Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think james may is the best at least he doesnt think he's someone he's not, i used to like clarkson, until he became all pompous and up his own a*** after people wanted him to become PM, and hammond, the hair, nuff said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haraze)
    Isn't that the point of James' character though?

Cause i'm pretty sure that most of Top Gear is scripted, so it's all part of the act.

He's meant to be the pedantic, blithering idiot.
    But he is not...he is actually the smartest, most likeable character there because he is genuine. If I were to invite someone round for dinner, it would be James May everytime because Clarkson would be an embarrassment with his bigoted views, albeit funny and Hammond is pretty boring.

I realise it is mostly scripted but in that case, they script James out too much when he has something quite important to say. It is ridiculous.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    But he is not...he is actually the smartest, most likeable character there because he is genuine. If I were to invite someone round for dinner, it would be James May everytime because Clarkson would be an embarrassment with his bigoted views, albeit funny and Hammond is pretty boring.

I realise it is mostly scripted but in that case, they script James out too much when he has something quite important to say. It is ridiculous.
    Having James round to dinner would, I think, be pretty boring. You make it sound like the others hate him, but it's obviously just banter. I read his motoring coluumn occasionally, and half the time he's spot on right, the other half he writes fallacious BS. They cut him out sometimes because it's good TV. Not many viewers want to spend an hour hearing how James worked out some arduous, vaguely car related equation.

Clarkson is I think fairly genuine, and probably very clever, if also a total arse. But you can't have everything, and he is hilarious. I also love it that he doesn't play things by the PC book, it's nice to see someone on telly sticking up two fingers to it every now and then.

Hammond I agree is perhaps the more boring, but he's nice enough.

Each presenter has his own personality, which is exaggerated and played on by the producers to make the program better and more amusing. That's how good TV works.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be expecting to see 17 year olds driving around in a Volvo 940 wagon then because Top Gear say it is the best car for 17 year olds :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

My point exactly - you wouldn't want Clarkson or Hammond round for dinner. That's a pretty good way of summing it up.

(btw I just got an E32 730i - V8)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    My point exactly - you wouldn't want Clarkson or Hammond round for dinner. That's a pretty good way of summing it up.

(btw I just got an E32 730i - V8)
    Go you! The 7 is a lovely car and you can pick good ones up now for a good price, sounds awesome! Get a picture up when you can!

You enjoying the V8 smoothness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Who is this PC brigade? Do I reach them by calling 999?
    hahahhahaah

ReputationRep:
    i like the top gear guys because you can tell theyre quite passionate about their cars, and hence theyre very opinionated, and easy to slate cars. Still, if they like a car, you can probably bet itll be good.

ReputationRep:
    While you guys are chatting about your cars I'm thinking of what to get to replace my Toyota Starlet that was written off. I can either be sensible and get another Toyota Starlet, or go mad and get a 1.8 Toyota Celica or a 1.7 Ford Puma. Bear in mind I need a reliable car to make deliveries in, seen some good ones on Autotrader for around £1000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    While you guys are chatting about your cars I'm thinking of what to get to replace my Toyota Starlet that was written off. I can either be sensible and get another Toyota Starlet, or go mad and get a 1.8 Toyota Celica or a 1.7 Ford Puma. Bear in mind I need a reliable car to make deliveries in, seen some good ones on Autotrader for around £1000.
    The Puma is a brilliant car. As in one of the most fun handling FWD cars you're likely to come across. Strongly recommend you take one out for a spin!

As for TG, anyone who looks to them/allows their kids to look to them for some sort of moral leadership, need their heads feeling.

Clarkson comes over as very opinionated, but a genuinely nice chap who's quite intelligent. Clearly knows what he's talking about, but often dumbs it down, or says something controversial purely for a reaction. I happen to agree with most of his views though!

May seems like a true gent with a passion for engineering. I think he's under-utilised by the writers, as he's got a brilliant dry wit and explains the complex stuff in an amusing way. Wish they'd stop cutting him so much.

Hammond started off ok, but after his accident, popularity seemed to go to his head. Now he comes over an insufferably smug and pretty narcissistic. I still think he's probably a nice chap underneath and can still do a good road test when he wants to...but I wish he'd drop the condescension and silly hair.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmmmmm

Could've sworn I've made a thread before stating JC's a prick, everone said I was wrong.

Now........Everyone's agreeing.

hmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Now........Everyone's agreeing.
    Some people are agreeing. I still think he's a legend.

ReputationRep:
    He is a prick but thats his entire angle.

The show is about as connected to reality as Big Brother is.

Clarkson, May and Hammond are all playing characters and they have a perfect dynamic.

James May is the gentle and intelligent factore, Clarkson is the antagonist and Hammond is the 'hero' and middle ground.

All 3 are characters that people can identify with and thats why the show is so wildly popular..

Look at 5th gear for example.. its rubbish - the presenters may all have race experiance but you just can't identify with them at all as they cannot present very well.

Top Gears format usually has 1 long challenge with a beginning a middle and an end and some banter inbetween with the odd review.

Its not going to bring about the end of the world any way.

ReputationRep:
    Best show on TV, I like all of them, but JC's my favourite. It's getting a bit too obviously scripted now on the normal show, but the specials are brilliant as always.

ReputationRep:
    Why does everything get blamed on Top Gear? Speeding? All Top Gear's fault, bad parenting? Top Gear's fault again, the earth heating up due to global warming? Yeah you guessed it Top Gear's fault.

Top Gear is an car show with 3 middle aged men who still believe they are 12, having the best time of their lives, and basically asking 'How hard can it be to build an rocket from an Robin 3 wheeler?' etc etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.