Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How good is the Nuffield Bursary for medicine.

Is it looked up on highly. Does i put you ahead of others?

And I have talked with people from different professions and medicine seemed most interesting.

And I will be doing 1 Week work XP at hospital (organised programme for people wanting to do medicine, each day in different department)

What do you think?

My main question is about the Nuffield bursary, but do I have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    can you please link me to the nuffield bursary medicine website?
    i cant seem to find it, and would really like some more information.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I love how 99% of your post is irrelevant to your actual question. Good work.

ReputationRep:
    It looks very much like a spam post to me with some extra stuff so it wouldn't get deleted immediately.

ReputationRep:
    Am i able to do the nuffield thing as i am only 16?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/go.../page_394.html

I think that's the relevant page.

ReputationRep:
    I spent a couple of weeks working alongside some Nuffield students last summer. Some of them were doing it for Medicine, some not. I think Oxbridge would probably like it. Don't do it instead of work exp, but if you want to do it, go for it. You're gonna have to really like lab work to not die of boredom in the first ten minutes, though.

ReputationRep:
    Seems very like a promotional plug, especially the reference to "(free course)" plus the irrelevant yet extensive timetable.

However, Go to the Nuffield site, it has been quoted in a post above and ask your careers adviser

ReputationRep:
    I did a nuffield science bursury....it was at the National Institute of Medical Research......I did it on the transport of influenza in a cell....it was really different to what you do it school.(I had to transfect monkey cells with influenza H1N1)..and you contribute to real research which is really good... i think this is excellent oppurtunity and is looked up upon by the russel group unis especially...and you get paid £80 a week...so not that bad =]

ReputationRep:
    Nuffield bursary ftw, I found it a very good experience, working in chem dept at the OU for four weeks,
    they do drop you in at the deep end haha,

after writing my report, i submitted it to the nationalscience comp 2010,
    heading their in March for the finals,

OP your post is certainly a strange one :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    and whilst waiting for my experiments to run i just sat there reading medic blogs and discovered London Elektricity :rolleyes: listening to that on the 2hr commute in the summer was so chilleddd

ReputationRep:
    I also carried out research with the nuffield bursary scheme, it was kind-of fun but a lot of hard work. They asked me about it at interview though so its something good to talk about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    No. Not unless your doing your as levels currently.

Anyway - i'd definitely recommend doing a nuffield bursary, i did one, and its come up in all of my interviews thus far, and its looked on really favourably. Research is an avenue of medicine thats really important, and often overlooked by applicants when organising work experience. (mine was on the treatment and prophylaxis of acute pancreatitis, through inhibition of the coagulation cascade if any one was interested [although probably not])...

If your not successful through the official applications thing, you should deffo try to contact an institution or university thats local to you, and ask if they have any spots for young researchers, and then after securing one of these spots, contact the nuffield people and ask if you qualify for a gold crest/bursary. I know a couple people who have gone down that route...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    you have to be in yr12
    i turned 17 halfway through my project

ReputationRep:
    Stumbled across this thread, the OP is clearly just advertising some BS. Anyway, did anyone who did it and is going to do Medicine at uni or is doing Medicine at Uni find it relevant to their course or anything at all to do with being a Doctor?

Because I'm seriously thinking about doing it but I'm unsure if it would be relevant to Medicine as a course in the slightest or to being a Doctor. Obviously that would depends on the project but I haven't heard much to do with clinical medicine in way of the bursary projects. I know it would be good for universities to look at but I also have work experience perhaps being set up in the summer and maybe a summer school and maybe an interview prep day at UCL and maybe some uni open days so I'm not sure if I should tie up 4-6 weeks of my precious summer holiday doing something utterly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Stumbled across this thread, the OP is clearly just advertising some BS. Anyway, did anyone who did it and is going to do Medicine at uni or is doing Medicine at Uni find it relevant to their course or anything at all to do with being a Doctor?

Because I'm seriously thinking about doing it but I'm unsure if it would be relevant to Medicine as a course in the slightest or to being a Doctor. Obviously that would depends on the project but I haven't heard much to do with clinical medicine in way of the bursary projects. I know it would be good for universities to look at but I also have work experience perhaps being set up in the summer and maybe a summer school and maybe an interview prep day at UCL and maybe some uni open days so I'm not sure if I should tie up 4-6 weeks of my precious summer holiday doing something utterly irrelevant.
    Sigh. Do it because you want to do it, not because it will help you get into medical school. If you actually wanted to do it then you wouldn't see it as tying up 4-6 weeks of your holiday like it's some kind of chore, you'd see it as an exciting opportunity.

So please, don't apply for it. Someone else out there might actually want to do it rather than just want to go on it so that they can write about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Sigh. Do it because you want to do it, not because it will help you get into medical school. If you actually wanted to do it then you wouldn't see it as tying up 4-6 weeks of your holiday like it's some kind of chore, you'd see it as an exciting opportunity.

So please, don't apply for it. Someone else out there might actually want to do it rather than just want to go on it so that they can write about it.
    Um, whether I would want to do it completely depends on whether what I'd be doing is relevant and whether I'd be interested in it in the slightest as they have not made it clear to me whether there would be anything remotely related to Medicine available. Which is what I'm asking. It'd be a very 'exciting opportunity' if what I was doing was actually anything to do with Medicine or being a Doctor in general and I would jump at the chance to experience such a thing. Which again was what I was asking. I was not asking for a lecture which completely missed the point of my question.

Just to emphasise my point I'll show you the question again.
    Anyway, did anyone who did it and is going to do Medicine at uni or is doing Medicine at Uni find it relevant to their course or anything at all to do with being a Doctor?
    If I wanted it just to show off to universities and 'write about it' I would have already applied. But unfortunately I would like to do something which interests me so I decided to ask this of some people who have indicated that they have done it previously. So I asked them about their projects to see if the type of project I would be interested in was being offered. Is that ok with you? Or should I just not ask questions?

ReputationRep:
    I know the OP is just advertising crap - which is weird as they said it was free, maybe they need company. Anywho...

I got rejected for the Bursary as i told them that i couldn't od the first 3 weeks of August lol but two of my friends got on - one C grade student, and one A grade student.

One was lucky in that he got to do cardiovascular research for 4 weeks in a uni research lab...
    whereas my other friend spent his first week taking pictures of flowers so quit!

Moral of the story, if you want to do it, do it. But don't expect you'll automatically get an awesome research project!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Megatron)
    I know the OP is just advertising crap - which is weird as they said it was free, maybe they need company. Anywho...

I got rejected for the Bursary as i told them that i couldn't od the first 3 weeks of August lol but two of my friends got on - one C grade student, and one A grade student.

One was lucky in that he got to do cardiovascular research for 4 weeks in a uni research lab...
    whereas my other friend spent his first week taking pictures of flowers so quit!

Moral of the story, if you want to do it, do it. But don't expect you'll automatically get an awesome research project!
    did your flower picture taking friend put down medicine as his uni course choice on the application form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    did your flower picture taking friend put down medicine as his uni course choice on the application form?
    nope... he put animalbehaviour studies, but we werent allowed to put medicineon ours as our teacher said they didn't want medics in particular - so at the last second i hat to tippex it out for the word biology so my app made no sense aha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.