Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have an interview for BVetMed next week. I keep getting advised to ask some questions to the interviewers at the end to show that your keen etc. But im really stuck on what sort of questions to ask. does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks for your help
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    I think the best questions relate to a problem you discussed in the interview, but nothing too deep as the conversation is drawing to an end.

Or be a moron like me and ask 'errr... how many applicants did you get this year'? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to ask a question (which, as you've discovered, is well recommended!), don't ask anything that you could have easily found out by reading the prospectus or on the website. That would show that you're not particularly interested in the relevant uni (where are you interviewing, by the way?) and haven't bothered to do the basic footwork in finding out about it.

Some people have asked about particular bits of the course, perhaps involving their past experience or what they want to do and how it might apply when they're studying, accommodation, new facilities and research. I've asked about EMS abroad and intercalation, to name a few.

At my Bristol interview, I ended up asking quite a few questions, and we stayed on chatting for about ten minutes after they'd finished the actual interview questions the wanted to ask me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't ask a question unless there is something you want to know. I can't help but lol at people trying to force every single aspect of an application.

Just be natural. If you ask something predecided and it is totally out of sync with the interview etc it will seem forced.

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    If you decide to ask a question (which, as you've discovered, is well recommended!), don't ask anything that you could have easily found out by reading the prospectus or on the website. That would show that you're not particularly interested in the relevant uni (where are you interviewing, by the way?) and haven't bothered to do the basic footwork in finding out about it.
    x2.

Good topics of conversation:
    -Planned/new facilities
    -Potential changes to the course (ie; how it's taught, new content, etc)
    -Intercalation

ReputationRep:
    For a safe fallback, "Is there any reading you suggest I do before the course?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    -Intercalation
    This is a good one, but make sure you pronounce it correctly and don't get corrected by the interviewer :o:

ReputationRep:
    Never force yourself to ask a question as they can tell it's not genuine. I think i asked how many places they give away at one interview but nothing at my other 4 and i have offers from them all so it clearly doesn't affect you too much!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated! I think asking bout EMS abroad is a good one as thats something im interested in And my interview is at RVC PowerLewis
    Thanks again
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramaqueen99)
    thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated! I think asking bout EMS abroad is a good one as thats something im interested in And my interview is at RVC PowerLewis
    Thanks again
    Emily
    When is your interview? I have an RVC one on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again
    Emily
    Be prepared for a come back question as to why you think getting EMS abroad would be of more benefit to doing it in the UK. Broaden horizons, compliment EMS gained in the UK, different perspectives etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I was also wondering about what questions to ask. I have a bristol interview, and I was wondering whether they might be slightly offended if I mentioned the rumors about their facilities not being top notch, and if they were doing anything about it? Or maybe I should just ask them to describe the facilities since we didnt get to see them at open days?

ReputationRep:
    mines on thursday too steph_v
    Thanks for the advice pyrogena, sounds sensible
    And ~*starlight*conquest*~ maybe ask bristol if they have any new building work in the pipline? rather than saying their facilities arent up to scratch? they may take that a lil better If i remember rightly when i went to see it the buildings were fairly old. I think they do have planning for upgrading n building new stuff but wouldnt be finished till after i have left.
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    mines on thursday too steph_v
    Thanks for the advice pyrogena, sounds sensible
    And ~*starlight*conquest*~ maybe ask bristol if they have any new building work in the pipline? rather than saying their facilities arent up to scratch? they may take that a lil better If i remember rightly when i went to see it the buildings were fairly old. I think they do have planning for upgrading n building new stuff but wouldnt be finished till after i have left.
    Emily
    Ahh, cool. Are you in the Vet Applicants 2010 facebook group? If you are, add me so I can recognise you! I'm an admin and I also posted something asking if anyone else had an interview on Thursday. What time is yours? Mine is at 11:45 and I'm on the 10:45 tour.

ReputationRep:
    Mines at 12:10 i think, and my tours after that, bout 1pm i think.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't ask any questions at the end of my interviews (always saying 'nope, everything's been pretty self-explanatory').

Actually that's not true, at my Cambridge interview I asked whether it's advisable that I take the Physics module without Physics A Level, to which she replied 'we'll discuss that in September' lool

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had an interview already at RVC? Any pointers from those that have? Am SOOOO nervous its untrue!!!

ReputationRep:
    i have a question i rally want to know the answer to at bristol, but is specific to one accom block so the interviewers probs won know the answer. and i have a good last question to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had an interview already at RVC? Any pointers from those that have? Am SOOOO nervous its untrue!!!
    RVC interviews are supposed to be really nice and friendly, so don't worry about it. Have you had any other interviews?

ReputationRep:
    On the point of EMS abroad, they don't actually like or encourage it during your studies. International vets aren't regulated in the same way ours are, the insurance doesn't cover you, it's harder to build up a good rapport with the practice, the drugs used may be different and so on.
    But feel free to ask it anyway, especially if it's a relevant question to yourself as it was to me, as it's a good talking point

The interview at RVC is nice, really, they're sweethearts. It just didn't go my way last year because it wasn't what I expected and all the questions threw me a bit. Is it all in Camden this year?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.