Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkx91)
    I agree!

But then again, i'm onlypredicted ABC...best get my Asda application sorted then or better yet, join the dole queue. :rolleyes:

If that 'top 20' crap was true, the country would be screwed as there wouldn't be enough people to be doctors, teachers etc.
    Haha! I think the boot will be on the other foot, don't you worry!

It really makes me chuckle, the incessant naivety and misinterpretation of what University actually is.

You keep doing what you're doing, love :yep: You should be proud of yourself, not only for having great grade predictions but for having a level head!

:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree completly, a degree isnt always about what it will lead to but something that you enjoy studying and have a passion for.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No.

Even then BBB would surely take you down to like the top 60 or so not the top 20.

Saying it's pointless ignores the intrinsic value of a degree in terms of personal growth. For many people it is the medium through which they ease themselves into independance and, essentially, adulthood.

If your concerns extend only as far as money and such then the point in going to uni does decrease as you go down the tables yes.

All depends on what any given individual wishes to gain from the experience, it's all relative.

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Why are you so bothered about prestige?! It counts for sweet FA in the real world.

People with Masters, PhD's and Doctorates are struggling to find employment nowadays. It's far less about the degree or University and more reliant on the person/experience/relevance in finding work.

The degree someone chooses to study is their own decision, whether or not YOU (oh, wise one) consider it a "real degree" is a matter of opinion which I am heartily disagreeing with.

You run along to your "prestigious" University with your amazing A-Levels and have fun realising grades and an attitude like yours will not get you very far in the real world.

Disrespect myself and others all you wish, if it makes you feel better, but I'm wise enough to wish you all the best in the future and all the luck in the world because, frankly, you sound like you'll need it!
    Lol, you know nothing about me ;\ My C.V is booming and I have no problem communicating with others, otherwise I would not have the extracurriculars I have. I doubt I will have trouble finding a job, considering I could drop University and go straight into a impressive role in a bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ('',))
    UCL give you a offer of A*AA?
    Because it's their standard offer for that subject, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?
    thats just moronic.

I dont think anything else needs to be added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Troll fail :yawn:
    not really.

in his line of work (economics - see signature) it really really matters where you went to uni. already at warwick (imo a great uni) the job finding rate is 10% less than at LSE. and warwick is top 5.

now imagine a uni outside top 10 or even outside top 20. how much lower will it be - 20,30%? so hence less prestigious is right.

ok he said redbricks and i dont know who they all include and where they rank, but the pattern is the same.

ReputationRep:
    I got BCC at A-Level and I'm on well over a 1st in a "Top 20 University"; over 90% on most courseworks, and 100% in plenty. I've also secured a job for a couple of Summers, where friends at "higher ranked universities" have not been successful in getting the same job. It means a bit, sure, but not very much.

Now, I may well have bad A-Level grades, and I might not be in a Top 10 CompSci University, but you're very narrow-minded if you think that degree institution and classification are the only two important factors in somebody's university and life choices.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you know nothing about me ;\ My C.V is booming and I have no problem communicating with others, otherwise I would not have the extracurriculars I have. I doubt I will have trouble finding a job, considering I could drop University and go straight into a impressive role in a bank.
    so you're daddy is a hot shot banker?

ReputationRep:
    It's not pointless if you gain something from it - whether that be economical or personal. Which top 20 anyway? It's massively subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Because it's their standard offer for that subject, maybe?
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ics/index.html

Typical A level offer A*AA
    He's a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    No.

Even then BBB would surely take you down to like the top 60 or so not the top 20.

Saying it's pointless ignores the intrinsic value of a degree in terms of personal growth. For many people it is the medium through which they ease themselves into independance and, essentially, adulthood.

If your concerns extend only as far as money and such then the point in going to uni does decrease as you go down the tables yes.

All depends on what any given individual wishes to gain from the experience, it's all relative.

<3

Not really. Some languages like Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Persian can have requirements of between ABB and BCC (Bristol and Manchester offer BCC in Russian, and they definitely are in the top 20). Don't even pretend to say those are doss degrees, it just won't work :nah:.

ReputationRep:
    A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?
    So what you're saying is someone with the calibre of holdiong a Ph.D from a top 30 university is pointless, you're saying they shouldn't even bother to meet their true potential, and instead do something way below their league for a living like manual work or being a store manager
    (You can't generally do too much better than that with just A levels).

But yeah someone with BBC, BCC or CCC can't be a uni graduate...

says a lot about your social knowledge... Maybe you're smarter than this thread makes you look, but till I see otherwise, in my opinion you're a vain, elitist, SNOB

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you know nothing about me ;\ My C.V is booming and I have no problem communicating with others, otherwise I would not have the extracurriculars I have.
    You sound like a grade A pr**k, no doubt you went to private school with attitude like you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ics/index.html

He's a troll.
    ... That's their Typical offer, people have offers for Medicine that are AAB. Just gtfo.

ReputationRep:
    lol'd @ OP's sig

ReputationRep:
    not really.

Some courses are largely based OUTSIDE of the top 20 and lead to a secure chance of a job -points to sig-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I got BCC at A-Level and I'm on well over a 1st in a "Top 20 University"; over 90% on most courseworks, and 100% in plenty. I've also secured a job for a couple of Summers, where friends at "higher ranked universities" have not been successful in getting the same job. It means a bit, sure, but not very much.

Now, I may well have bad A-Level grades, and I might not be in a Top 10 CompSci University, but you're very narrow-minded if you think that degree institution and classification are the only two important factors in somebody's university and life choices.
    It says a lot about Nottingham's Computer Science department. I regret applying there to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and No.

People who do not have at least BBB will make up reasons why it's not true and that you can do well wherever you go blah blah blah. I agree with them to a certain extent BUT I need to ask them:

Where do you want to work? Do you realise that many companies that recruit for grad jobs will ask you for AT LEAST 300/320/340 UCAS points before they consider the rest of your application? If you don't have that, they won't even look at it. It's a pre-requisite for anything else.

So yes, you can get a first from any university, yet employers are not stupid and they realise that Economics at Cambridge is different from Economics at London Met. The competition for jobs at the moment is so fierce I just cannot find the right words to express HOW competitive it is out there. They do ask which university you went to and they do discriminate (although I AM NOT saying that they will never ever take anyone from outside of Russell Group or the like); they are quite open about it too - a guy from L'oreal who did a presentation at King's (where I go) did tell us that we already have an advantage because of the name.

Now, I do realise King's isn't the best of all places to be and I am sure employers will discriminate against me when looking at my file and someone from Oxbridge or whatever - so it's up for you what you make out of your time at college (if you still have that time left) in order to make the best out of life opportunities.

Many people treat university as a fresh start - yes, ok, it CAN be a fresh start, but those A levels WILL count when you're applying for jobs. Just like sixth form - although you think your GCSE days are behind you, many universities will make offers based on those (not solely perhaps, but could be a very clear cut off point for some).

ReputationRep:
    It's a student website, people are interested in my grades since I have offers from those Unis.
    I think 90% of the people on here don't give a flying **** what your grades are - excuse my french. But if you found many people asking for your grades good for you mate Don't feel offended!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.