Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    An electron confined by a potential barrier may surmount it by thermal excitation instead of tunnelling through it. Which process is the more likely if the barrier is 0.5 eV high and 2 nm thick and the ambient temperature is 300 K?

Dont really know how to do this one
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have an approximate expression in your notes for the tunnelling amplitude

And thermally means that you'll need to use a boltzmann-type expression

so compare them, you might need to think about normalisation but i'll let you think about that (or answer it when i get back)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    You'll have an approximate expression in your notes for the tunnelling amplitude

And thermally means that you'll need to use a boltzmann-type expression

so compare them, you might need to think about normalisation but i'll let you think about that (or answer it when i get back)

I have no clue what kind of Boltzmann expression I'm meant to be using lol...The only resemblance is they both contain exp(-stuff)...not sure how this would help though

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_factor

And it needs to have enough energy, Ei, to escape over the barrier, which is going to be the charge times the voltage height of the barrier

when you have expressions you basically have the probability of it occuring like that so whichever one is largest is the most likely

ReputationRep:
    dang it, seems so obvious now, ty

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.