Turn on thread page Beta

I hate how much of a stranglehold sports have in this country watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Although, the OP is trolling she has a point. In a way people are too into sports and waste their lives watching it.

But, lol its probably true that stupid people are more into sports, certainly the smart people who are say good at sciences aren't really known for being sporty. Its mainly, dumb jocks that end up packing bags in supermarkets that are sporty.

I think Maddox said it best.
    Watch me, mate....
    You know, people like you will just end up as an executive of something and get stuck there forever... nerd... :rolleyes:
    Or maybe, you're just too jealous of people who are smart and sporty and then you pick on those who are less intelligent cowardly... whaw, I hate you so much now

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it does. Also, playing football is good, however they don't play it merely watch it whilst drinking, which is doing two of the worst thingsd ever i.e. drinking and watching tv.

I don't. Just pointing out the obvious fact that most football fans are stupid.
    As opposed to what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Many football fans may be ignorant - but please don't confuse that with being stupid. Some of the most intelligent people I have come across are also profoundly ignorant. I think you will find that many intelligent people do enjoy sports, the distinction tends to be doing it as opposed to emotionally investing in pixels on a screen.
    Doing sports is good. Espically, as its good exercise. However, as you say most people who are intelligent generally actually do the sport instead of watching it on TV. Ignorant and stupid are the same thing in my book, espically when most people have the internet so they don't really need to be ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    It's not as if English fans are even barely civilised. We were banned from Europe for 5 years weren't we; then we had Hillsborough. As far as I'm concerned, rugby and football are for the low-class.
    Is that supposed to be a joke?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but then the point is that they only focus on sports. When they fail at sports they always end up doing a crappy job. Also, most football fans don't actually really do the sports. Thats why you see fat people at football games as all they do is watch it and drink alcohol. I doubt professional footballers go to the pub every saturday and sunday to drink lots of alcohol.

So yeah, doing sports does require talent and good genetics, however being a sports fan doesn't. There is a big difference from a fan and someone that does it.

Anecdotal evidence. I've seen the complete opposite. Actually, Hawking has no physical ability, however he has achieved academically what most people can only dream off, so no thats wrong.
    Riiiiiiight...

OK first of all, yes there are many sportsmen who dont achieve professional status however I hardly see this as something which should be chastised considering many continue to invest their time in their passion. Secondly, your swipe at sports fans is simply idiotic. Not every emotional endeavor will produce a monetary or physical reward, I can bet my ass that you probably have a plethora of gadgets at your disposal or that you take some time out of a day to indulge in video games, should I be criticizing you for not having an active role in the tech/videogame industry.

Passion in that which does not even provide necessary remuneration is an integral part of the human condition, criticizing it only highlights one's hypocrisy as we all have hobbies that we partake in.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I study at one of your choices, and maybe History is an 'unknown course'.

Tbf though, it's a highly overrated university anyway.
    Yupe, but it doesn't gotta do with Russell grant, does it? I don't see why people are using such term as some sort of ranking, thus making them 'superior' somehow, ignorant really..

And that I stalked on your profile... it seems to be you don't mention what Uni you study at. Instead, you keep telling them "Oh I study in Russell Group Uni"... And you have a few posts associated with Southampton, I guess that's where you're studying? Tbh though, (sorry for being snobbish here, but I really want to say this to your face)... if you ARE studying in soton, I apply to them because I wanted to fill up the last empty choice in my UCAS application...

But it makes sense though. Soton as firm, Keele as Insurance... you are, apparently, the lower-intelligent one

ReputationRep:
    I hate sports too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    Watch me, mate....
    You know, people like you will just end up as an executive of something and get stuck there forever... nerd... :rolleyes:
    Or maybe, you're just too jealous of people who are smart and sporty and then you pick on those who are less intelligent cowardly... whaw, I hate you so much now
    Not really. I'm not jealous of people who are smart and sporty. To be fair, I wasen't born particularly sporty or smart. To be fair if people invested the time in studying instead of watching football then they would be intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Legalise killing people in dark tunnels with guns and turn it into a sport then I won't feel a need to be a hypocrite.
    That might be a yes

To be fair Bishamon, I do go out and bust my balls on my bike several times a week.
    You busting your ass on the bike is besides the point, by playing videogames (a pastime which I am also rather passionate about) your partake in an endeavor that reaps no physical/monetary reward. I also assume you dont contribute to the development or quality assurance processes which go into the manufacture of these titles you enjoy yet you spend hours playing them. What makes you any different from the casual football fan? Nothing.

Is this a bad thing? No.

To criticise a football fan is to criticise one who enjoys a product he had no hand in creating, a hobbyist. As an intelligent species, avocation is one of the key characteristics which differentiates us from most of the mammalian kingdom, we all do it so to criticise it strikes me as rather narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I'm not jealous of people who are smart and sporty. To be fair, I wasen't born particularly sporty or smart. To be fair if people invested the time in studying instead of watching football then they would be intelligent.
    Intelligence and Knowledge are two different things... I'm starting to doubt your thinking skills now really
    Maybe your nickname says it all.. (it makes sense now )

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if English fans are even barely civilised. We were banned from Europe for 5 years weren't we; then we had Hillsborough. As far as I'm concerned, rugby and football are for the low-class.
    even if you are a troll there are lines and thats way over them, an apology shouldn't be out of the question here

but hey at least you're studying an academic course at a russel group uni well done you

ReputationRep:
    I really am not impressed.

I nearly went a turned the widescreen off and went 'why can't we just have a nice civilised meal?'.
    You realise that your statement can be translated to mean

"I nearly went and committed suicide"

ReputationRep:

Earlier, I went into town to get a spot of lunch and do a bit of shopping. Anyway, suffice to say, when I went into Yate's it was full of people watching Six Nations. Finding a table was difficult enough, but then we had a load of neanderthal men screaming their heads off every couple of minutes. I nearly went a turned the widescreen off and went 'why can't we just have a nice civilised meal?'. Why is it that whenever there's a bloody match of football or rugby, cities become a no-go area? All I wanted was my usual lasagne, but I had to leave because I couldn't bare the atmosphere in there. I then had to contend with a pannini and caramel macchiato from Starbucks, which was full.

If it had been tennis or cricket, then I would not have minded as much because you don't normally get a horrible atmosphere associated with those two sports. I don't mind people getting excited about the nonsense that is rugby or football, but when it starts to impinge on my lunchtime plans, then I get fiercely annoyed.

Does it annoy you how much a stranglehold sports have on this country>
    So true, though this is part of the fact I just dislike people in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    You realise that your statement can be translated to mean

"I nearly went and committed suicide"
    That made me chuckle .

I'd love to see their reaction if I had have done that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Riiiiiiight...

OK first of all, yes there are many sportsmen who dont achieve professional status however I hardly see this as something which should be chastised considering many continue to invest their time in their passion. Secondly, your swipe at sports fans is simply idiotic. Not every emotional endeavor will produce a monetary or physical reward, I can bet my ass that you probably have a plethora of gadgets at your disposal or that you take some time out of a day to indulge in video games, should I be criticizing you for not having an active role in the tech/videogame industry.

Passion in that which does not even provide necessary remuneration is an integral part of the human condition, criticizing it only highlights one's hypocrisy as we all have hobbies that we partake in.
    Vast majourity don't make it. Sports is really cut throat and lol a lot of it is genetics. In the sense that if you are white male then you pretty much should give up on a dream of being a 100m runner, however I suspose you can do 400m.

Actually, if something is active then it will normally would produce benefits. However, watching sports is passive, in way I don't have anything against people doing sports.

Video games are active. Yes, I do play video games, I actually play CSS about an hour a day and sometimes more. However, I want to be a mathematician and to be a mathematician I need to have good spatial skills(even more so when I want research into geometry and study higher dimensions). Video games have been shown to increase spatial alot http://www.physorg.com/news110203374.html

Hobbies shouldn't involve watching TV. Also, in another point investing emotion in teams is stupid. You must have a pretty sad life to invest in other peoples achievements. I for one want to achieve something in my life not watch other people do it. However, I guess actually doing something is hard, but watching sports whilst drinking is not.

ReputationRep:
    You should just learn not to go out when big sporting occasions are on. England vs Wales in any sport is a huge game. Get behind your country and support them to glory whats the problem? Doesn't it make you proud knowing we have world champions in hundreds of sports?

ReputationRep:
    If a bunch of people had walked into the pub shouting and being rowdy for no reason, would they have been told to quieten down a bit in respect for the other people in there? I hope so, anyway. So why should it be different when there's people watching a sport on TV? I have no issues with someone sitting at home, screaming at their own television. It's their home and their business as to what they do at home. But when someone, and in particular, a group of people, start being loud and disruptive to other people in a public place, then why should that be acceptable? What's the difference between that and someone, say, smoking in a pub or doing something else anti-social in a pub?

I ask this in all seriousness. I don't think anyone can deny that a lot of fans of sports such as football and rugby can be irritating and can cause a lot of disruption, and sometimes even violence (though obviously only in extreme cases and obviously not all fans of such sports are like this). It's one of the reasons I don't really enjoying going to see live football matches because there's a lot of aggression in the atmosphere over something that, though it can be a lot of fun in some people's eyes, doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    Intelligence and Knowledge are two different things... I'm starting to doubt your thinking skills now really
    Maybe your nickname says it all.. (it makes sense now )
    Yes, but whats the point in having intelligence is you haven't got knowledge. In a more improtant sense knowledge is more improtant.

You can waste intelligence, i.e. watching football in free time instead of studying is a good example.

ReputationRep:
    Vast majourity don't make it. Sports is really cut throat and lol a lot of it is genetics. In the sense that if you are white male then you pretty much should give up on a dream of being a 100m runner, however I suspose you can do 400m.
    What a STUPID thing to say, colour or race doesn't have anything to do with how fast you run.

Granted there are a lot of top athletes that are black but equally if not more there are white.

IDIOT :mad:

ReputationRep:

Earlier, I went into town to get a spot of lunch and do a bit of shopping. Anyway, suffice to say, when I went into Yate's it was full of people watching Six Nations. Finding a table was difficult enough, but then we had a load of neanderthal men screaming their heads off every couple of minutes. I nearly went a turned the widescreen off and went 'why can't we just have a nice civilised meal?'. Why is it that whenever there's a bloody match of football or rugby, cities become a no-go area? All I wanted was my usual lasagne, but I had to leave because I couldn't bare the atmosphere in there. I then had to contend with a pannini and caramel macchiato from Starbucks, which was full.

If it had been tennis or cricket, then I would not have minded as much because you don't normally get a horrible atmosphere associated with those two sports. I don't mind people getting excited about the nonsense that is rugby or football, but when it starts to impinge on my lunchtime plans, then I get fiercely annoyed.

Does it annoy you how much a stranglehold sports have on this country>

yeah, of course you did :rofl:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.