Turn on thread page Beta

Hey all,

Right I am writing this on behalf of my Dad. He came back from the Caribbean yesterday - he purchased 4 bottles of rum from duty free and he had another 1 in his suitcase. Now over the years we as a family have travelled to and from the Caribbean we have never had a problem with bringing alcohol back. He went through the 'green' line as nothing to declare because he genuinely didn't think he did, but was stopped by a customs officer who asked if he had purchased alcohol and tobacco, he said yes. The officer opened the duty free box = found 4 bottles. And then he asked him to open his suitcase. He found food to which the officer didn't bother with. He was about to finish diggin up the suitcase and then he found the other bottle of rum. He started to ramble on ''you have too much alcohol and bla bla bla'' and he had to seize the lot. He was going to give my dad back 1 bottle but his ''mate'' said nope all goods must go.

Now . . we as a family have discussed it and are wondering whether or not there is any chance he can possibly get it back? or is there no chance?? . . .

I am just after mature replies, opinions on the matter - thank you!

PS: Best advice/post gets rep.

ReputationRep:
    i am sure it is illegal to take all of it.

especially since it seems 4 would have been fine.

i can tell you that i know in germany you have to pay the tax back plus a fine if you didn declare. but condiscate they cant.

i assume it wont be too different here in england.

ps i think the customs officers took the rum home themselves.

ReputationRep:
    What is the limit on how much you can have before you declare it? (I dont know alot on airports)

ReputationRep:
    5 bottles of rum is certainly over the limit and as he has walked through the green line it can technically be considered smuggling which is why they will confiscate all of it. Same thing happened to my mate when we both came back from Bahrain - he had 1000 **** and they were all taken. I was stopped but luckily had a lad of a customs officer who gave me a cheeky wink and told me not to do it again.

(Original post by danny111)
    That is what we reckon as well . . after all they were still sealed. £36 down the drain! . . . .

(Original post by ADavis1)
    What is the limit on how much you can have before you declare it? (I dont know alot on airports)
    We (family and I) don't know! . . .:dontknow:. We have told other members of the family and they don't know either! :/ They (custom officers) would have probably **** themselves when my mum came through with 21 bottles back in 1998!! . . lol :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

Doubt it, when my dad got his absinthe confiscated, they chucked it into a green bin full of bottles of booze. Smashed. What a waste.

(Original post by DannyBoy123)
    5 bottles of rum is certainly over the limit and as he has walked through the green line it can technically be considered smuggling which is why they will confiscate all of it. Same thing happened to my mate when we both came back from Bahrain - he had 1000 **** and they were all taken. I was stopped but luckily had a lad of a customs officer who gave me a cheeky wink and told me not to do it again.
    So if he declared it, do you think he could have probably kept the lot??

I'm just curious to find out all this info, before it happens to someone else in the family.

(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Doubt it, when my dad got his absinthe confiscated, they chucked it into a green bin full of bottles of booze. Smashed. What a waste.
    Aww man . . my dad said to the customs officer ''what are you going to do with it?'' The man said ''bin it!'' . . . . .total waste definately.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what volume the rum was. Either way, the limit is either 1 or 2 Litres even bearing this in mind.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...CE_PROD_010220

I'm not sure there's too much you can really do to be fair, but given that you say you've gotten away with 21 bottles in one journey in the past, I think you've had yourfair share already, so you shouldn't be too bothered lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Usually it's one bottle of spirits per person you're allowed to import to the EEA.

No idea what the exact proceedings in the UK are, but it sounds possible that in case of import tax evasion all is taken. The UK is more restrictive than Germany (and other larger European countries) and I'd prefer this personally.
    However, I'm sure it's relatively easy to find the information about what actually happens in this case. In case there's no follow-up on this including a fine or whatever, the customs officer(s) probably really took it for themselves. So the bottles are either stored somewhere as evidence, empty, or have been destroyed already.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    Depends what volume the rum was. Either way, the limit is either 1 or 2 Litres even bearing this in mind.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...CE_PROD_010220

I'm not sure there's too much you can really do to be fair, but given that you say you've gotten away with 21 bottles in one journey in the past, I think you've had yourfair share already, so you shouldn't be too bothered lol :p:
    Wray and Nephew = 63% is the alcohol percentage. . .

Tbh my dad isn't too bothered as he can't drink as much as one time (he was diagnosed diabetic just before new year). But its the money that he's lost which is the annoying thing.

21 bottles my mum brought that back in 1998 which she scattered amongst 6 suitcases . . . we didn't even get sniffed at . . lol But its just something we have done every trip to the Caribbean because we've never had a run in with Customs. Even when I went for my 21st I purchased some @ duty free, but also had some stuffed in my suitcase - they didn't bat an eyelid lol. Tbh I think my dad was just unlucky and his big haulage of white rum will have to be cut down significantly the next time he goes . . :tongue:.

(Original post by grt)
    Usually it's one bottle of spirits per person you're allowed to import to the EEA.

No idea what the exact proceedings in the UK are, but it sounds possible that in case of import tax evasion all is taken. The UK is more restrictive than Germany (and other larger European countries) and I'd prefer this personally.
    However, I'm sure it's relatively easy to find the information about what actually happens in this case. In case there's no follow-up on this including a fine or whatever, the customs officer(s) probably really took it for themselves. So the bottles are either stored somewhere as evidence, empty, or have been destroyed already.
    Yea that is the thing - nobody knows anything in regards to such matters and its slightly annoying - kinda feels like you're kept in the dark and then suddenly stung in the arse!! :/

My dad asked if there will be a fine, they said nope. He even offered to pay duty (although he had paid it from the country he left) and they said nope! :/ He just got given some paper work and sent on his way! :/ . . I personally reckon the bottles have been taken by the custom officers . . .bullocks about them being ''binned''!! . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yea that is the thing - nobody knows anything in regards to such matters and its slightly annoying - kinda feels like you're kept in the dark and then suddenly stung in the arse!! :/
    You are not kept in the dark! All the information is freely available on the internet and I'm sure it must exist in leaflet form somewhere. its not customs/the government's fault if your dad didn't bother checking the limits. Just be glad they didn't give him a fine as well.

(Original post by gm15)
    You are not kept in the dark! All the information is freely available on the internet and I'm sure it must exist in leaflet form somewhere. its not customs/the government's fault if your dad didn't bother checking the limits. Just be glad they didn't give him a fine as well.
    What I meant by ''kept in the dark'' is its not in your face to see, ie in the duty free places, like notice boards - ''just a reminder that your limit for UK . . .bla bla bla'' - that sorta thing is what I meant. My dad isn't internet savvy and therefore doesn't use computers. Tbh we've got away with for yearsss and we're not the only people to do it. I'm not at all saying he should get the booze back, its gone completely, - I just want to understand it all so I can let him and the family know for future reference.

PS: The leaflet they give is crap! He got it yesterday and it does not mention limit - it just brags about who they are, what they do, how long they have been established and crap like that!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    What I meant by ''kept in the dark'' is its not in your face to see, ie in the duty free places, like notice boards - ''just a reminder that your limit for UK . . .bla bla bla'' - that sorta thing is what I meant. My dad isn't internet savvy and therefore doesn't use computers. Tbh we've got away with for yearsss and we're not the only people to do it. I'm not at all saying he should get the booze back, its gone completely, - I just want to understand it all so I can let him and the family know for future reference.

PS: The leaflet they give is crap! He got it yesterday and it does not mention limit - it just brags about who they are, what they do, how long they have been established and crap like that!!!
    Presumably you have looked at the HMRC and now have the facts and figures for next time?

Its sounds like he got done for not declaring and was possibly over the limit - did they not give him a receipt explaining the seizure?

ReputationRep:
    It's usually displayed at the baggage carousel when you're coming back in, but obviously it's too late to do much about it by then (unless of course you then declare it when you may not have otherwise done).

ReputationRep:
    Let's not mince our words here, your father was committing a criminal offence by smuggling untaxed goods into the country. Count yourself lucky he's not going to end up in court.

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit like those threads complaining about getting a parking ticket for parking no double yellows.

If your dad was over the limit, there is no reason to be "annoyed" for having his good confiscated. And no, they didn't take the drinks to the backroom and have a party.

(Original post by Angelil)
    It's usually displayed at the baggage carousel when you're coming back in, but obviously it's too late to do much about it by then (unless of course you then declare it when you may not have otherwise done).
    Ahhh thank you - but that's daft lol because you've already reached your arrival destination . . that sort of notice should at least be in the duty free shops - enough to prick the conscience of the person before they buy . . .:dontknow:.

(Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Presumably you have looked at the HMRC and now have the facts and figures for next time?

Its sounds like he got done for not declaring and was possibly over the limit - did they not give him a receipt explaining the seizure?
    Yea bro and I have been on and off it looking it up and etc.

Yea I reckon if he declared it, he prob. would have been asked to pay extra duty (even tho he paid it in Jamaica) and been able to keep the 3 bottles over. But he was given a seizure notice and the poxy booklet which ''bigs'' themselves up . . tells you bugger all about the limit! :/

(Original post by HJV)
    This is a bit like those threads complaining about getting a parking ticket for parking no double yellows.

If your dad was over the limit, there is no reason to be "annoyed" for having his good confiscated. And no, they didn't take the drinks to the backroom and have a party.
    He didn't even suspect he was over the limit. Like I have previously said since I was a child we've always brought back no less than 4 bottles of rum, the biggest amount my mum came back with was 21 bottles, and not one smashed (which I thought was pretty good :tongue: lol). I never said they (custom officers ) took them to ''party with'', im speculating . . . but like someone else mentioned they bin them! . . .

(Original post by L i b)
    Let's not mince our words here, your father was committing a criminal offence by smuggling untaxed goods into the country. Count yourself lucky he's not going to end up in court.
    Court appearance happens if you are caught for a 3rd time! Its on the seizure notice!

Ahh I forgot to mention - my dad also came back with food . . .custom officer didn't even bat an eyelid! Aren't they suppose to dispose, confiscate food as well?? . . .lol

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.