Turn on thread page Beta

Anon for work-related reasons.

Right, so I've just endured a pretty devastating period at work. It's gone badly, but not to a destructive point - yet.

I've basically been given an ultimatum: sort yourself out or you're gone. And this is not a job I'm even remotely considering giving up.

Now, there are some reasons why I've had a bad period, but the biggest among them is a sudden and total lack of confidence. I don't really know why, but it vanished and affected every aspect of my working life.

Essentially, what I'm asking is how do I get it back?

ReputationRep:
    You say you had a sudden lack of confidence? Which aspect of the bad period do you think caused it (feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it here)?

Either way there are two things that I hate to suggest, but they do work - the first being your appearance, the saying goes "if you look good, you feel good", and it couldn't be more true. Part of my major confidence issues when I was younger was due to that, I cared way too much about what other people thought of me - I still do - but I found that dressing well, getting a haircut, simple stuff like that, anything to make you look different (I say different instead of better because a change look-wise into something you're more comfortable with could be the answer here).

Another way is just to act confident, I know I do this on a day to day basis, walk into a room like you've got a purpose, project your voice, again simple things like that. Even if you don't feel confident when you're doing it, you will over time, and people will treat you as such as soon as they see the change.

It was kinda the other way around: lack of confidence caused the bad period.

Changing my appearance won't work: I'm in a work environment with a very strict uniform policy, so there's no deviation.

Fake it till ya make it. Seems to be the winner.

ReputationRep:
    Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpc-t-Uwv1I

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.