Turn on thread page Beta

57% and 53% ok/good marks for a 1st year mature student on first 2 assignments? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know 40% is generally a pass and above 60% is great but what is 50-60?

Just very paranoid since I started course later than others but lecturer said he would take that into account plus meant to get leniency for my dyslexia and dyspraxia but dont know if they have, and if they have if they marked me up because of this and my work isnt good

ReputationRep:
    2:2 which is ok I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    2:2 which is ok I guess
    you guessed right

Hope you don't take that sort of approach at uni

ReputationRep:
    Thats a 2:2. Its not brilliant, but its ok. At least its not a fail or a third =]

ReputationRep:
    The 1st year is mainly about getting everyone up to par, so focus and you'll do much better as you go through the year. Apparently it's this new thing mankind discovered in 2010, it's called 'progression' or something silly.

ReputationRep:
    2:2, it's okay. Don't forget uni assignments are different/harder than a-level ect., so as long as your scores keep on improving throughout the year I wouldn't fret too much

ReputationRep:
    That ok for first year don't worry about it, you've still got summer exams as well right?

First year is the year where you can be pretty mediocre and not worry much about it (not that your results are that mediocre anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    I know 40% is generally a pass and above 60% is great but what is 50-60?

Just very paranoid since I started course later than others but lecturer said he would take that into account plus meant to get leniency for my dyslexia and dyspraxia but dont know if they have, and if they have if they marked me up because of this and my work isnt good
    That's ok for first year marks on first assignments. You really ought to be aiming for 60% minimum, which is a 2:i. Most graduate jobs require a 2:i and are unlikely to look at you with less. 2:i isn't great. A first is great. 2:i is what the vast majority of people get, and won't put you at any disadvantage. You have a good amount of room to improve, though your situation cuts you a bit of slack.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I was part time 2 years ago and 2 people out of like 30 people got 62% and this year out of like 15 students 1 got above 58%

ReputationRep:
    Really? I was part time 2 years ago and 2 people out of like 30 people got 62% and this year out of like 15 students 1 got above 58%

I wouldn't worry too much. You're in 1st year, but perhaps approach your lecturers and talk about your work. They might be able to give you some hints as to what is required to break in to the 2:1 bracket.

ReputationRep:
    What course and what uni is this? I'm going on the basis of top unis, which tend to have 60% or more graduating with a 2:i or better. First year marks might be a bit different, but note that in some subjects (law, for example) first year marks matter a lot.

I'm stunned at how few people were managing a 2:i in first year--my first year marks were almost all 2:is (one 2:ii, one 1st).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    What course and what uni is this? I'm going on the basis of top unis, which tend to have 60% or more graduating with a 2:i or better. First year marks might be a bit different, but note that in some subjects (law, for example) first year marks matter a lot.

I'm stunned at how few people were managing a 2:i in first year--my first year marks were almost all 2:is (one 2:ii, one 1st).
    Media degree at Hull

ReputationRep:
    Media degree at Hull
    I would have thought more people would be in the 2:i/first bracket than that at Hull. I stand corrected...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    I would have thought more people would be in the 2:i/first bracket than that at Hull. I stand corrected...
    In my experience people get higher on presentations and practical.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, it's not great. It's not terrible, and I'm sure you'll be fine if you carry on improving, so just make sure you keep aiming higher.

I'm in my first year too (although I do psychology) and I'd say the average was about 60-65% for assignments. Some get consistently higher than this, and a few get consistently lower. Personally, I think I got 64% and 68% for my first two, and I'm now averaging about 70%. I don't seem to be able to get much higher than this yet, but then again I wouldn't expect to yet.

I'd say once you get to 60-65%, you're sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to put you down but so far I have got above 80% in all my work. You shouldn't worry though because the first year does not count toward your final grade so you should take this as practice and you should use the feedback from these assignments to get higher marks later on.

ReputationRep:
    I only got 50-60% throughout my first degree. I never struggled finding a job after I graduated but I wasn't going for 'graduate' jobs, I was going for jobs that interested me.

This time I'm hoping to do better. I'm much more focused than I was first time round!

ReputationRep:
    i'm averaging over 70% in my year

but in all fairness this is a monkey course, like a watered down version of psychology and maths all rolled into a nice little package.

Lesson:

If your doing a decent course, I would swap courses with you right now because you've got some passes in the bag and something to work from. AND your studying a 'proper' subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytona01)
    i'm averaging over 70% in my year

but in all fairness this is a monkey course, like a watered down version of psychology and maths all rolled into a nice little package.

Lesson:

If your doing a decent course, I would swap courses with you right now because you've got some passes in the bag and something to work from. AND your studying a 'proper' subject
    What course are you doing, that media is so very much better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I don't mean to put you down but so far I have got above 80% in all my work. You shouldn't worry though because the first year does not count toward your final grade so you should take this as practice and you should use the feedback from these assignments to get higher marks later on.
    What are you studying? Unless you're doing an arts subject it's not really a fair comparison. (As a mark of comparison, I reached the highest mark ever awarded in one of my modules--not this year, but in the time the class has been taught. I got a 75. Anything over 70 is a big deal in most arts courses.)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.