Turn on thread page Beta

So I have a friend, he's single and desperate and asking for my help.

He's has asked 5 different girls (including me!) out in the last month and has been rejected. Then as his friend I have to say that he just hasn't found the girl yet and she'll come along soon.

...Only problem being is I don't think she will. His attempts to "go out" with girls are very pre-school "Hi, will you be my girlfriend? I fancy you". Plus (sorry to be shallow), his appearance/dress sense and personal hygiene isn't good at all...

How am I supposed to help?! I can't exactly tell him these things!

ReputationRep:
    you could try making him a watch a movie in which the guy is in a similar situation as him, and throughout the movie could try dropping sum hints at him.
    show him sumthing that will indirectly tell him where he's going wrong.
    also tell him that he'll fing his gal when he's least expecting it.
    hope ive been of sum help
    =D
    x

ReputationRep:
    Just make subtle hints,

"John get a really nice shirt and jeans, girls will love it"......then subtle comments...."John you look super, I'd do your hair though...."

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if a male friend came up to me and asked me for help in this matter I'd tell him straight up what he's doing wrong (in a constructive way ofc)

Otherwise you can drop hints, as been said.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you've identified some things that may be of help to him, it's the method of saying it which seems more critical than whether or not to actually get it across to him. To say nothing and simply worry for him seems worse as it maintains a fantasy that by not giving himself the appropriate respect he can still expect to find someone appropriate. At least, going by your description that seems to be a factor.

The comments from others as to hints is something I would broadly back up. The practical examples from youngteacher are good. :yep: But you know him - how does he react to directness? Would he appreciate such directness more from you than from someone else?

It's a responsibility, in a certain sense, if he hasn't realised these things and you have. That can seem almost a burden. But you're his friend - and rather than being worried about it, perhaps you should be pleased that even if you have no wish to go out with him yourself, you can still help him with good, gentle, but direct, active and supportive advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have a friend, he's single and desperate and asking for my help.

He's has asked 5 different girls (including me!) out in the last month and has been rejected. Then as his friend I have to say that he just hasn't found the girl yet and she'll come along soon.

...Only problem being is I don't think she will. His attempts to "go out" with girls are very pre-school "Hi, will you be my girlfriend? I fancy you". Plus (sorry to be shallow), his appearance/dress sense and personal hygiene isn't good at all...

How am I supposed to help?! I can't exactly tell him these things!
    For a start, you could help him in improving these things. Maybe go shopping with him, get him some cool new clothes, deodorant/cologne, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.