Turn on thread page Beta

I hate how much of a stranglehold sports have in this country watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    You're right, my example is silly. It's all I could think of at short notice.

I think the point I'm trying to make (and have only just realised that I'm trying to make) is that if 50 people want to go into a pub to watch a football game, that's fine by me. I wouldn't want 50 people to have to change their plans because of me, a single person.

But do they have to watch it so...loudly? With some other activities, you could do said activity in a pub with a lot of other people and without disturbing anyone else who might happen to want to go into the pub at the same time. But it seems that with football (or sports matches that involve 'louder' fans) there HAS to be disruptive behaviour. If the football fans sat there, spoke amongst themselves, perhaps cheered lightly when a goal was scored, then fine, but if they insist on being particularly loud, can't they do that at home? Isn't that the definition of anti-social behaviour, that by behaving in the way that they do, they stop other people from doing what they usually would do?
    Do they have to care about what you like or disapprove of?

ReputationRep:
    sunpro aren't you that crazy woman that freaked out because your boyfriends mum left ashtrays in the kitchen or some crap like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
    Yes, race does have a lot to do with it. Whites and Blacks have different muscle and bone structure, theirs makes them better at sprinting.

Simplicity - please just shut the **** up, you're embarrassing yourself, and stop bringing maths ability into every discussion.
    He's a Math student if you notice... darn, he really embarrassed math

(Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    You think rugby is low class?!

It's seen as being a 'posh' game, strongly associated with public schools, as the majority of players have been educated in the independent sector.

The fans themselves, are also a world away from football fans, and fans of opposing sides can happily and safely mix in the stands. No violence. A bit of banter though.

May I suggest you educate yourself a bit more?
    :ditto:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Like Marcus du Sautoy, an Arsenal fan? Or Harold Bohr, who played for the Danish national team? And his brother Niels, who was a goalkeeper
    Have you read quantum sir? :ninja:

<3

ReputationRep:
    Several things wrong here 1: you went to yates' for a civilised meal and YOU are calling people Neanderthals? anyone who thinks yates' is civilised would struggle to understand the rules of Rugby! 2: you went in to a city centre pub with cheap food and beer with sky sports on opening day of the 6 nations. what the hell did you expect? 3: you say tennis and cricket are more civilised. Go and sit with the Barmy army during the ashes. 4. it's not a stranglehold. it's called popularity. If you don't like it, there are plenty of places not showing sport that serve food. Don't expect the majority to bend to your whims just because you're a whiny cow. 5: never **** with a wales' england rugby game unless you want to play 'how many tetleys and brains bitter glasses can I dodge before i'm sparked out'

ReputationRep:
    Rugby is **** anyway
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Rugby is brilliant, even thoough football fans and such seem to like negging me for my interest lol!

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    Not liking the way that womyn have been treated over the years by your gender does not make me a 'militant dyke'. I dislike male oppression, yes.

But everybody knows that women have smaller brains than men. :p: It's scientifically proven, by a trusted Kazakh scientist. The government scientist Dr Yamuka has proved it is the size of a squirrel's.:borat: :borat:

Secondly, do Russell Group scholars, if I may call you that without causing too much offence, spell "women" incorrectly???

Male oppression?? Try living in Saudi :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    Rugby is **** anyway
    Union is brilliant, even League is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Have you read quantum sir? :ninja:

<3
    Could you expand on that?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Could you expand on that?
    Oh its a popular book, it contains those facts about the Bohrs sporting backgrounds and such =]

<3

ReputationRep:
    Yes I suppose I was slumming it a bit in there, but I did eventually go to Starbucks you see, where I was with my brethren who could string more than a sentence together (unlike the Yates' lot).
    Woah, the sensor for elitist views is off the chart :O

ReputationRep:
    I really am not impressed.

Earlier, I went into town to get a spot of lunch and do a bit of shopping. Anyway, suffice to say, when I went into Yate's it was full of people watching Six Nations. Finding a table was difficult enough, but then we had a load of neanderthal men screaming their heads off every couple of minutes. I nearly went a turned the widescreen off and went 'why can't we just have a nice civilised meal?'. Why is it that whenever there's a bloody match of football or rugby, cities become a no-go area? All I wanted was my usual lasagne, but I had to leave because I couldn't bare the atmosphere in there. I then had to contend with a pannini and caramel macchiato from Starbucks, which was full.

If it had been tennis or cricket, then I would not have minded as much because you don't normally get a horrible atmosphere associated with those two sports. I don't mind people getting excited about the nonsense that is rugby or football, but when it starts to impinge on my lunchtime plans, then I get fiercely annoyed.

Does it annoy you how much a stranglehold sports have on this country>

this is almost as retarded as your "womyn" thread.
    why are you alive? your are a ******* petty, retarded ***** who really needs to grow the **** up. noone cares if you are annoyed, society has not and will not ever change because of your stupid opinions

ReputationRep:
    Oh its a popular book, it contains those facts about the Bohrs sporting backgrounds and such =]

<3
    A guide for the perplexed?

I've got it too...

ReputationRep:

<3

Oh right, never read read it, i will have to do it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Actually there is a lot of evidence to suggest that black people have, on average, a higher abundance of fast and super-fast twitch muscle compared to caucasians. Look at the line-up in the World 100m final - you can't tell me that the fact that every single runner was black (as they were in the olympics IIRC) is purely coincidental?

In any case, jog on OP.
    It's not 'black people', it's people from very specific regions of Africa/the Caribbean

eg. all them kenyan marathon runners come from the same tiny little valley in kenya, most of the sprinteres have origins in very specific parts of west africa etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    this is the perfect example of why we need multiquote. anyway, lol @ the op, wtf is she on about, and i find the term slumming it, quite disrespectful actually. and im sooo sorry you had to only have a panini. must have hurt. there are people that would walk 100 miles to have a panini, ******* live with it. glad you go banned as well.

/end abuse @ op

sport, is massive in this country, and tbh thats a good thing. exercise is good for you, people like football because it is imcedible cheap and easy to play, hell all you need is a ball most of the time, and often you dont even need that, a ******* can will suffice.

im sorry were not all rich enough to have our own horses and play polo with the aristocracy.

also if you go into a pub (which main selling point is the live sport) during an international game of one of the most followed sports, wtf do you expect....

also we were banned from Europe becuase of Heysel (where liverpool and juventus fans brought a dividing wall down, crushing juventus fans) not Hillsborough, so get your facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    You expected a civilised meal going into a Yates's bar?

Someone needs a reality check.

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't OP.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, get a life OP.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.