Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    well obviously he's not a pedo otherwise it wouldnt be legal would it? - idiot

What's obvious is that you must be into little girls yourself. I'm not even near 35 and already I simply couldn't dream of going out with a 16 year old - it's sick! So while the law may not consider him to be a pedo - I do! I'm allowed an opinion am I not!?

IDIOT :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrodite)
    What's obvious is that you must be into little girls yourself. I'm not even near 35 and already I simply couldn't dream of going out with a 16 year old - it's sick! So while the law may not consider him to be a pedo - I do! I'm allowed an opinion am I not!?

IDIOT :rolleyes:
    how the hell did you get that im into little girls from what i said - a very immature pathetic comment which just goes to show you are an idiot

your exact words (in overly large unesseary text) were Simply tell her: He is a pedo! - that is not opinion that is a statement of attempted fact. A fact that is wrong

dictionary.com defines it as

paedophile

noun
    an adult who is sexually attracted to children

get the key word - children, a 16 year old is not a child. Young yes - a child no

and of course the law is completely wrong and you are right. You the goddess of love (incidently you might want to look up the spelling of said deity unless of course you somehow think your being clever by spelling it wrong) must clearly know better than those put in place of making such laws.

btw im 28 so probably closer to 35 than you are and no i would not go out with a 16 year old. I think a 16 year old is far too immature for an adult of that age. But its his and her choice - if they are both consenting to the relationship then thats thier choice. I personally dont agree (if she was 2 years older i wouldnt ahve any issues whatsoever) with it but i wont condemn him for it and i certainly wouldnt call him a peadophile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    how the hell did you get that im into little girls from what i said - a very immature pathetic comment which just goes to show you are an idiot

your exact words (in overly large unesseary text) were Simply tell her: He is a pedo! - that is not opinion that is a statement of attempted fact. A fact that is wrong

dictionary.com defines it as

paedophile

noun
    an adult who is sexually attracted to children

get the key word - children, a 16 year old is not a child. Young yes - a child no

and of course the law is completely wrong and you are right. You the goddess of love (incidently you might want to look up the spelling of said deity unless of course you somehow think your being clever by spelling it wrong) must clearly know better than those put in place of making such laws.

btw im 28 so probably closer to 35 than you are and no i would not go out with a 16 year old. I think a 16 year old is far too immature for an adult of that age. But its his and her choice - if they are both consenting to the relationship then thats thier choice. I personally dont agree (if she was 2 years older i wouldnt ahve any issues whatsoever) with it but i wont condemn him for it and i certainly wouldnt call him a peadophile
    WOW, you wrote a book - how offended were you!?? & you negged me for that!!!!!! LOSER!!!!!!! I really couldn't care less, but that was pretty lame of you.
    Yes I'm being clever spelling my username this way - so what - at least I'm not so pathetic as to start hitting you back by commenting on your pedo-esque username or your typos & yes, in this case, I do know better than those who made those laws :p: as do many other people and other jurisdictions! But what is truly sad is that you are so immature singling me out (when most of the posts agree with what I said) when you're 28! So much older than I....Just accept your tragedy. Move on.

ReputationRep:
    Agh i ******* hate people who do that. Get someone your own age.

ReputationRep:
    he is a peado

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    he is a peado
    No he's not. She's sixteen, she's gone through puberty, she can have his babies, she's legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simsimsim)
    My boyfriend's sister seems to be involved with a 35 year old man.......
    Advice please?
    OP, If you know her reasonably well I suggest you have a friendly chat with her. Don't nag or tell her off, though because that'll just make her even more likely to want to defy you.

It's very easy to believe you're genuinely "in love" with somebody and tell yourself you surpass the cliches. I myself dated a 25 year old when I was 15, and although unacceptable to some, we did have a good relationship while it lasted.

I think the best best is to gently express your feelings. Without being mean to her.
    Main points are:
    1. If he can't get a woman his own age, what is wrong with him?/what is he doing with his life?/he must be very immature.
    2. Is the relationship worth the compromise of her parents and friends no longer trusting her? I experienced this. It's not worth it.

Have her parents said anything to her yet?

If she was over about 20ish I'd think it was fine, but 16? My cousin is 35 and if he decided to date somebody my age I'd ask him what the hell he was doing with his life.
    As for the "older man" phase..yeah..happens. I don't find guys my own age physically or psychologically attractive. Oddly enough they're still "kids" to me - I mostly date guys in their early 20's.

Sorry for the essay :p:

ReputationRep:
    OP does she have low self esteem? and is she a bit on the fugly side? These types of girls usually succomb to the advances of old pervs.

ReputationRep:
    Dey tuk er jerbs!...err, I mean...Deys tukin er gurrs!

Tell Mr wannabe-Pedo that you dont take kindly to his type and if he dont like it he can ge errrrrt.

ReputationRep:
    I see no problem with age gaps although in this case, the age of the youngest person could be concerning. I only speak based on how niave I was at 16.

On the other hand, if I knew a 16 year old girl in the situation you describe, the first person I woudl talk to is her directly because this will enable you to show your concern to her whilst finding out more about the guy she's with and her/his motivations. This might help you in removing a sense of the "fear of the unknown" regarding the relationship as well as helping you to assess whether it's something to be genuinely worried about or not.

But yeah, definately talk to her first because that's the best way to show her that you respect her intelligence and ability to make her own decisions. As a result, it may be easier to explain to her why you're so worried about the relationship as part of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ('',))
    No he's not. She's sixteen, she's gone through puberty, she can have his babies, she's legal.
    Even though it is legal, he may still be a pedophile. He probably likes younger girls, but he picked the 16 year old because she was legal.

The problem here isn't the fact that he is a pedo, but that they are at different stages of life with different friends. She is is still in high school, while he should establish a family. Is this old guy supposed to come to her parties? He could also be mentally unstable and she could ended up being raped.

I would feel bad dating a 16 year old, and I'm 20. A 35 year old dating a 16 year old is just disgusting. Tell her to GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say there are girls of sixteen who are a hell of a lot different to lads of that age,in terms of maturity so perhaps those lads don't interest them as much as a well set up man with a nice car and his own house without parents living there. Some of them also look a lot older than sixteen.

But having said that, a bloke of 25 okayish, but 35 is stretching that in my opinion. If I was like her brother or Dad I'd be very tempted to have a chat with him as not so much that he is a nonce (he might not be), I would be concerned about him taking advantage and messing her up mentally perhaps effecting her studies social life etcand tell him to forget her. Not being so I can see it with a cooler head. If you do that, it might well drive her to him so best thing is to always been around in case it all goes wrong and keep an eye on the relationship.Because if she shuts you out,if he is a baddie it will be more difficult to help her.

ReputationRep:
    meh leave her to it. but it doesn't get any worse than that, surely.

ReputationRep:
    You can say that they have physical relation as well.
    If she is with him without having relationship then no problem dnt worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Main points are:
    1. If he can't get a woman his own age, what is wrong with him?/what is he doing with his life?/he must be very immature.
    2. Is the relationship worth the compromise of her parents and friends no longer trusting her? I experienced this. It's not worth it.

Have her parents said anything to her yet?
    Apparently he lives at home with his mother.
    When I asked her on msn who she was in a relationship with, because her status had changed, she wouldn't tell me and said "secrets are fun".

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simsimsim)
    Apparently he lives at home with his mother.
    When I asked her on msn who she was in a relationship with, because her status had changed, she wouldn't tell me and said "secrets are fun".
    She sounds like she has all the emotional maturity of a five year old if she genuinely thinks this guy is "decent".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrodite)
    WOW, you wrote a book - how offended were you!?? & you negged me for that!!!!!! LOSER!!!!!!! I really couldn't care less, but that was pretty lame of you.
    Yes I'm being clever spelling my username this way - so what - at least I'm not so pathetic as to start hitting you back by commenting on your pedo-esque username or your typos & yes, in this case, I do know better than those who made those laws :p: as do many other people and other jurisdictions! But what is truly sad is that you are so immature singling me out (when most of the posts agree with what I said) when you're 28! So much older than I....Just accept your tragedy. Move on.
    a book hardly. And if you couldnt care less how come you negged me back - at least i had the courage to leave my username - something you did not.

pedo-esque username lmao how did you figure that? I didnt single you out per se your post was something i simply paid more attention to than due to the size of the font. By all means have a pop at my typos - it matters not to me. And i think i will move on - your lack of intelligence would be an exercise in futility to have a discussion with - your seeming infallibility (otherwise known as a know it all) being an obvious indicator

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.