Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have an offer for Bangor to study Psychology, all I need to do is pass the course I'm currently on. This basically means turning up to college and handing my work in, so in terms of accessibility it's more than possible!

I haven't heard back from Sheffield or Warwick yet (anticipating a rejection from Warwick and probably one from Sheffield) but I have been rejected from Nottingham and Leeds.

However.

Bangor is not my first choice, in fact it was my last choice and pretty much the only place I didn't want to go to! I don't know why, but I just have this idea that it's a chavy, small, run down little town and I already come from one of them :o: (Sorry Bangor people!) Plus it's massively far from my home - Which is next to London. My parents may possibly be moving to Lincoln in October which will be even harder to get home to!

If I turn down Bangor, and go into Extra, am I likely to get a place at a different uni? I realise I may have set my sights a little too high with Warwick/Leeds/Nottingham, but I'd still like to aim for something similar to Bangor or Sheffield. I definitely want to study Psychology come October.

ReputationRep:
    I will say two things:

1. Don't assume that you're going to be rejected from Sheffield and Warwick. You never know what might happen- just wait and see!

2. Don't go to a university that you don't think you'll be happy at. Have you visited Bangor? I'll admit I know next to nothing about the place, but if I'd applied to a university that I later realised I wasn't that keen on, I'd rather 'risk it' by going into Extra than just going to the university for the sake of it. I mean, if you end up at Bangor and are unhappy, it's a bit of a waste of time, especially if you have the feeling that you could've gone somewhere else more to your taste and especially considering how much time, effort and money goes into studying at university.

I don't know about Extra and places for psychology, but the above is just my opinion. I hope it all goes well for you in the end!

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said, I'd advise against going to Bangor. I don't know much about it and so I don't know whether what you're thinking has any truth to it, but if it was always your last choice then chances are it's not a good idea. I think you definitely have to be certain about where you want to go - there's no point choosing a last resort because you most likely won't enjoy it. Saying that, if you've never visited before then you may actually like it. Is there any chance you could visit soon - ish?

If not then yeah, there's always extra. I'm not sure how good it was last year but it's certainly something to consider. I think if you google the UCAS 09 search, you can tick the box for 'extra only' and it'll bring up everything that was in extra.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have visited Bangor, I was impressed with the course and the lecturers BUT I didn't like the town/accomodation that much.

Liked it more than Lincoln though, which I hated...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.