Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"University outside the top 20 is pointless" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    You will have to ask my friend that, I'd argue top 10 but he's at a top 15 ;\
    What makes Durham, Warwick or Bristol more deserving than Manchester, Glasgow or Leeds?

Which league table are you looking it (considering there are minor changes between them, some significant changes when looking at international tables)?

There are universities outside the "top ten", even "top twenty" who ask for grades higher than BBB with AAA-AAB offers quite common and departments who can rival, or even outdo, those at "top tens"?

ReputationRep:
    A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?
    LSE is not in the top 20...I would prefer to go there rather than Oxbridge for job prospects (if you want a real job and not just a paper pusher at whitehall). League tables mean very little.

ReputationRep:
    if you go to a better uni, you'll make more money in the first few years

but face it, after 10-15 years of full time work, prospective employers will no longer give a **** about your degree, and more about what you achieved when in the last 15 years of work

you think a 40 year old lawyer is gonna be prevented from a job coz it wasn't in the top 20?

woteva

you forget, experiance counts for allot. I'd rather employ someone who has had vast experiance of working and making money (and has made money) for a law firm. then someone from a better uni with no experiance at all,,,,,

next your going to say there's no point in doing a degree unless you get a 1st....

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the Redbrick Universities aren't even that impressive.. The best out of them is Manchester/Birmingham - and even then, unless you're doing a real degree, it isn't that prestigious.
    Gosh it's cringeworthy how rude you are to people. Go learn some social skills. Seriously, people like you on this forum make me feel slightly nauseous. I mean, going into that much detail about you qualifications? LAME.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.