Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to london next week, and have decided to buy/get an oystercard. It says that when you first get your Oyster card, you will need to pay a refundable £3 deposit.
    Does this mean that the £3 gets put onto the card? Also, what's the difference between buying it when you get there (in london), or getting it online?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What are you moving to London?

ReputationRep:
    I think it means you can get the £3 back once you stop using the oyster, I dont think it gets put on the card. And I doubt there is any difference where you buy the card.

ReputationRep:
    It's not added to your card.
    I got my first oyster card last week and gave £15. They gave me the card with £12 credit on it.
    Presumably if I give my card back, they will refund £3 in cash to me.

You get the card straight away which is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    When you give the card back you get £3 back.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    If you buy and top up online you have to specify a specific station where you will 'collect' the top-up. I don't see why it can't just put itself on at the time of payment. So if you're meeting a friend say for example in London, but your not sure where and you need to top up, your screwed. You'd have to go to a station and top up. Can be a bit annoying but.. yeah. It's cheaper at the end of the day haha

ReputationRep:
    sparkle is right

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.