Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling with English Coursework watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have my GCSE english exams this year, and this month is the last month for which i can hand in any improved english coursework. However, i put alot of effort into doing my coursework but can only achieve a high B/ borderline A.
    But my english teacher said that she is very harsh with her marking, so maybe my coursework marks could go up after moderation?

I was wondering if i still could an A/A* overall in english? Has anyone here got Bs in coursework but got an A overall for english? And why is it sooo difficult to get an A/A* in english coursework and the exam. History is meant to be the hardest GCSE to get, but i seem to be doing really well in History and got full marks on coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Moderation could make your marks go up if she really is harsh.

You could still get an A/A* in English, I can't remember how much of the GCSE is coursework, it depends on your exam board and syllabus, but it's usually around 20%. So yeah you could still get an A or A* with a B in coursework, it just means you need to put a little more effort into your exam, which you would need to do any way, seeing as it's around 80% of the GCSE.

But I'd suggest seeing your teacher after school and sitting down to talk through what you need to do with your coursework to get it into the A/A* boundary comfortably. It's easy for me to say though because at my school the teachers are quite friendly and approachable, but I know in some schools teachers like to keep the student/teacher divide a divide.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Edge J
    I have tried speaking to my english teacher, but i think she must mark way too harshly. She just said try using different views or work on explanation; not very helpfull. But another teacher who looked at my coursework said it was an A stroke A*. Also the english teachers only really help and focus on students who are struggling to get C grades in my school, as the school i go to isnt very good. I think the past rate is about 40%.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.