Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does it put you at any disadvantage being a 2nd time applicant?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you do on your gap year, if you can relate it somehow to medicine/helping people/improving yourself as a person, then in general i would say no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to reapply and from what I've heard aslong as you enjoy and do worthwhile things in your gap year it can be a big advantage as you will be more mature and will already have your results.

ReputationRep:
    if you get AAA take a gap year. if not i would suggest grad entry as ALevel grade requirements are now going up. i missed my grades, reapplied and have received straight rejections without interview, even though i had bloody good reasons for dropping a grade and i only missed out by a couple of marks. so in my case it has been a complete waste of a year - one of the worst of my life infact BUT it can be advantageous and incredibly worthwhile if you get decent experiences that leaves you as a much better student and consequently a much better dr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    ALevel grade requirements are now going up. i missed my grades,
    hmmm...what unis told you this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cousto)
    hmmm...what unis told you this?
    southampton are definitely going up. I think peninsula are too. bsms are asking fo A*AB or AAA for 2011 entry. you are best off contacting them directly or checking websites/prospecti but things are getting more difficult with the introduction of the A*. i have a feeling manchester may be going up to AAA too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    southampton are definitely going up. I think peninsula are too. bsms are asking fo A*AB or AAA for 2011 entry. you are best off contacting them directly or checking websites/prospecti but things are getting more difficult with the introduction of the A*. i have a feeling manchester may be going up to AAA too
    hmm....I think i'm change one of my unis for next year and ask different unis now about their requirements. I guess I should just start looking at revising for my last exams and incorporate UKCAT revision asw ell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    bsms are asking fo A*AB or AAA for 2011 entry.
    How do you know that? There 2011 requirements aren't published on their website or on UCAS yet...

ReputationRep:
    hmm....I think i'm change one of my unis for next year and ask different unis now about their requirements. I guess I should just start looking at revising for my last exams and incorporate UKCAT revision asw ell
    have you got 4 rejections? the best thing you can do now is work as hard as you can to get AAA or A*AB. Before you submit your new ucas form, make sure you contact each uni directly and ask their requirements - i cannot stress this enough. get it in writing. you do not want to end up like me having wasted a year of your life when you could have gone to uni instead. believe me rejections are a hell of a lot worse second time round. be wise with your application and it should work to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theatrical)
    How do you know that? There 2011 requirements aren't published on their website or on UCAS yet...
    here's the link
    http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/faq.php

"360 UCAS points for three A-levels, following the study four subjects to AS level. These may be achieved by obtaining AAA or A*AB at A-level."

and southampton said on one of their open days they were going upto AAA. im not too sure about peninsula or manchester, they sent me an email but i cant be bothered right now to look at it.

just out of interest, im considering doing neuroscience at manchester and was reading an old post of yours where you knew a fair bit about life sciences. im abit worried about my interview that i had on wednesday. it was entirely based on me missing my grades for medicine and they said i should hear within the next week. it didn't go too well at all and i told them that i was rejected from all med schools this year after they pushed me to admit the truth. should i be preparing myself for another rejection?

ReputationRep:
    you should be preparing to be jumpin up and doon in the med school bar, macca. your time is comin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)

just out of interest, im considering doing neuroscience at manchester and was reading an old post of yours where you knew a fair bit about life sciences. im abit worried about my interview that i had on wednesday. it was entirely based on me missing my grades for medicine and they said i should hear within the next week. it didn't go too well at all and i told them that i was rejected from all med schools this year after they pushed me to admit the truth. should i be preparing myself for another rejection?
    Hey. I did a pharmacology and physiology degree at Manchester before I applied for medicine, that's how I knew quite a bit about life sciences there. As for your interview, try not to worry about it. Interviews are so hard to guage, it's impossible to tell.

Just out of interest, did people in your tour group get told they had offers in their interviews, or do they not do that anymore?

ReputationRep:
    interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theatrical)
    Hey. I did a pharmacology and physiology degree at Manchester before I applied for medicine, that's how I knew quite a bit about life sciences there. As for your interview, try not to worry about it. Interviews are so hard to guage, it's impossible to tell.

Just out of interest, did people in your tour group get told they had offers in their interviews, or do they not do that anymore?
    well in my tour group, no one was told about offers afterwards. we were all told ucas track would update within the next week. however i have a friend who was given a verbal offer after his interview for neuroscience, so i'm not too sure. Liz Sheffield did say that they only reject about 10% of interviewees on each day and i can't help but think i'm in the 10%...

ReputationRep:
    Does it put you at any disadvantage being a 2nd time applicant?
    If you are not retaking anything, I think applying for a second time doesn't really disadvantage you, so long as you can show you did something vaguely constructive, even working in sainsburies for money to fund your course is enough really. I guy I know at UCL just worked at tesco in his gap year, so don't think you need to take expensive gap year trips abroad.

ReputationRep:
    It worked for me
    I reapplied with 3A's, and I have two offers already and an interview in Tuesday
    Dont give up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.