Turn on thread page Beta

How deep is this squat?? watch

ReputationRep:
    ATG. This is weak.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, Tate squats suited and he's already hella strong. 900lbs will force almost anyone below parallel. You can squat wide, so long as you're able to hit depth. Try with a just-outside-shoulder-width stance, and keep your knees tracking your toes with your toes at about 30 degrees out. It's all well and good saying it here, I'd have to see tbh.

I usually train at lunch time, but only if I can't get in earlier. You probably wake up at 8:55 so 10:00 and you're still sleeping. I'm already on my train into London by 7:15.

I'll be in for lunch tomorrow. Oh and one tip; if you get to Ethos and there's a long queue for the gym, tell them you're going swimming. They'll let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    The other rack is a bit **** as well, I don't trust the supports... I swear some people fail and the rack just derails and the guy is left ******. The other rack is a bit [email protected] too.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty much what I do, the stance is purposely wide, and the foot angle and knee tracking is all on target (actually I will force my knees out more next time!)

This is the last rep of 5 at 140kg taken last week

And nah I don't wake up till between 10 - 12 normally, I only have 6 lectures a week and i skip half of them , wow your insane, what time do you wake up?? ur sleep must be pretty ****** up lol, And I use that ethos trick all the time... I didn't INDUCT untill summer last year... kept telling them I was swimming :P

(Original post by SMed)
    Dude, Tate squats suited and he's already hella strong. 900lbs will force almost anyone below parallel. You can squat wide, so long as you're able to hit depth. Try with a just-outside-shoulder-width stance, and keep your knees tracking your toes with your toes at about 30 degrees out. It's all well and good saying it here, I'd have to see tbh.

I usually train at lunch time, but only if I can't get in earlier. You probably wake up at 8:55 so 10:00 and you're still sleeping. I'm already on my train into London by 7:15.

I'll be in for lunch tomorrow. Oh and one tip; if you get to Ethos and there's a long queue for the gym, tell them you're going swimming. They'll let you in.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    WTF sort of mickey mouse course are you on with only 6 lectures a week? (oh, physics) Medicine has about 20+ lectures a week, 2-5 tutorials and the odd practical. And they randomly spot check attendance for lectures/practicals where they laser swipe our cards ffs.

I'm up by 6:45 every. f***ing. day. It's what happens when you live and hour and half away. I can't remember the last time I've had over 6 hours sleep, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    that guy shouldnt be anywhere near a squat rack.
    far too much lower back involvement. what is he trying to do, a good morning? ffs
    lol, Never heard of a low bar squat? And what do you mean by "too much lower back"? Is that a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    first video i found on youtube simply for an example:

Body should be more upright like this guy. The guy in your video was bending over far too much which meant on the positive motion he was using his lower back too much to try and get upright. It's not only dangerous but means you've got less leg involvement and can't lift as much.
    Will I get as big and strong as this guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    first video i found on youtube simply for an example:

Body should be more upright like this guy. The guy in your video was bending over far too much which meant on the positive motion he was using his lower back too much to try and get upright. It's not only dangerous but means you've got less leg involvement and can't lift as much.
    Look, why don't you learn a bit more about squatting and the different variations. Then figure out the differences in mechanics between these variations and how they affect the lift, the muscles involved and how much weight can be shifted. The best way would be to try the different variations and see for your self. In fact, do a low bar squat with a vertical torso and see how that works for you... please video it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    because you found a photo of me a year ago at a super low weight this means i don't know proper squat technique?
    How much has your squat improved since then?

ReputationRep:
    smed post a pic of yourself up.

ReputationRep:
    this is halarious, y bother replying, its a waste of calories to type and think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    Serious question here: are you trying to say you condone that guys squatting technique?
    The first rep was alright, it went downhill from there.

I've added 20kg to my squat, although i'm training primarily for size not strength. So i'm upto about 85kg for 10 reps, at 52kg bodyweight.
    Smed was arguing your point when you said the bar should be higher up - where the bar is placed depends on the individual, and if they want to train the different variation - low / high, whatever

oh, and even if you are training for size, 85kg is still a bollucks squat if you've been training a while

ReputationRep:
    lol 85 front squat ATG paused is actually quite difficult... but yeah back squat... thats amateur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    How do you mean shove them out, like outside the toes? Atm I'm following the line over my toes (or trying). I will try this next time though on low weight and review. And I thought I knew a lot about squatting ¬¬, time to go back to the drawing board.
    Pffft, you hardly need to go back to the drawing board, as I said I have seen alot worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    chill out, do you expect a small guy to lift the same as a bigger guy? of course not.

I deadlift 130kg for 10 also, are you going to tell me this is nothing? Well you're right it is nothing. But it is 2.5x my bodyweight, which is whats taken into account. If i was taller and weighed a hell of a lot more then i'd obviously be lifting more.
    don't give me the 2.5 bodyweight crap, its a lot easier for someone who weighs 50kg to get 2.5 bodyweight than it is for someone who is 100kg to get 2.5 bodyweight

no, i'm not, but you're squat is still pretty poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    Serious question here: are you trying to say you condone that guys squatting technique?
    The first rep was alright, it went downhill from there.
    That's me in the video. And no, it wasn't perfect form, I know this. But a few points; I'm squatting low bar. I'm also trying to keep the barbell in a near vertical path over my centre of gravity; the middle of my foot. Sometimes, I go over my toes a little, and this is what usually causes me to struggle through. But this is not corrected by being more vertical, it's corrected by sitting back more. If I attempt to get my torso more vertical, my knees will slide too far forward over my toes, and this is a bad thing (very hard on the hips, I know because I had to correct my hips from sliding forward and was getting tendinitis in my hips).

Also note, that my back does not round at any point during the lift. It never does. Also notice that for the most part, my back angle stays pretty constant throughout the lift until I lock out at the top. In other words, I didn't lock my legs out whilst still bent over and it is not a good morning. To squat this way requires significant contribution from the abdominals and lower back to keep the back angle constant and not rounding over. A high bar squat, which keeps the back angle vertical, doesn't utilise the muscles of the trunk in quite the same way.

Using a low bar squat allows you to use MORE musculature, not less. You can squat more weight low bar than you can high bar, in almost every case.

Here's a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    thanks i guess.
    what do you weigh and what do you squat?
    he's saying your amateur, not that its a good squat - he said it would be good if it was front, ass to grass, and paused - making it 10x harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    WTF sort of mickey mouse course are you on with only 6 lectures a week? (oh, physics) Medicine has about 20+ lectures a week, 2-5 tutorials and the odd practical. And they randomly spot check attendance for lectures/practicals where they laser swipe our cards ffs.

I'm up by 6:45 every. f***ing. day. It's what happens when you live and hour and half away. I can't remember the last time I've had over 6 hours sleep, lol.
    Dr SMed, who knew :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    THanks, I meant rather in philosophy... I did learn a **** load about squatting... just don't know what I'm training for anymore, I hate doing most sports, gym is just like meditation, and its cool to be strong I guess.

Like whats the point of being able to back squat 180kg PL style to parallel, when it doesn't have *that* much carry over to a big DL/Clean. Like I find deadlifting 150kg for 5 difficult... so my squat carry over is ********.

So I'm stuck between deciding training for PL, oly lifting or general athleticism. But its my aim to get to 4 plates after this bill star cycle and I'll go to KCL gym because they have a mirror there.

(Original post by Bishamon)
    Pffft, you hardly need to go back to the drawing board, as I said I have seen alot worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    or is it just that you can't lift a lot and use the excuse that it's 'easier for me'
    I'm not bothered by my comparisons to other people, its about me beating personal bests, and being the best I can be - and in that respect, I'm quite happy with my progress

In my experience, lighter lifters hit their bodyweight multiples faster then the real heavy lifters

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.