Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?

ReputationRep:
    nah
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't really think there's a correlation between going to a university outside the top 20 and getting less than BBB at A-level. So it depends what question you're asking out of the two-
    1. Is it worth going to a university outside of the top 20?
    2. Is it worth going to a university if you've achieved less than BBB at A-level?

In both cases, I'd say 'yes' if you've chosen a course ideal for you that will help you in your future career, and it's obvious that going to a university outside the top 20 has a point otherwise no-one would attend them. People who go to universities outside the top 20 can go onto very good careers because of their degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?
    I disagree.

Clearly by your signature you like to show off how academically intelligent you are. Bravo.

Don't assume, however, that a few letters on a piece of paper will signal a fantastic life and super degree. It takes more than grades and percentages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    I don't really think there's a correlation between going to a university outside the top 20 and getting less than BBB at A-level. So it depends what question you're asking out of the two-
    1. Is it worth going to a university outside of the top 20?
    2. Is it worth going to a university if you've achieved less than BBB at A-level?

In both cases, I'd say 'yes' if you've chosen a course ideal for you that will help you in your future career, and it's obvious that going to a university outside the top 20 has a point otherwise no-one would attend them. People who go to universities outside the top 20 can go onto very good careers because of their degree.
    I agree with this completely. :yep:

A-Level grades don't always indicate university performance, or university choice.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want to do though. :/

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. It's highly contingent upon the degree in which you wish to study. Law, for example, is a very competitive degree, so It's vital to go to a fairly prestigious university if you wish to excel in the profession . That said, having a degree, regardless of which University, will provide you with stronger career prospects than someone that only has 'A' levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    I disagree.

Clearly by your signature you like to show off how academically intelligent you are. Bravo.

Don't assume, however, that a few letters on a piece of paper will signal a fantastic life and super degree. It takes more than grades and percentages.
    It's a student website, people are interested in my grades since I have offers from those Unis. I'm assuming you go to an ex-poly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    of course the best the uni, the better the job prospectus, in theory. but nevertheless, it's better to go to a uni than not to go to one at all...see what i'm saying?!

ReputationRep:
    It's a student website, people are interested in my grades since I have offers from those Unis. I'm assuming you go to an ex-poly :rolleyes:
    No, actually.

A well established, Russel Group, Top 10 Redbrick...

But I suppose because I don't show my grades off I must be stupid, right?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

I agree!

But then again, i'm onlypredicted ABC...best get my Asda application sorted then or better yet, join the dole queue. :rolleyes:

If that 'top 20' crap was true, the country would be screwed as there wouldn't be enough people to be doctors, teachers etc.

ReputationRep:
    No, actually.

A well established, Ruseel Group, Top 10 Redbrick...

But I suppose because I don't show my grades off I must be stupid, right?
    To be honest, the Redbrick Universities aren't even that impressive.. The best out of them is Manchester/Birmingham - and even then, unless you're doing a real degree, it isn't that prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    indeed, because 50% of human beings really are capable of "studying" at a university.

(Original post by tinkx91)
    I agree!

But then again, i'm onlypredicted ABC...best get my Asda application sorted then or better yet, join the dole queue. :rolleyes:

If that 'top 20' crap was true, the country would be screwed as there wouldn't be enough people to be doctors, teachers etc.
    not like the country isn't screwed with the majority of students more interested in going to uni to be drunk 24/7 rather than actually wanting to learn.

create job schools so people actually learn important skills rather than supposedly "study" - why does someone who wants to be a nurse or actor need a BSc/BA? This is already reflected anyway with many people not respecting such degees. It would be far better, look at other countries, e.g. Germany where job schools are much much more wide spread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkx91)
    I agree!

Medicine requires AAA/AAB

Those who do graduate medicine are an exception as they have usually done really well in their undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    Surely a degree is a degree - even though them at a "better" uni may proceed into a better job, people at other unis still have opportunities to go into very good jobs.

A degree is better than just A levels or GCSE's anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the Redbrick Universities aren't even that impressive.. The best out of them is Manchester/Birmingham - and even then, unless you're doing a real degree, it isn't that prestigious.
    Troll fail :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so bothered about prestige?! It counts for sweet FA in the real world.

People with Masters, PhD's and Doctorates are struggling to find employment nowadays. It's far less about the degree or University and more reliant on the person/experience/relevance in finding work.

The degree someone chooses to study is their own decision, whether or not YOU (oh, wise one) consider it a "real degree" is a matter of opinion which I am heartily disagreeing with.

You run along to your "prestigious" University with your amazing A-Levels and have fun realising grades and an attitude like yours will not get you very far in the real world.

Disrespect myself and others all you wish, if it makes you feel better, but I'm wise enough to wish you all the best in the future and all the luck in the world because, frankly, you sound like you'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol gives BBB-BCC offers for Russian. The uni is in the top 20 and you don't need more than BBB to get in for that course. And I would say Russian is far from being a doss subject so as said above, achieving less than BBB doesn't mean you shouldn't go to uni. It's all down to your subject. I also do believe that students should be given a chance to demonstrate their academic abilities in another way than just showing off with schools grades. Uni may be harder but if you have a real passion for your subject you'll do hundreds of times better than at school.

ReputationRep:
    Why would Cambridge give you an offer of AAA and UCL give you a offer of A*AA?

ReputationRep:
    The statement is flawed, in that it is impossible to define the top 20, they change between tables, and between years. Of course there is a heirachy, with some universities being better than others, but to arbitrarily draw the line at the top 20 seems somewhat ridiculous.
    I have never attended a university outside the top 10, or top five, depending on what table you look at, but I wouldn't presume to judge the universities ranked lower, as not worth going to, merely because they are not thought to be as good by people who create the tables. Ranking systems have their worth, and their accuracy is probably reasonable, but the precision is bound not to be brilliant because the people making the tables cannot attend, and have sufficient experience of being educated in all these establisments to be able to give a definitive and completely reliable ranking, that says that number 20 is worth going to, and number 21 isn't.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.