The Student Room Group

Slaughter and May interview

Hey guys,

I have an interview scheduled with Slaughter and May for the upcoming Thursday, (11th).

This would be my first interview EVER, so naturally I'm rather tense.

If any one else has been for an interview and wouldn't mind sharing information on what the interview is like, or how best to prepare for it, that would be really really appreciated.

Thanks!
I'd be a bit wary of Slaughter.
few drinks before it. to ease the nerves.
Reply 3

This is pretty accurate. think about obvious CV based questions: why did you choose x subject at A level/uni, why that uni. you'll get an article to read before the interview, probably from the economist, on some current affairs type issue and then asked to discuss it. it feels a lot more like a chat than an interview. most people enjoy the experience, whatever the outcome.

good luck
Reply 4
Thank you peachmelba!
They'll greet you at reception and give you a random newspaper article to read for 15 mins - they have a selection of them. The interviewers (I think it's usually two partners or a partner and an associate) will come out, greet you and take you to a meeting room. The interview itself is pretty relaxed - they'll offer you tea and coffee and it just feels like a casual chat. It's not intimidating at all, but you do have to remember you're being assessed!

The interview itself will last for about 50 minutes, give or take, and it'll definitely have a big focus on your CV/Covering Letter and on the article. You can't really prepare specifically for the article other than being commercially aware - mine was a short piece from that morning's FT about the benefits of nuclear energy, for instance - so just read the business sections of the newspapers and maybe read up a bit further about commercial current affairs if you want. Your CV and covering letter, on the other hand, you can prepare for really well: if you have any dodgy exam results they will probably ask about them, they'll definitely ask about your university subject, they'll probably ask about your A-Level subjects. Try and put yourself in their position and think of some tough questions about your CV. And make sure to prepare answers to the classic questions: "why law in general?", "why law in the City?", "why slaughter and may?", "what do you enjoy about your subject?", "why should we hire you?" (they probably won't be that blunt about it!). Try and properly prepare answers to these questions, write them down and everything, because there's a good chance they could come up and if you've got a thoroughly prepared answer you can really knock them out the park.

Beyond that they conversation will probably progress fairly organically: if you mention something, they might follow up on it and start a conversation (so try and avoid bringing up an issue if you'd really rather they didn't ask you more about it!). One thing they might do is to ask you to pick a specific issue from your university subject, explain it briefly and then they'll ask you more about it (all those weird questions on the WikiJobs site will definitely stem from questions about the applicant's university subject, I don't think they would ever ask about "conceptual art" unless they were talking to an art student!). On the whole they don't tend to throw difficult 'curveball' questions. But they might well ask some easily accessible, general current affairs questions unprompted: "do you think banker's bonuses should be capped?", for instance.

One more thing: that WikiJobs site says "successful candidates will get called within 3 days", that's definitely not true, Slaughters sometimes takes a week or two to get back even to successful candidates.

Good luck. :smile:
Oh forgot to mention: at the end of the interview they'll ask if you have any questions. Make sure you prepare 2 or 3 insightful questions for the end: do not ask any question that you'd be able to find out the answer to on their website (eg. "what pro bono work do you do?", that's on their website)! Equally don't ask something so probing that they won't want to answer it, like questions about a current deal they're doing. Something in the middle. :smile:
Reply 7
bluecrystal2008
Does anyone know how long it normally takes for Slaughter to get back to you after interview? Thanks.

It really depends on when the partners who interviewed you are free to discuss it with HR. They told me they usually take a few days/a week, but they took about 2 weeks to get back to me.
Reply 8
And when they can speak to your referee.
Reply 9
bluecrystal2008
Thank you for your information. Did you apply for this year's vac scheme and have you heard from them already? :smile:

You're welcome. No, I just applied for a 2012 TC in September. Don't worry if you haven't heard from them yet, it could still be good news!
Reply 10
I had an interview with them recently. Did anyone else have a sort of debrief chat with someone from HR after the interview and tour by the trainee? I ask because I don't remember it being mentioned beforehand. Also does anyone know if it counts towards the decision? I assume so as it was with HR, but would like to know as mine went on for a while and I covered a few things a lot better than with the partners.
Reply 11
Mifou
I had an interview with them recently. Did anyone else have a sort of debrief chat with someone from HR after the interview and tour by the trainee? I ask because I don't remember it being mentioned beforehand. Also does anyone know if it counts towards the decision? I assume so as it was with HR, but would like to know as mine went on for a while and I covered a few things a lot better than with the partners.

Yeah the tour and the end chat with HR seem to be standard. The trainee apparently doesn't have any say in the decision but I was told that the HR person is still part of the assessment even though it's really informal.

Latest

Trending

Trending