Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I know this may seem like an odd question and my only excuse for asking is that I've never really paid much attention to the British monarchy...but... Why is Prince Charles the Prince of Wales?

I just noticed, whilst watching the Rugby Six Nations match between England and Wales, that Prince William applauded and celebrated (clearly supporting) Wales, whilst Prince Harry did the same for England.

How does the ancestry of the Royal Family work? Or, was it just decided Prince Charles would be the Prince of Wales?

Please excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    They have to try and include the satellites lest they feel left out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    They have to try and include the satellites lest they feel left out.
    So, Prince Charles and William are Princes of Wales? Is Harry carrying the Welsh title too?

What about Scotland/Ireland?

ReputationRep:
    Wales was traditionally the largest sub-denomination of the Kingdom of England [which included Wales after it's conquest] pre-Union, and thus a tradition evolved of giving feudal control over the principality to the person destined to be King/Queen.

It's not a spontaneous thing - Wills will become Prince of Wales when Charles becomes King, Harry will become Prince of Wales if Wills becomes King. The first heir to the throne always inherits it.

Other positions have attached titles, as well, but most other Dukedoms, Earldoms, etc. just get passed around and re-created as seen fit.

ReputationRep:
    ****'s sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    ****'s sake
    Thanks...

I've never heard of Google, what a 'revolution'.

Sorry for merely asking the opinion of intelligent people after struggling to find a clear answer online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Wales was traditionally the largest sub-denomination of the Kingdom of England [which included Wales after it's conquest] pre-Union, and thus a tradition evolved of giving feudal control over the principality to the person destined to be King/Queen.

It's not a spontaneous thing - Wills will become Prince of Wales when Charles becomes King, Harry will become Prince of Wales if Wills becomes King. The first heir to the throne always inherits it.

Other positions have attached titles, as well, but most other Dukedoms, Earldoms, etc. just get passed around and re-created as seen fit.
    Thankyou! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Thanks...

I've never heard of Google, what a 'revolution'.

Sorry for merely asking the opinion of intelligent people after struggling to find a clear answer online.
    If you'd have been bothered to read the Wikipedia article (second result on my link), then you'd have seen a very clear explanation, actually.

ReputationRep:
    If you'd have been bothered to read the Wikipedia article (second result on my link), then you'd have seen a very clear explanation, actually.
    Wikipedia lies.

ReputationRep:
    I love how you assumed because two of them support the Welsh Rugby team they are Princes of Wales and if you support the England team you are the English Prince.

Lol!

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia lies.
    Wikipedia is occasionally wrong because it can be edited by random people on the internet. Thus you decided, instead, to ask some random people on the internet. Fan-*******-tastic logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    I love how you assumed because two of them support the Welsh Rugby team they are Princes of Wales and if you support the England team you are the English Prince.

Lol!
    That's exactly my logic!!!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia is occasionally wrong because it can be edited by random people on the internet. Thus you decided, instead, to ask some random people on the internet. Fan-*******-tastic logic.
    :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly my logic!!!! :yep:
    Harry has just become the vice patron of the RFU, William already was the vice patron of the WRU. It probably wouldn't have gone down well for him to be cheering on England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)

Lol!
    Well I suppose the royal family are British really. Surely they're as much Scottish and Welsh as they are English.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really read any of this thread but, in the same way that Cornwall is, Wales is totally a part of England. Scotland and Ireland should be but they ***** too much.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.