Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)

The interview at RVC is nice, really, they're sweethearts. It just didn't go my way last year because it wasn't what I expected and all the questions threw me a bit. Is it all in Camden this year?
    No I'm pretty sure they are all out at Hawkshead.....I haven't heard of any being in Camden yet

ReputationRep:
    Some of the gateway ones are at Camden this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    On the point of EMS abroad, they don't actually like or encourage it during your studies. International vets aren't regulated in the same way ours are, the insurance doesn't cover you, it's harder to build up a good rapport with the practice, the drugs used may be different and so on.
    But feel free to ask it anyway, especially if it's a relevant question to yourself as it was to me, as it's a good talking point

The interview at RVC is nice, really, they're sweethearts. It just didn't go my way last year because it wasn't what I expected and all the questions threw me a bit. Is it all in Camden this year?
    nah the camden ones were those two in december. all the ones now are at hawkshead

ReputationRep:
    I think I asked about summer research projects that students did, but mine were questions which were really quite specific to the university I was at (eg Edinburgh: how many vet students get to work in the zoo? Lol I actually asked that one, must have sounded so childish - although obviously they didn't mind).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~)
    I have a bristol interview, and I was wondering whether they might be slightly offended if I mentioned the rumors about their facilities not being top notch, and if they were doing anything about it? Or maybe I should just ask them to describe the facilities since we didnt get to see them at open days?
    Several years ago the RCVS visited Bristol as they do every vet school on a pretty regular basis. They highlighted several areas of concern such as case load in the veterinary hospital, the need for expansion of the on site farm, the need to redevelop some of the facilities in the foreseeable future along with trivial matters such as waste disposal and health and safety.

A couple of years on (ie; last year) the RCVS returned to review Bristol's progress - they were impressed but concluded that they couldn't give Bristol a clean bill of health because some of the changes had only recently been made (ie; the setting up of Langford Veterinary Services) and some of the developments had not been completed (ie; the new SA hospital, equine department, etc).

Given that you're only just in the process of applying we're talking about 8ish months before you potentially get to Bristol (at the earliest) and then you've got 3 years of preclinical work (at the earliest) - by which time all of the new facilities will have been finished, bedded in and the RCVS will have signed it all oiff.

Lets put things into context, if you're worried about Bristol you should be worried about Nottingham which hasn't yet recieved RCVS accrediation and you should also be worried about RVC which has year groups of 200+ and has recently radically changed it's course structure and how it's taught.

Bristol students are still held in high regard - it was only a couple of weeks ago that a practice manager told me how Bristol (and Liverpool) students tended to integrate into practices better and ultimately make better vets. Of course this is only their opinion but it's something I've heard on many of my placements. Likewise Bristol is still RCVS accredited and it's graduates have no problems finding work.

If it bothers you that much why did you bother to apply there? Why didn't you do any research? Why do you prefer to listen to gossip and rumour rather than finding out the truth for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Several years ago the RCVS visited Bristol as they do every vet school on a pretty regular basis. They highlighted several areas of concern such as case load in the veterinary hospital, the need for expansion of the on site farm, the need to redevelop some of the facilities in the foreseeable future along with trivial matters such as waste disposal and health and safety.

A couple of years on (ie; last year) the RCVS returned to review Bristol's progress - they were impressed but concluded that they couldn't give Bristol a clean bill of health because some of the changes had only recently been made (ie; the setting up of Langford Veterinary Services) and some of the developments had not been completed (ie; the new SA hospital, equine department, etc).

Given that you're only just in the process of applying we're talking about 8ish months before you potentially get to Bristol (at the earliest) and then you've got 3 years of preclinical work (at the earliest) - by which time all of the new facilities will have been finished, bedded in and the RCVS will have signed it all oiff.

Lets put things into context, if you're worried about Bristol you should be worried about Nottingham which hasn't yet recieved RCVS accrediation and you should also be worried about RVC which has year groups of 200+ and has recently radically changed it's course structure and how it's taught.

Bristol students are still held in high regard - it was only a couple of weeks ago that a practice manager told me how Bristol (and Liverpool) students tended to integrate into practices better and ultimately make better vets. Of course this is only their opinion but it's something I've heard on many of my placements. Likewise Bristol is still RCVS accredited and it's graduates have no problems finding work.

If it bothers you that much why did you bother to apply there? Why didn't you do any research? Why do you prefer to listen to gossip and rumour rather than finding out the truth for yourself?
    That does clear up a few things. I did do some research, mainly on the bristol website because I wanted information I could trust, but my searches weren't very fruitful. They seemed to avoid showing pictures of Langford and facilities, which was rather suspicious. We weren't shown the Langford site either at the open days. I never did say it bothered me, otherwise I wouldn't have applied there, but it is somewhat important don't you think? Not the ratings, but the facilities. The more there is, the more you can practice using them right? It irritates me that you jump to conclusions. Rumors often start from a grain of truth, and the fact that I am asking obviously means that I want to clarify the situation and know the truth rather than simply being content with what I heard from rumors.

ReputationRep:
    It irritates me that you jump to conclusions. Rumors often start from a grain of truth, and the fact that I am asking obviously means that I want to clarify the situation and know the truth rather than simply being content with what I heard from rumors.
    It irritates me that I have to answer this very question (or something similar) on a pretty damn regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    That does clear up a few things. I did do some research, mainly on the bristol website because I wanted information I could trust, but my searches weren't very fruitful. They seemed to avoid showing pictures of Langford and facilities, which was rather suspicious. We weren't shown the Langford site either at the open days. I never did say it bothered me, otherwise I wouldn't have applied there, but it is somewhat important don't you think? Not the ratings, but the facilities. The more there is, the more you can practice using them right? It irritates me that you jump to conclusions. Rumors often start from a grain of truth, and the fact that I am asking obviously means that I want to clarify the situation and know the truth rather than simply being content with what I heard from rumors.
    there is a special langford open day, and they actually show you around the buildings, its all very spacious and looks very well designed for teaching.
    they have a treadmill for sports horse stuff dont they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    there is a special langford open day, and they actually show you around the buildings, its all very spacious and looks very well designed for teaching.
    they have a treadmill for sports horse stuff dont they?
    When is that? I know you get a tour of it when you get interviewed, but I haven't heard of a special langford open day. That sounds nice. I wonder how the horses take to the treadmill :eek: the ones I work with would go absolutely berserk...sounds cool though.

ReputationRep:
    I went on the tour around Langford when i was there for my interview, it all looked fine and dandy to me . The two fifth years that showed us around, couldn't speak more highly of their university. They also talked about the on going improvements, as did Lynda Moore in her talk. Any problems there 'may' be, are definately being sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    I went on the tour around Langford when i was there for my interview, it all looked fine and dandy to me . The two fifth years that showed us around, couldn't speak more highly of their university. They also talked about the on going improvements, as did Lynda Moore in her talk. Any problems there 'may' be, are definitely being sorted out.
    That's a relief. Well done on your bristol offer! Fingers crossed I'll be joining you this year D:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.