Turn on thread page Beta

I hate how much of a stranglehold sports have in this country watch

ReputationRep:
    I really am not impressed.

Earlier, I went into town to get a spot of lunch and do a bit of shopping. Anyway, suffice to say, when I went into Yate's it was full of people watching Six Nations. Finding a table was difficult enough, but then we had a load of neanderthal men screaming their heads off every couple of minutes. I nearly went a turned the widescreen off and went 'why can't we just have a nice civilised meal?'. Why is it that whenever there's a bloody match of football or rugby, cities become a no-go area? All I wanted was my usual lasagne, but I had to leave because I couldn't bare the atmosphere in there. I then had to contend with a pannini and caramel macchiato from Starbucks, which was full.

If it had been tennis or cricket, then I would not have minded as much because you don't normally get a horrible atmosphere associated with those two sports. I don't mind people getting excited about the nonsense that is rugby or football, but when it starts to impinge on my lunchtime plans, then I get fiercely annoyed.

Does it annoy you how much a stranglehold sports have on this country>

ReputationRep:
    So because you don't like it, everyone in the country who is passionate about these sports should bow down to your will.

ReputationRep:
    No one cares, sport is one of society's greatest advances/advantages.

ReputationRep:
    Sports are fun to watch and to take part in.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't really any countries where people don't care about sports, or else care significantly less than here.

ReputationRep:
    you went in Yates' for a civilised meal? you go to a place that does £4 buy one get one free meals, cheap beer, town centre location, live sky sports and expect it not to be busy on a weekend, are you mad?

cook yourself, or go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if English fans are even barely civilised. We were banned from Europe for 5 years weren't we; then we had Hillsborough. As far as I'm concerned, rugby and football are for the low-class.

ReputationRep:
    oh get over it, you dont own the bloody pub, other people have hobbies besides you

and no it doesnt bother me, im a huge football fan myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    It's not as if English fans are even barely civilised. We were banned from Europe for 5 years weren't we; then we had Hillsborough. As far as I'm concerned, rugby and football are for the low-class.
    as far as im concerned, going to Yates to eat a £4 lasagne is for the lower class :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    as far as im concerned, going to Yates to eat a £4 lasagne is for the lower class :puke:
    Yes I suppose I was slumming it a bit in there, but I did eventually go to Starbucks you see, where I was with my brethren who could string more than a sentence together (unlike the Yates' lot).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    you must be one of those trolls who has an ability to exist outside of the matrix

also anyone who uses an affordable mid market coffee chain as a measure of socio-economic and educational status is a failure at life
    You don't particularly see chavs / the footballing thug type (most football fans) using Starbucks.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with whats been posted already. OP, You cant always have what you want when you want it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't particularly see chavs / the footballing thug type (most football fans) using Starbucks.

most football fans are thugs? lol wut :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yes because instead you are given pseudo intellectual douchebags who attach their social being to the aesthetics of an obscure operating system. Both parties are stupid but in subtly different ways, the latter being pretentious and dumb. Star-bucks seems to be the perfect place for you.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, OP, I suppose your hobbies and interests are of utmost importance to this great nation of ours?

Also, you clearly know nothing about rugby if you think the atmosphere is as segregated, shall we say, as in a football match.

Boohoo someone has a different interest to yourself. Grow up.

EDIT: Great, thanks to you Wales have scored. I hope youre happy now.

ReputationRep:
    tbf Yates was probably the worst place to go.

ReputationRep:
    haha you moan about the english fans being thugs even though the itailians are much more violent (not so much in the international game but deffinatly in the domestic game). and your comment about hillsborough that has sweet **** all to do with thugs that was the fault of the police and stewards for letting in so many. anyway why should anyone give a damn about your lunch plans ?

ReputationRep:
    Although, the OP is trolling she has a point. In a way people are too into sports and waste their lives watching it.

But, lol its probably true that stupid people are more into sports, certainly the smart people who are say good at sciences aren't really known for being sporty. Its mainly, dumb jocks that end up packing bags in supermarkets that are sporty.

I think Maddox said it best.

ReputationRep:
    Does it annoy you how much a stranglehold sports have on this country>
    Don't let it bother you. These people get so passionate through spectator sports because they don't do any themselves. They are living through other people. It is the best they can do - smile grimly and feel sorry for them. Then go and live with a real sport breathing through you and pulsating through your arteries. Think about it - such emotional investment in their behalf for such a poor sensory experience (They can only hear through the commentator and see what the cameras show them) in practice demonstrates their lack of life. Let them live their shadow life.

A pub of rowdy people is a demonstration of a poverty of experience if there ever was one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Although, the OP is trolling she has a point. In a way people are too into sports and waste their lives watching it.

But, lol its probably true that stupid people are more into sports, certainly the smart people who are say good at sciences aren't really known for being sporty. Its mainly, dumb jocks that end up packing bags in supermarkets that are sporty.

I think Maddox said it best.
    Like Marcus du Sautoy, an Arsenal fan? Or Harold Bohr, who played for the Danish national team? And his brother Niels, who was a goalkeeper

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.