do you think you would want to do post a levels? what kind of degree/career?
    I have had a little look at University Websites on courses, and the required A-Levels. I intend to study:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

And Either Further Maths/Geography.

I would rather do Further Maths, and I'm interested in studying Natural Sciences of Biology at university. I'm sure Further Maths would be more useful opposed to Geography?

ReputationRep:
    Give it a go. You can always drop it if you won't be able to cope.

ReputationRep:
    I have had a little look at University Websites on courses, and the required A-Levels. I intend to study:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

I would rather do Further Maths, and I'm interested in studying Natural Sciences of Biology at university. I'm sure Further Maths would be more useful opposed to Geography?
    ohh thats a tough one
    all of physical geography at A level is very releveant to natural sciences
    and its counted as a kind of essay subject which you would lack if taking further maths

on the other hand further maths is very well respected and perfect for any science degree

take all 5
    maths, FM, bio chem geog
    at least of AS level take all 5 and then see at A2 what you wanna drop of if you can cope with all 5

good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you're keen, do it! There is nothing better than doing what you love.

ReputationRep:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

yeh one of my mates in my further maths class took maths, bio chem and f.maths. he wants to study medicine at imperial.

i took further maths cos i was good at maths and thought it would be an easy A but turns out its a little bit tricky (i find hardest out of maths, chem and phys), since theres things in the core maths modules which you need to know for further.

i got an A* last year and am not finding it too bad this year so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    further maths is easier in some respects as the content is alot more interesting and challenging so u are more likely to want to learn the stuff as opposed to learning the more teadious stuff in regular math

i did math and stats at gcse an got a*'s but im no genius, and im still predicted A's for both so not that hard

ReputationRep:
    Cheers everyone. Going to do it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.