Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do? watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread is mainly aimed at people that either:
    • Work.
    • Are in school/sixth form/college.
    • Are at uni with a high amount of contact hours a week or go on placements.

By asking what you do I mean hobbies.

Apparently I don't do anything :p: Baring in mind that I'm at college in my last year of A2, very stressed and piss poor because I don't have job. I was talking to my boyfriend earlier about what he could get me for Valentines day and his exact words were 'yeah but you're so hard to buy for, you have no hobbies!' and he said he was talking to all his friends about what to get me and they were absolutely staggered that I seem to not do anything :indiff:

What is there to do? Apparently shopping, going on nights out/drinking with friends, just chilling and watching films/tv and reading books about your favourite subjects don't count. I'm not a sporty person, but I do like swimming but just don't have time to do.

Surely I'm not the only person that doesn't do much right now. What do you do?

ReputationRep:
    gym
    watch documentaries
    watch TV shows
    draw rarely

ReputationRep:
    i've just started going running, but generally i'm a lot like you...i do things but nothing that can be considered a hobby. the majority of friends i have at uni are the same to be honest. my fiance is a polar opposite though...he does bowling, pool, archery and squash!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Read/watch TV/mess about online mostly, as well as bits of writing when I can focus. I don't have the energy to do much else. Which is a shame, because I love swimming, but it takes ages to get there as well so I don't have the time.

ReputationRep:
    i work in a charity shop for a couple of hours on Saturdays and i occasionally surf in the summer, then loadsa shopping and thats pretty much it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, I like to paint and read and occassionally play the piano but I don't do much else due to both being in Sixth Form studying for a couple of A-levels and working and travelling every now and then. There's no point in doing stuff for the sake of it, though, especially if it's like an extra effort. Just do stuff that you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do with a drunken sailor?

Sorry, hobbies; play various instruments, read, exercise/play sports, then if I have a good couple of hours spare then I do various crafty things.

ReputationRep:
    I play football 1 night a week.

I also errr....sleep a lot, spend too long on the internet and that's about it. I have a pretty dull life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 too.
    Hobbies wise I don't really do a lot now because I'm so loaded with school work.

Its a bit sad but my main hobbies currently are working out and teh internets.
    I can't wait till this year is over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    This thread is mainly aimed at people that either:
    • Work.
    • Are in school/sixth form/college.
    • Are at uni with a high amount of contact hours a week or go on placements.
    Lol, I just couldnt go on reading any further past that list.

So this thread is aimed at mainly..... everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Lol, I just couldnt go on reading any further past that list.

So this thread is aimed at mainly..... everyone?
    Oh shush :dry: I should just have put ''not for people that have free time coming out of their ears.''

Anddddddd, there are people on here that have like 6 contact hours at uni per week, or people that just work part time and have the rest of the week to do things. I don't want to know about them! Or gap year people that just float along and watch Jeremy Kyle.

ReputationRep:
    bass guitar/music/draw/eat/nothing

ReputationRep:
    Roleplaying, horses, karate, films!

ReputationRep:
    Imo reading is a hobby. Especially if you are interested in a particular genre/ author :yes:

Also, surely hobbies aren't the only things which one can buy presents based on? Anything you have a fixation with, collect or learn about for the sheer fun of it should still count, no?

I cook, as much as possible,
    I read quite a lot and have particular interests,
    I learn about penguins for the sake of it and collect anything to do with penguins,
    I enjoy running, and swimming occasionally,
    I tutor my niece, (for her benefit, but I enjoy it )
    I enjoy science so find all sorts of magazines, articles, expeditions fascinating,
    and more...

Not all hobbies but the top three have definitely proved to be buying points :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I doodle on random bits of paper I find round the place. Sometimes this extends to chemistry lessons when I should be learning about benzene or summik...

And I'm learning Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    I'm keen on skiing, ice skating and drawing portraits and manga pictures in pencil:

ReputationRep:
    play on my ds
    read
    football
    tattoos
    work out

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Explorer Scout Leader, training up as a Mountain Leader, climbing/abseiling/archery/rifle shooting/canoeing instructor. Trained up as a Level 2 First Aider now. They're sorta other positions more than anything else.

Hobbies-wise, most outdoors stuff - mountaineering, climbing, orienteering, cooking, camping, pioneering, raft building, canoeing, archery, rifle shooting, crafts, survival camping, astronomy, programming, web security, online games, pub, the odd bit of running, cycling now, networking (compter networking lol), and then at the end of the day, a cuppa tea and a good science book, or some TV

ReputationRep:
    Vlog on YouTube
    Theatre
    Photography
    Gigs
    See friends
    Read (a LOT)

ReputationRep:
    I don't do a great deal to be honest... I'm always busy at college or work, so the time I DO have is used most unproductively, i.e. spent in a largely vegetative state, as I'm always knackered. Occasionally I venture kitchenwards to rustle something up, or trek it to a garden centre to pick up some seeds or a new cactus or something, and I love to read and write. Aside from that, no 'hobbies' as such, but I'd love to join a bellydance class if there was one within about 5,000 miles.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.