Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to go on a 'lads' holiday watch

The idea came up about going on holiday this summer, and almost immediately the idea of Magaluf was put forward by one of my friends. Shagging random ****s and drinking yourself into a terrible state has never really appealed to me, which is let's face why most people go to these types of places. I'm also not that interested in the music to consider Ibiza - I just want to go somewhere warm, with a nice beach and sit by the pool for a couple of weeks, drinking moderately and eating well at night. I realize that this is in fact the ambition of a forty year old holidaymaker, but at 18 I'd rather do that. Is there anyone else on here who would feel the same way and would you genuinely consider going alone as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is, is that you don't have to go away with your friends if you don't want to. You could end up wasting £1k on a holiday that you hated. On the other hand, you might enjoy it?

Not everyone that goes to these places are '****s' or get pissed all the time. Ok, I have to admit that the media does not give this holiday genre a good name/image, but you might be surprised if you actually went there?

Just do what you have to do :O)

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is, is that you don't have to go away with your friends if you don't want to. You could end up wasting £1k on a holiday that you hated. On the other hand, you might enjoy it?

Not everyone that goes to these places are '****s' or get pissed all the time. Ok, I have to admit that the media does not give this holiday genre a good name/image, but you might be surprised if you actually went there?

Just do what you have to do :O)

ReputationRep:
    Sweet mother of Jesus! I don't know why it just posted over 5 times :OS sorry!

ReputationRep:
    i would love to go on holiday alone, if i was single and had the funds i would be gone to benidorm tbh

but yeah i agree with you, clubbing hols arnt my thing, been to magaluf (no i didnt shag around or get wasted every night) and i have to say it was one of my worst hols ever, could have been the company mind but i found the place ****

ReputationRep:
    Don't do what your not comfortable with, simple no? Of course I'd go somewhere alone if I didn't want to go on a lads holiday.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, your preference of a good holiday being 'acting like a 40 year old' is pretty insulting to yourself. That's my idea of a great holiday too (culturally motivated mostly), and I'd consider getting smashed every night a complete waste of money.

Just don't go dude. They can't make you waste your money on overpriced beer. Isn't Ibiza the biggest ripoff for drinks?

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

I agree, and I swear on my left boob that I am not a boring person.

I enjoy decadence here in Edinburgh, Scotland. But at the end of 6th year I want to travel to Paris, Moscow, Canada and South Africa to go on an adventure, not to sleep through the day and be pissed the rest of the time (THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT - just not what I want to do here and now).

There is nothing wrong with not wanting a Shagaluf holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Just say no.
    You know it makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    A group of guys I work with are planning a lads trip to Magaluf, there's a hell of a lot of them going. Is that you Joe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The idea came up about going on holiday this summer, and almost immediately the idea of Magaluf was put forward by one of my friends. Shagging random ****s and drinking yourself into a terrible state has never really appealed to me, which is let's face why most people go to these types of places. I'm also not that interested in the music to consider Ibiza - I just want to go somewhere warm, with a nice beach and sit by the pool for a couple of weeks, drinking moderately and eating well at night. I realize that this is in fact the ambition of a forty year old holidaymaker, but at 18 I'd rather do that. Is there anyone else on here who would feel the same way and would you genuinely consider going alone as an alternative?
    I'm exactly the same. EXACTLY. I am much happier by the pool with my book than out acting like a total lunatic all day and night. I wouldn't consider going away alone but I would get together with just a few similar minded people for a holiday. There's no way I'd go on one of those crazy holidays with a huge group of people, ever.

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason you can't enjoy the holiday if you really feel compelled to join your friends. While the media makes places like Magaluf look like a small town's nightlife, the reality is it's a pretty decent place. It is in Majorca after all, which is a fairly beautiful country.

If you have friends who're interesting in doing more than just drinking all day and hitting the clubs at night there's no end of nice places to chill and relax. The beaches are nice, there're plenty of waterfront restaurants and bars, and obviously a good hotel will have a nice pool.

Do you not like bars/clubs at home? Because really the counterparts in Magaluf are similar to clubs here; it's Ibiza where the huge ones are.

Suppose you could get a girlfriend and go on a holiday with her if you're after something quieter.

ReputationRep:
    lest he not like the guy who wanted to sample wine lmao he thought he'd have tsr's support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You sound great! I completely agree. Magaluf does attract certain types of people... If you don't want to go, don't go. Yeah, it might be annoying for a while when they go on about the 'crazy' time they had but it's better than being miles away from home in a place that you hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan W)
    There's no reason you can't enjoy the holiday if you really feel compelled to join your friends. While the media makes places like Magaluf look like a small town's nightlife, the reality is it's a pretty decent place. It is in Majorca after all, which is a fairly beautiful country.

If you have friends who're interesting in doing more than just drinking all day and hitting the clubs at night there's no end of nice places to chill and relax. The beaches are nice, there're plenty of waterfront restaurants and bars, and obviously a good hotel will have a nice pool.

Do you not like bars/clubs at home? Because really the counterparts in Magaluf are similar to clubs here; it's Ibiza where the huge ones are.

Suppose you could get a girlfriend and go on a holiday with her if you're after something quieter.

Majorca is not a country. :nothing:
    It's an island belonging to Spain.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay. I thought it was a bit of an Ireland type deal.

It's a beautiful island, then.

ReputationRep:
    Ibiza is the only good place out of all these types of club 18-30 destinations for the music and the crowd. Magaluf is ****, Zante is ****, Majorca is ****.

ReputationRep:
    Sod all wrong about not wanting to go on a mongol holiday like that really.

You should perhaps try and persuade them to go to a festival, try and get a Glastonbury ticket in the resale in April. Something for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I did Ibiza by myself a couple of years ago- managed to escape from San Antonio by car, found a couple of quiet beaches, and as it was September, much less full on than August would be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.