Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not quite the typical i like a girl thread... (advise needed) watch

Hey,

I'm in my first year of uni. The social side isn't going too well for me, I don't really like my flatmates, as they are far too into drinking. I did used to go out with them, but stopped as I did something stupid, and now my social life here sucks.

So on freshers week I met a girl who I liked, and it seemed she liked me. She always came over to me on nights out and all was good. Got her number and we went to lectures together, just us two, and that remains to this day. I don't see her out anymore though as I don't go out, as stated above. Last night I went out for a meal with her for her birthday. Her flatmates were there and a couple of other people who lived near her. I felt special that I was one of the 7 people invited, didn't think she thought of me as such a good friend. I knew her flatmates from when I used to go out, but hadn't seen them for months, but still got on well with them. I totally envy them, they all get on really well and do other social activities apart from drinking, and wish I knew how to get in their crowd.

Also this girl, I'd like to know how to ask her to do something apart from lectures. It's not like she's someone I look at from the other side of the room, I sit next to her and we talk. Conversation isn't always great, but I'm not at my best at the moment. How can I ask her out to do something, I mean as friends, I like her, but I think I want to become a better friend, more than go out with her.

Sorry about the essay, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    tell her that she makes you feel special (being invited).
    best thing to do is just tell her.
    make her laugh.
    check ou back-ground 1st (does she have a bf?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEEK)
    tell her that she makes you feel special (being invited).
    best thing to do is just tell her.
    make her laugh.
    check ou back-ground 1st (does she have a bf?)
    Just be honest

ReputationRep:
    Maybe after a lecture ask if she wants to get a coffee/go for lunch together. She obviously wants to be your friend or she wouldn't have invited you to her birthday party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little.miss.vicki)
    Maybe after a lecture ask if she wants to get a coffee/go for lunch together. She obviously wants to be your friend or she wouldn't have invited you to her birthday party.
    follow this advice and you may get somewhere.

Thanks for the advise guys!

No she doesn't have a boyfriend, apparently she got with some guy, a friend told me this, but don't know what has come of it. This was months ago, but they are still in contact. Her facebook still lists her as single.

I did ask her ages ago if she wanted to do something but I think she got the wrong end of the stick and thought I was asking her out. I left it at that. I'll give it another go, I just want to get to know her better. I've never asked a girl out in my life so it's not something I know much about and feel I'd want to be really good friends with someone before I knew if I liked them like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

I'm in my first year of uni. The social side isn't going too well for me, I don't really like my flatmates, as they are far too into drinking. I did used to go out with them, but stopped as I did something stupid, and now my social life here sucks.

So on freshers week I met a girl who I liked, and it seemed she liked me. She always came over to me on nights out and all was good. Got her number and we went to lectures together, just us two, and that remains to this day. I don't see her out anymore though as I don't go out, as stated above. Last night I went out for a meal with her for her birthday. Her flatmates were there and a couple of other people who lived near her. I felt special that I was one of the 7 people invited, didn't think she thought of me as such a good friend. I knew her flatmates from when I used to go out, but hadn't seen them for months, but still got on well with them. I totally envy them, they all get on really well and do other social activities apart from drinking, and wish I knew how to get in their crowd.

Also this girl, I'd like to know how to ask her to do something apart from lectures. It's not like she's someone I look at from the other side of the room, I sit next to her and we talk. Conversation isn't always great, but I'm not at my best at the moment. How can I ask her out to do something, I mean as friends, I like her, but I think I want to become a better friend, more than go out with her.

Sorry about the essay, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Get her drunk and TAP THAT

ReputationRep:
    Say "do you want a coffee after lecture" then do the same for a couple of days and build your relationship further then say "do you want to go for a drink later" then maybe if you're lucky you can sex her.

ReputationRep:
    In what respect is this not typical?

(Original post by Bobifier)
    In what respect is this not typical?
    Because I actually know her, not look at her from over the room and never talk to her.

And guys, thanks, but I don't just want to have sex with her and move on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.